News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Introductions - check in here!

Started by Bullet, December 27, 2012, 12:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullet

If you've ever been a part of the homeschooling community - whether as a parent, student, grandparent, educator, or otherwise interested party - this is the place for you! Check in and tell us where you're from and why you Appleseed.

Then go tell all your friends that Appleseed actually has a special board just for homeschoolers now, so they really ought to come and see what it's all about.  ;D

I know there are a lot of us out here so don't be shy....let's see how many folks we can round up!
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Bullet

I'll start....I'm from the great state of Texas and I basically learned to shoot at the wonderful range we have in Davilla. That's where I shot Rifleman a year ago; then I received my orange hat there last summer, and my red hat last month.

I was home educated all the way through school, and am still quite involved in local homeschool circles through my friends, my business, and ministries with which I work.

Each month I generally drag a carload of friends with me to a shoot, and I love that it's a great place for the whole family to come. I'm honored to work with such wonderful people who inspire me and help me become a better person and a better American.

So that's my story - I'd love to hear yours.
"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

Mother Cobbler

Hello, I have homeschooled my girls since they were in kindergarten. One graduated in 2011 and two are in the 10th grade.  We went to our first AS because my husband told us we needed to go.  I went for the first year as the driver and observer.  I participated in an AS as a shooter April 2011.  I Loved it.  I accepted a blue hat because I wanted to help.  Last July I was asked by the SC if I would take over the job and told him I did not feel like I was not qualified.  Well in Sept. I again was asked and I stepped up to be SC with my husband, Umdaddy.  I feel AS is the best training we can do for our children.
We live in Arkansas and are trying to get more homeschoolers involved with AS.
Mother Cobbler

Angel

Hey everyone! I'm Mel, or "Angel", also from Texas. As Bullet's sister, I was a victim of her wonderful recruiting skills, and went to my first event last summer. After attending 4 events at Davilla, I finally shot to Rifleman standard and got my orange hat!

I too was home schooled, graduating from One Day Academy in the Austin area last May.

@)

CiviSoldier

Hi all!

I'm from PA, and was able to get my husband to homeschool our oldest daughter for a year.  I'm still interested in the prospect if he ever were to make enough for me to stay home, but for now I'm just 'homeschooling' my daughters on how to play the violin.

If they ever decide to run schools like prisons with armed guards and bars on the doors, homeschooling will be our only choice...    %)

I attended my one and only Appleseed, thus far in September 2012.  I plan on attending, hopefully, 2 next year in anticipation of making my rifleman score! 

Nice to meet you ladies so far, can't wait to hear more.  O0. And thanks for starting this thread!
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
When there is little hope
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far
Remember Who We Are" - Krista Branch

Bullet

Good to see you all on here!

Thank you, Mother Cobbler, for stepping up and helping in Arkansas. Great to hear of a whole family involved. Maybe Angel and I will get to roadtrip up there sometime for a shoot and meet you all...

CiviSoldier, glad to hear you're working toward the rifleman score. I'd guess not only are you teaching your daughters violin, but you're also creating good Americans who know to value their heritage.

OK who's next?

Charles McKinley

July 2011 drug my brother along to Slippery Rock, PA for his birthday and incase I needed help getting away from the crazies!

I brought my oldest daughters (8&9) for the rest of the year.  I took an Orange Hat in Dec. 2011.  Drug my brother to the Ohio IBC in March 2012 for further indoctrination.  ;). (After totaling what we invested in AS he told me I didn't need to get him a present this year!)

Got my red hat this summer ( progress checks and young daughters didn't go well together, so daughters went less this year) and should be a Shoot Boss in Feb. 2013

I have been home schooling since 2005 with only 13 more years to go!  ;D

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

CiviSoldier

Quote from: Bullet on December 27, 2012, 09:46:33 PM
CiviSoldier, glad to hear you're working toward the rifleman score. I'd guess not only are you teaching your daughters violin, but you're also creating good Americans who know to value their heritage.

You guessed right...  Santa sent an American History card game for kids for Christmas this year...  and when they are a little older..  they will be attending Appleseeds as well.
:cool2:
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

Bullet

Stand and Melissa....great to have you on board. Thanks for your work!  O0 O0

CiviSoldier, what card game was it? I'm thinking I should get it for my little brothers...

Johnnyappleseed

Are links available for home school networks ?
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Surveyor1653

The better half of our team has been homeschooling our girls for four years, now.  It's a challenge for her at times but one well worth the effort and I commend her for it.  I plan to step up as an IIT this year and help spread the skillset of the Rifleman.  I'll be starting in my own house and within our family soon.  In addition to our daughters we have a nephew who just joined the ARNG and a neice who'll be stepping onto a college campus in the fall.  Now is the time to send them ahead knowledgeable on the blessings of liberty, how they were won, and what's necessary to restore & maintain them.
Essayons!

"Liberty — the freedom from unwarranted intrusion by government — is as easily lost through insistent nibbles by government officials who seek to do their jobs as by those whose sole purpose it is to oppress; the piranha can be as deadly as the shark." - Judge Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court

Bullet

Surveyor...thanks for introducing your family. Glad to have you all around. Sounds like a great work you and your wife are doing starting right there in your family.

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on January 03, 2013, 12:54:50 PM
Are links available for home school networks ?

We can try to round up something for you....what sort of info are you looking for? Local groups of homeschoolers to contact and let them know about Appleseed?

Johnnyappleseed

I was wondering if there is a national type venue where those in the HS movement discuss or promote homeschool idea,s .
Thank you
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Wy Knott

My name is Anna and I live in GA. I am in the 9th grade (home schooled all my life ). My dad was worried about the direction of this country and found out about AS. I find it very fun to shoot, camp, and meet other people so I like going to AS. I am afraid I have no lofty goals like the rest of you folks. ;) My whole family participates (6 of us) from calling the line to cooking BBQ for the instructor dinner. At least for me the reason I enjoy AS and that"s why I keep coming back.
"I have no respect for a man hoo can only spell a word one way"
-Andrew Jackson
I love you goose- you brought cookies and sharpies...what more could a person want?

Charles McKinley

Johnny,

Home School Legal Defense Assn.  Is about as close to a national forum as I know of.  It is more of a clearing house of issues and stories emailed out rather then a place to discuss things.

My involvement is much more local and at the state level.  If you think gun laws are weird going state to state make no sense look at the home school laws!  Things even vary from school district to district based on the "interpetation" of the law by the superentendant.

That is why the state conventions are such a big deal.  Funds are scarce this year for booths and they are more than I can shell out to get us a booth at CHAP Christian Homeschool Assn. of Pennslyvania.  I think it was $400 last year.  About 8000 attendees last year.  Given recent violent and political events I bet it is much larger this year.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

CiviSoldier

:pop:
Quote from: Bullet on December 29, 2012, 09:54:53 PM
CiviSoldier, what card game was it? I'm thinking I should get it for my little brothers...

It's Professor Noggins History of The United States Card Game #29
There are good questions in there in regards to the events and people surrounding the Revolutionary war.

We haven't played it yet, but since I brought it out, it's peaked interest!   :)
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

CiviSoldier

Quote from: Wy Knott on January 04, 2013, 08:27:34 PM
My name is Anna and I live in GA. I am in the 9th grade (home schooled all my life ). My dad was worried about the direction of this country and found out about AS. I find it very fun to shoot, camp, and meet other people so I like going to AS. I am afraid I have no lofty goals like the rest of you folks. ;) My whole family participates (6 of us) from calling the line to cooking BBQ for the instructor dinner. At least for me the reason I enjoy AS and that"s why I keep coming back.

Nice to meet you Anna!  Goals will come in time as you gain more experience and knowledge...
I hope that my girls when they get a little older will enjoy AS as much as you do!
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far

J Frame

I'm Deb, we are homeschooling one self motivated seven year old in Colorado.  I love the stories and the heritage at Appleseed.  I grew up hunting and shooting in the wilds of Appalachia but becoming a Rifleman has really rocked my world.    Appleseed Instructors are some of the best people I have ever met.
"We don't have to wake up the entire country - a noisy, determined, enlightened, moral minority will do nicely."  PHenry

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. " -- Samuel Adams

LindaFromAppleCreek

My husband and I have graduated two of our home schooled students, with 7 more to go. We'll be at this a while, since the youngest is 4.

Six of ours have been to Appleseeds, three of the girls have been to more than one. I finally earned my Rifleman patch at a Ladyseed, with two daughters in attendance. I got my orange hat this past year, and will keep bringing kids with me. The 9 year old wants to come badly, but because of her personality, it would be better to have one parent as a shooter who can watch over her, rather than having me working the line while she shoots. That means a family trip to Appleseed, I hope!  :---

I have met homeschooling families who have come to Appleseeds after seeing us at the homeschool convention. It seems to ease their minds when they found out several instructors were homeschooling parents or students.
aka Mustang380gal

Charles McKinley

From experience you do not want your kids there while you are trying to do progress checks Unless you have some one there to help them.  They just don't understand that you can't stop when you are calling the line or doing other responsibilities to help them out.

Nero

It's going to get a lot busier in here in a couple of days:  Home schooling & AS is going to be the focus for the January - February national newsletter!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Mamma Bear

I am currently homeschooling a 6 year old first grade and I have a 2 year old and 3 year old. Prior to my oldest I worked as an elementary teacher and have obtained a California Teaching Credential. My style of homeschooling is akin to the way the one room school houses of the 1800s and Early 1900s. We incorporate the curriculum and educational standards of the 1800s combined with modern day approaches and curriculum. As a home school family we use the Bill of Rights, Constitution, and the founding documents as a guideline for personal interests studies and social studies units. Marksmanship is a part of the regular curriculum as it helps my children learn about both 2nd amendment and why it was important in 1775 and is important in 2013, and will remain important until the end.
Mamma Bear

karenmunsell

Wow, this is great. You guys are really stepping it up! I wondered when we did an Appleseed shoot last May why more homeschoolers around our area hadn't heard of Appleseed, it is just the perfect hands-on educational type stuff we homeschoolers love. But a bit of warning, Appleseed will grow exponentially once homeschoolers latch on to it. It is a phenomenal program and we can't wait to shoot again. Would love to have my oldest son get his rifleman badge and become an instructor, he's just 12 now so in due time. We have homeschooled since the start with all 4 kiddoes, 2 girls 15 and 14 and 2 boys, 12 and 10. We are very blessed to have come across Appleseed and hope to be able to participate more this spring and maybe even start to volunteer. We have been spreading the word to everyone we know and many are interested. Will try to attach a couple of pics from our shoot last year later, though I didn't get many as I was shooting too. So much fun :~

Nero

You bring on the exponential growth, and we'll deal with it.  That's the kind of problem we like solving!   O0
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Hack Ptui

Long-time homeschooler checking in.  Our kids have never seen the inside of a public school, and our oldest is now starting her first year of college.  I attended an Appleseed event with my son in Davilla, TX in 2011, still practicing up to get my Rifleman patch, and I'm a little embarrassed by how long this has taken me.  I've challenged my sons to get their patches, as well.

It's good to see homeschooling getting linked into this program.  It's great!

mac66

I'm kinda the odd man out here. Not a homeschooler but I've become involved by being the history program coordinator for Michigan. Basically I'm the library seed guy. Because of the involvement of HSers in our Appleseed program, I have given presentations to a number of HS groups, attended HS conventions and picnics.  I see the benefit of AS and homeschooling being connected. We have the history and activities and HSers are particularly tuned to our message.  I would like the relationship to expand to the point where AS becomes a primary resource for HSers.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Bullet

Welcome to everyone!

mac66, thanks for all the work you're doing up there. Sounds like you are a great bridge for AS and HSers.

Rizzin

Graduated after 10 years of Homeschool in '92. Went on to Collage and got a degree. First AS in 2010 with Orange hat in 2011 and "Green" in 2012

bedford

We homeschool our 3 kids, ages 5, 7, and 9. The most important reason is that WE are in control of their curriculum,  peer group,  and what they are being exposed too. It also gives us a lot of flexibility and can tailor to each kid. It is a lot of work. My wife spends at least an hour preparing for each school day.

Mutti

We've HSd since 1995 - everyone has gone except for our eldest daughter in college - of course she's over by the KD in Atterbury so she has no excuse  ~~:)

First Appleseed in August of 2010 as a family. We find ourselves 2 years later  : 16 (IIT2), 12 (AC until she is 13), and 10 yo - all but the youngest have made Rifleman.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)