News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introductions - check in here!

Started by Bullet, December 27, 2012, 12:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sapling

I have homeschooled for 5 yrs, and have 5 children, two of which are not yet school-age. My husband and son have attended Appleseed and I finally got to go with my daughter this past weekend. Our whole family enjoys learning our American history, while working on a skill.

As a newbie, I can say I'm hooked. I already invited a friend to the next event.

Expressman

I was homeschooled, and we'll be homeschooling our kid(s).

Hope to get out to my first event real soon here.
"...if we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson to Thomas Cooper, 29 November 1802

TN_Dadx5

Hi all you Homeschoolers,
My lovely wife and I school our 5 (well 4 of the 5, the 5th is only 3) at home and everywhere we go.  My wife who is a Early Education professional and I planned to home school when we got married.  We knew we could do a better job than those who taught us; ownership brings better performance.  Also, a major issue was the lack of Christian influence in public schooling as well as an anti-Christian prejudice there.  Our oldest is 17 and will graduate next year.
I've been involved in Appleseed since 2010 and find a whole lot of parallels between AS and HS.  And I believe that if the essence of what is America is to be saved, AS & HS will play a large role in it.
'Hope to see you all on the trail!
TN_Dadx5
Charlie
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Prometheus Youngblood

Howdy,

I completed my first Appleseed this past weekend, and I am new to the forum. Thanks for a great weekend, Appleseeders. It exceeded my expectations.

My wife and I are both self-employed and enjoy being able to work out of our home. When our eldest was approaching school-age, we suddenly found it odd to think that we'd be home while shipping him off for 35 hours/week. So...we started looking for alternatives.

We're involved with what is called a University Modeling School (http://www.naums.net). Our kiddos go to school two days per week, and all other schooling happens at home. Outside of the curriculum we complete as part of the school's program, we essentially work with a montessori approach. If one of our kids is interested in something, we try to enrich their learning by supporting them in that interest.

We live in a very rural area and feel so blessed to be able to provide our children with room to roam and explore...and LEARN.

I was thrilled to see while first browsing the forum that homeschooling is something that seems to be supported from within the Appleseed community.

Thanks again!

Bullet

Welcome, Prometheus Youngblood and all those who have posted since my last comment. Glad y'all are around. Keep up the great work you're doing with your kids.

Also, if you're on facebook, be sure to "like" the Appleseed Homeschoolers facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/AppleseedHomeschoolers
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

D.O.M.

Hello, I don't know how I missed this section of the forum, but I'm a Home Schooling Dad. My wife and I educate our boy and girl, and have since the beginning. My wife's idea initially, but she totally sold me on it, and wow, did I marry up, or what?  :bow:

I checked out AS because I had signed my wife up for a ladyseed. She (required) that I attend first to check it out. I was sold upon the first words out of the shoot boss' mouth, which was a John Adam's quote. I had no idea other people in my state thought like I did. By the end of the weekend, I had heard a home schooled young man IIT give a DOM story, and he gave it with heart! Amazing. Obviously, I was recruited to help bail. I have promoted at various homeschool events, and have found that homeschoolers are more apt to listen to the story and agree with it than people you meet at, say, a gun show.
very cool.
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

James Meyette

Been homeschooling for about 10 years now. Just recently found out about Appleseed. All I can say is what a Blessing.

Looking forward to my boys becoming marksmen and learning even more about our rebellious and brilliant forefathers. 

HomeschoolPater

I'm a homeschool Dad near Jackson, TN.

I have one girl and three boys. My daughter and eldest son are shooting age. The rest soon!

Greetings Everyone!

inSANEmom

Homeschool mom here...

