News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

This is for the water cooler

Started by Johnnyappleseed, November 29, 2012, 01:53:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

RS
FRONT PAGE CONTRIBUTOR
Gov. John Hickenlooper (D, CO) to set up task force to stymie pot legalization.
By: Moe Lane (Diary)  |  November 28th, 2012 at 02:00 PM  |  32

RESIZE: AAA
I'm translating.

Gov. John Hickenlooper will create a task force to deal with the fallout from the state's legalization of marijuana use, possession and sales.

'Fallout.' See, right there you can determine the tone that the Denver Post was encountering from the office of the Governor. Later on...

The task force is to include state officials, lawmakers, marijuana advocates and other "stakeholders" -- likely a reference to law-enforcement, drug-treatment and community representatives.

If you're familiar with bureaucracy's little ways, you're probably snickering at that right now. On the other hand, if you also favor legalizing pot then you're probably swearing, instead. On the gripping hand, if you're those two things and ALSO a partisan Republican hack* then you've gone right back to snickering.

The basic quandary here is that John Hickenlooper doesn't want to be The Guy Who Legalized Pot In America. The man undoubtedly has (probably foolish) hopes for higher office**, and pot legalization will pretty much kill that. The Democrats have a lot invested in one-upping the Republicans in the War On Some Drugs, mostly because it helps inoculate them from being considered liberal (i.e., 'soft') on crime. This goes all the way from the top, down: it's no secret that the Obama administration HATES the idea of legalizing pot. Or, more accurately, that it hates the idea of THEM legalizing pot, or any other Democratic administration actually doing that. The federal government is certainly showing no sign of relaxing its stance on the issue, at any rate.

So, what does an ambitious Democratic governor do when dealing with a situation where The People Have Spoken, The [Expletive Deleted]? That's right: he obfuscates. Setting up a 'task force' over pot legalization that's been stacked with groups that can be relied upon to bitterly resent pot legalization is an excellent first step to delaying any kind of implementation whatsoever. So is 'asking for guidance' from the Justice Department, which is code for Get this stupid amendment bogged down in court, already. And that's just the procedural issues. The hoops that Colorado (and probably Washington State) will make pot vendors jump through are likely to be epic. Warning labels? Yup! Big ones. Special malpractice insurance? Big time. A special 'pot tax' to pay for all the increased medical costs from smoking? Ohhhh, yeah. And this is probably going to end up being my favorite one, for given values of 'favorite:' "child-proofing." That phrase covers so, so, so many contingencies. I mean, you don't want kids to be at risk, now?

I note all of this not because I have any particular problem with adults smoking pot (I don't***), but I do have a bit of a problem with young voters mistaking liberalism for libertarianism - and rather more of one with young voters getting upset when they vote for Democrats, and then get the former instead of the latter. Please remember: while liberals may agree with libertarians on some goals, they do not - DO NOT - agree with libertarians on how to accomplish those goals. Liberals do not want less government in our lives. They like the idea of logrolling inconvenient expressions of the will of the People -well, inconvenient to them. And if they don't agree with libertarians on a goal, they will cheerfully steamroller the libertarians like they would any other interest group that isn't a fully-owned subsidiary of the Democratic party.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge