News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wounded warrior project rejects gun owners

Started by Johnnyappleseed, November 21, 2012, 01:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Nero

Good grief.

If you're looking for a veterans related cause for holiday giving, I can recommend Fisher House, which builds and operates housing for military families who are visiting loved ones at the VA hospitals.  We've contributed to them for several years.  They get most of their donations on target, and aren't 'spammy' - no being showered with fundraising letters, just a report or two a year on their activities.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Barbie

One group that I donate through that benefits our troops directly is Green Bean Coffee's program: Cup of Joe for a Joe

Here is a link to them:

https://www.greenbeanscoffee.com/coj/

Not only does your Joe/Jane get a coffee drink, they have the option to personally email you back a note of thanks, in reply to the note you send along to them when you place your order. 

It may be a small gift, but often times its those small gifts that mean the most.

Fisher House is a great cause to donate to also, Nero!
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

scuzzy

I still remember when AS put on a fund raising event for them early this year. I was tasked with creating a banner and some graphics for the event. I contacted them to ask if I could use some of their graphics which were well done. I did that so I wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Numerous calls to their headquarters were not productive and I was finally told 'No, you can't use any of our images.'

I was stunned to say the least. What got my goat was the fact that all of the people I talked to were VERY unfriendly. Not nice at all. You would think an organization like that would do better than that. Makes you wonder about them. I wonder how much of their money actually goes to provide for Warriors? Or are they just another Red Cross or United Way where almost all money goes to 'Administrative Overhead?'

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Fred

Jeez, guys - any problem with donating - right here! - to Appleseed? ::)

There's a logic in not spreading your donations around. Concentrate them in one area for maximum success. So it might be appropriate to focus your donations, as well as your energy, into rescuing "the sinking ship".

Plus, it simplifies your life considerably. I haven't donated to anything but AS since the project was created. Makes it easy to say "I already donate to a charity" to anyone soliciting for funds for the homeless, cancer, etc - and do it with a clear conscience. >:D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Fred on November 21, 2012, 02:44:49 PM

There's a logic in not spreading your donations around. Concentrate them in one area for maximum success. So it might be appropriate to focus your donations, as well as your energy, into rescuing "the sinking ship".

Plus, it simplifies your life considerably. I haven't donated to anything but AS since the project was created. Makes it easy to say "I already donate to a charity" to anyone soliciting for funds for the homeless, cancer, etc - and do it with a clear conscience. >:D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

oladcock

Yep, we'd heard that and was a supporter, reevaluating. Lots of groups out there doing good work and yes, with the high $$$ advertizing WW does, I question how other $$$ are being spent. Here is one: http://www.patriotsandheroesoutdoors.com/  Read their mission statement....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

scuzzy

Hmm. I've never had a membership. That will change after next month.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

George Hacker

Quote from: scuzzy on November 21, 2012, 03:43:55 PM

Hmm. I've never had a membership. That will change after next month.

I just renewed my RWVA membership.  Sent a copy of my membership card to the CMP so I can order ammo (or a Garand) without delay.

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

BeSwift

We did a WW shoot in MD a couple of years back. I was a bit disappointed with the experience, and came away with the following:  1) WW is a fundraising MACHINE and is geared primarily to that. 2) After MUCH red tape I did have lunch with the WW rep who  was a great guy; who basically notified local members of the event via email. That was about the extent of their support.

I understand what they are and think they have value, but have gotten a off focus to their mission. They're starting to morph into a self perpetuating brand..

Like any large organization, they aren't going to take sides on politically charged issues. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. I also think there a better veterans groups to donate to, who reach them on the grassroots level, and actually do a lot more good, albeit on a smaller scale.

Gotta echo Fred..Keep your donations with the program.. Do it big this year, before the new tax laws limit charitable giving further in 2013....  BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

COJeepGirl

Wow, what a drag, I totally just signed up with my company who offers to match your donation-guess I should have checked them out before donating-guess who is cancelling their pledge....THIS Gal. Yeah Fred you are right.................................

@@)
:slap:
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot"-Mark Twain

dragonfly

Donating to the RWVA is like a donation to all veteran's past and present. In fact its more like an investment, an investment in our future as a nation for all Americans, young and old.

D-fly Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

jmdavis

Look into M1's for vets. I have shot with these guys at Creedmoor, the Atlantic Fleet Matches, and Camp Perry. They are a great group that works to get wounded vets shooting in competition again. They operate on a shoe string and I know for a fact that they appreciate the help.  A donation to them will make you feel good inside.

http://www.m1forvets.com/About_Our_Project.html

You might note that their donation page first asks for time, then equipment and then finally money. They really are a worthy group.

Mike
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

RODGE

BeSwift, Shadowman and Fred have it right.  I will always keep up my RWVA membership as long as I can squeeze a trigger.  And being able to do business with CMP is a plus.  Go Liberty!
What we allow is what will continue!

What have you done for LIBERTY today?

dond

I informed a friend of mine, a veteran, about this situation. He investigated it and his reply to me follows. I think we can continue to give to WW now as a result of this.

Don -

I called Ms. Leslie A. Coleman.  She is the Public Relations Director of the Wounded Warriors Program (WWP).  She was new at her job when she sent those emails to Tom Gresham.  She admitted to me that she misunderstood the WWP policies and the ties to the gun supporting public.  She admitted that they have hunts and shoots for the Wounded Warriors and that they receive many, many donations from all members of various organizations that enjoy or deal with guns.  She admitted screwed up.

Her boss appeared on Gresham's show the next week after she and Gresham exchanged those emails posted on his website.  Apparently, her boss straightened everything out on the show but there has been no change of the posted emails on Gresham's website.  I read her the http link you sent me and told her she better get Gresham to take that down if that is not the policy of the WWP.  She knows the internet has a life of its own and that articles will live forever being played and replayed by various groups over and over again, not knowing what is correct and not.  She said she would get in touch with Tom and ask him to pull it off his website and that she would send him a retraction explaining that was not the policy of the WWP.

We will have to wait and see what happens.  If what she says is true, it seems to me that Tom Gresham should be just as quick to post the corrections from her boss as he was to post the original problem.  Tom should be commended for bringing this to the public's attention and getting to the truth about the Wounded Warrior Program.  Now, all he has to do is publish the truth and send it around the internet so our wounded kids won't loose all the support they so desperately need.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.  I will continue to monitor his and the WW websites.  If there is no posted retraction within the next week, I will again call Ms. Coleman and see what is happening from her side and if need be, call Tom Gresham about his.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Johnnyappleseed

I listened to the interview with ww CEO and Tom Gresham
www.guntalk.com and the interview did not go well for wounded warrior project .
Tom Gresham confronted the CEO and the CEO weaseled and sounded really bad .

Tom Gresham offered other groups who do the same thing w/o the anti gun baggage .

All are encouraged to listen for themselves to the interview and decide if the level of anti gun and anti knife agenda are big enough to discard this group .

For me the answer is yes .

Thanx Don for keeping the dialog between wounded warrior and the gun culture alive .

Just found it .
The  CEO s name is Steve Nardizzi and the interview with him took place Nov 18 2012  see part 1 of Toms program add your feelings if so inclined .

Calvin Coolidge