We have two kids... girl 11 and boy 14. Son and I just completed our first Appleseed and I came home and registered for another one in October. We thoroughly enjoyed the shooting instruction and the history lesson. I highly recommend it for anyone even remotely interested in shooting.
-----AMY-----

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. - Ronald Reagan

Pain Killer

Sorry to hijack this post, but you may also want to participate with the new Libertyseed Forum as well. We are just getting it up and running and there is a Home Schooling section as well. It is almost a clean slate and I could use your help to add content. You can log on and register at
http://libertyseed.org/smf/index.php

If you are currently an Appleseed Instructor send me a PM to be registered as an Instructor. I will need an email address with that PM.

Please check us out today!
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Skijor3

Hi,
I'm in Minnesota. I just attended my first Appleseed this weekend. I am a home educator and see this as being a wonderful way to share our nation's history with my son in a year or two. I cannot wait to go again!

KatNipp

I am a homeschool mom in the New York City area.  Went to our first AS this past weekend as a family.  We use a classical approach to homeschooling and have studied the founding fathers and the Constitution for 3 years, AS was the perfect hands on activity for my kids, I wish I found out about it sooner.  I would volunteer to run an Appleseed table at homeschool conventions and I will be spreading the word about Appleseed in the homeschool community here in NY.  This is a great program and worth its weight in gold.

Josey Wales

..Hello Katnip, it's Nick (Josey Wales) from this weekend at Westchester.  I can get you all you need for that table just let me know when and where..

........ JW.......   
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Pampushka

So I am Pampushka... it is a childhood nickname from my Ukrainian grandmother.  I just attended my first round with Project Appleseed with the CROWD of homeschoolers in Grand Junction, CO.  My husband and I have 5 children (ages 10-4) and our oldest two went with us to the Appleseed shoot.  It was a FABULOUS day... everyone I talked to was already discussing when we can do it again.  The homeschooling network is a great way to promote Appleseed.  I am excited to see what the future holds for us.

Bullet

That event sounded amazing - I would love to do that kind of thing in other states, too.

I agree....homeschooling and Appleseed seem like they were made for each other.

Be sure to check out the Appleseed Follow-Through guide - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=33556.0 . I actually created it with homeschoolers in mind, to help families get the most out of each shoot and to let them know how they can continue participating in the Appleseed program.

Quote from: Pampushka on November 08, 2013, 12:42:15 PM
So I am Pampushka... it is a childhood nickname from my Ukrainian grandmother.  I just attended my first round with Project Appleseed with the CROWD of homeschoolers in Grand Junction, CO.  My husband and I have 5 children (ages 10-4) and our oldest two went with us to the Appleseed shoot.  It was a FABULOUS day... everyone I talked to was already discussing when we can do it again.  The homeschooling network is a great way to promote Appleseed.  I am excited to see what the future holds for us.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Moylan

Homeschool dad of 5 here.  Our oldest is 13, youngest is 2.  They've all been homeschooled straight through.  My 2 older boys and I went to our first appleseed in the fall, and have now been to 3--but we've only been able to get to one day per weekend.  My boys have really loved their time at appleseed.  They were very disappointed to find out we can't go this month, but we're planning to do the whole weekend in Feb. 

We're fortunate to be only a little more than an hour's drive from Ramseur, but I'd still like to eventually be able to have some events right here in our immediate area, to make it that much easier for our local homeschooling associations to turn out in large numbers.  I'm hoping to spend this coming year working hard at AS down at Ramseur so that by sometime in 2015 I can help make some events happen closer to home. 

We've had lots of good dinner table discussions of April 19 and related stuff--especially over the last few days, since I've been reading Paul Revere's Ride for the first time and sharing some of the details with them that we hadn't gotten to in our appleseeds.  Our daughters are really enjoying that, too.  (They know a lot of stuff about it already from reading Johnny Tremain and other books like that.)  At this point, our oldest daughter doesn't have any interest in shooting, but I think she'd like a libertyseed, and I bet her friends would, too.  So that's high on the agenda, along with the normal shootin' type of appleseed. 

The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Pain Killer

Adam will be your Shoot Boss for that event in Ramseur. Be sure to let him know you are interested to become an instructor and help set up an Appleseed in your home town. He is the State Coordinator for NC and he can help you get started.

Thanks for the Interest,

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Moylan

Thanks, and I will.  I'm actually hoping to hit 210 on the first AQT of the weekend and start wearing an orange hat right away.  But time will tell.  Last month, I shot a 208 and a 206--unfortunately failed to get off a few shots each time due to slowness.  I'm trying to speed things up a little so I can get over that 210 hump.  Just one more round!   :) 

Of course, another reason for not hitting 210 was that I still hit all over the offhand target like a shotgun pattern.  Really need to tighten that up, too.  Lots more room for improvement.   ~~:)
The chief mark of the Declaration of Independence is the theory of equality.  It is the pure classic conception that no man must aspire to be anything more than a citizen, and that no man should endure to be anything less. 

--GK Chesterton

I believe in liberty very much as Jefferson did, allowing for the fact that a hundred years of history and experience have taught me to believe a little more than he did in original sin.

--also GK Chesterton

Red Niva

Well I've been here for a while and just found this page! Anyway, I'm Hannah and I've been homeschooled for 6 years now. I do appleseed because I enjoy all the people and I care for this country and its remarkable heritage. I shot rifleman in 2011 and took an orange hat. I turn 16 wednesday so i am working for my red hat in the next two weeks!
"Darkness is returning to Paradise. Are you ready?" Johnny Drake

"From the desert has come a voice crying in the wilderness, and his name is John. Johnny Drake to be more precise. But ask his disciples and they will tell you his mission is no less defined than the mission of John the Baptist, who first introduced the Light from heaven to the world over two thousand years ago. The multitudes listened to John, who told them that Jesus of Nazareth was the Way to God. Then Herod toke John's head.
  Now the question begs us: Will the world listen to Johnny Drake? And who will take his head?"   Quote from the book, "Sinner" by Ted Dekker

Abunchofboys

Active duty Navy submarine family here. As the forum name implies, we do have a bunch of boys. 5 to be exact. We have homeschooled all but 1 of them. Currently have 2 out of the house,  a 16 year old in public high school and the 4 and 9 year old are being homeschooled. We homeschooled while stationed in Hawaii for our 2nd and 3rd son but sent them back to public when we moved to CT. Due to issues in the small town school and Common Core, here we are, back at it again.

My 9 year old and I recently attended an Appleseed in Lebanon and had a great time. We will for sure be back again next year.

I came across the Follow through guide and am thinking about putting together a lapbook and some visual aids and sending it to our instructor. He can then pass it around to other AS instructors for help with the kids. Some are visual, like my child, and while he absorbed a lot those two days, this would help him absorb more. Heck, I think I would have loved it too. Any interest in banding together some ideas? I do have the Homeschool In the Woods Revolutionary War CD with printouts on it that we use at home. Great resource by the way!

I would also be willing to pass out AS info/pamphlets at local homeschooling events. Where would I get that from?

Nero

Quote from: Abunchofboys on March 31, 2014, 11:57:17 AM
I would also be willing to pass out AS info/pamphlets at local homeschooling events. Where would I get that from?

First try to contact the 'shoot boss' from your event, or if that's not practicable, make a post in your state's board on this Forum (scroll further down) and someone will jump in to get you a supply.

Thank you for your family's service!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Weezer

Hi.  Another newbie poking around the site after completing my first Appleseed this weekend.   I homeschool my 3 kiddos (ages 2, 7 & 9) - my husband and I made the decision early on for the same reasons many others have mentioned.    We use the classical method and my two favorite subjects to teach are Latin and history.  My kids; however, really just enjoy climbing trees.    ;D  The hubs and I are history buffs, shooting enthusiasts and formidable chess opponents - and so are our progeny (when not climbing trees, that is).  We were blown away by Appleseed and can't wait to introduce our kids to it.  Shooting AND history?  Does life get any better than that?  :)

In the meantime, I'd love to know if you have any suggestions for good children's books on the Revolutionary War.    I'm using the Story of the World series for history (best I've found so far), along with my own personal knowledge gleaned from the metric ton of books I have on my library shelves...but I'd like for the kids to have something on their level that gives them more than a cartoonish sketch of the Founding Fathers.     I have some time, as we're just delving in to Good Queen Bess on our history timeline.   Any suggestions would be great!   Thanks!
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

"Texas Forever, Six!" --Tim Riggins

Charles McKinley

Hi Lady Knox,

I will have to do some digging.  I have picked up a couple at the CHAP convention over the years.  One was an actual coloring book with good facts and pictures in it and one was a chapter book.  Unfortunately I do not have them at hand.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Moylan

Quote from: Lady Knox on May 25, 2014, 11:10:11 PM
In the meantime, I'd love to know if you have any suggestions for good children's books on the Revolutionary War.    I'm using the Story of the World series for history (best I've found so far), along with my own personal knowledge gleaned from the metric ton of books I have on my library shelves...but I'd like for the kids to have something on their level that gives them more than a cartoonish sketch of the Founding Fathers.     I have some time, as we're just delving in to Good Queen Bess on our history timeline.   Any suggestions would be great!   Thanks!
Johnny Tremain is the best place to start for your older two.  I'll look at some of our shelves and see what else the kids read during American History.  I know they read Phoebe the Spy and the Chains and Forge trilogy.  I can't recall what else.  I'll get back to you long before you get from Bloody Bess to the American Revolution.  Welcome to Appleseed!

--GK Chesterton

--also GK Chesterton

Weezer

@Stand & Moylan - thanks!   I remember reading "My Brother Sam is Dead" in school, but not much else besides a bunch of gobbledygook about Honest George and his cherry tree.   ::)   Sadly, most of my knowledge of the American Revolution came from reading on my own during college (mainly to annoy a certain cantankerous professor...then, intrigued, I read on for pleasure).   >:D
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy." -- John Adams

Nero

If you're at all into using video materials, there's the PBS "Liberty's Kids" series.  Haven't seen it myself, but have read OK reviews online.  And I noticed that Amazon right now has the whole 4-DVD, 40-episode series on sale for the princely sum of $5:

http://www.amazon.com/Libertys-Kids-The-Complete-Series/dp/B00CMDPTTA
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

D.O.M.

I second the PBS series "Liberty Kids". I've caught it on occasion, and thought it was executed quite well.

Another resource (and a fine one, at that) is a joint venture of HSLDA and Adventures in Odyssey called "Adventures in American History". Very highly recommended. The CDs contain 28 stories from different periods in our history, including the Revolutionary period.

My little girl (9yo) likes "America's Funny but True History 1750's - 1790's by Elizabeth Levy. It's a much lighter (and less exact) way of expressing the goings on in British America (and the United States of America).

Hope this helps out a little

Rick
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73

Weezer

Am running to Amazon.com now!   

I have a few books on the subject for the kids and *tend* to prefer books to videos because they're easier for me to preview quickly for content.   Also because I'm an old fart trapped in 39-year-old's body:  I don't like TV.    ;D     However, I am willing to make exceptions for good, solid programming.    I think I can handle $5 for a 4-CD set.   O0   

LadyVetch

We liked this unit study... 

http://homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/TTS/AmericanRevolution.htm
And we have watched all of liberty's kids too.

LadyVetch
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

misawa

Hi all - I just noticed this topic today.  My wife and I homeschool our brood - 6, 3, and 3 weeks old.  In a week we start 1st grade with the oldest and some pre-k stuff for the middle child.

I was asked at the VA Homeschooling convention this year why Appleseed didn't have a booth - and a light bulb came on!  Might have to work out something with my SC for 2015!  :)