News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Portable shooting bench

Started by smoakingun, November 12, 2012, 03:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoakingun

Has anyone thought to use some kind of portable shooting bench on the line? We had a woman in a power chair this weekend who could not get up and down. Fortunately we were at a range that had fixed benches she could roll her chair up to, then a couple of sand bags and a rest to put the rifle on and she was set, but it made me wonder what I would do if I were on a line without a rest available?
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

Unbridled Liberty

First, don't assume that just because someone uses a chair, manual or power, means they need to use a rest.  If they have sufficient upper body ROM and strength, I suggest they rest both elbows for prone, one elbow for sitting, and no elbows for standing.  If they can rest elbows on their chair, great.

As far as a portable shooting bench, someone posted plans and a video elsewhere on the forum.  I suggested that they post it here but that idea was nixed.  I can't remember where it was posted.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

Also try back issues of American Rifleman, Popular Mechanics and Instructables.com or Google 'shooting bench plans' or equal, you'll get more info than you ever thought possible.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan