News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NM House Commitee could hear HB 402, New York style gun & mag ban: 21FEB2013

Started by Carlson, February 17, 2013, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlson

via BMC Tactical ·
HOUSE COMMITTEE COULD HEAR HB 402, NEW YORK-STYLE GUN & MAGAZINE BAN, THIS COMING THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 21!

If you care about your right to own firearms and ammunition in New Mexico you MUST plan to attend this hearing and contact lawmakers in opposition to this terrible bill.

HB 402 by state Representative Stephen Easley (D-Eldorado), bans the future possession, transfer and transport of so-called "assault weapons" or "large-capacity ammunition-feeding devices." All such property owned in New Mexico prior to July 1, 2013 would be grandfathered, but the burden of proving ownership prior to that date is placed on the owner. Proving the date of purchase can be almost impossible and serial numbers do not exist on many magazines.

Ownership of the affected firearms and magazines could not be transferred AT ALL. The only means of disposing of them would be through a gun "buyback" or turn-in program to law enforcement - no inheritance, no allowing a friend or relative to take custody of the prohibited property, no selling or transferring the property out-of-state or even to a federally-licensed dealer. Grandfathered owners of the firearms described below would be required to store them in a locked gun safe at all times except when the guns are being transported or used. Transport would only be lawful if the firearm is unloaded, any detachable magazine is removed and the gun is equipped with a triggerlock.

The definition of "assault weapon" in HB 402 is an unmitigated disaster. It doesn't list specifically-banned models and instead imposes a "one-feature test" for rifles, shotguns and pistols, as well as a catch-all for "a semi-automatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm." A banned feature for both semi-automatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and semi-automatic shotguns would be a "secondhand grip" OR a "protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand." Of course, ALL rifles and shotguns feature some sort of secondary gripping surface, as by definition they are designed or made to be fired from the shoulder and gripped with two hands. So HB 402 could essentially ban ALL semi-automatic rifles that can accept a detachable magazine and ALL semi-automatic shotguns, unless they fit into one of the very narrow exemptions in this bill.

HB 402 also bans ammunition feeding devices with a capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition or that contain more than seven rounds of ammunition. This is just one example of how poorly-drafted this bill is in a rush to follow New York's lead (where gun control advocates sought to reduce the existing ten round state limit.) Additionally, HB 402 includes prohibitions on items specifically excluded in even the most far-reaching bans we've seen to-date: full ten-round magazines routinely used for competition and feeding devices that are curios or relics!

This is one of the worst gun control bills filed in the entire country. You can read the proposed measure yourself at http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/_session.aspx?Chamber=H&LegType=B&LegNo=402&year=13

It is expected that the House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee will hold a public hearing on HB 402 on Thursday, February 21, at 1:30pm or upon adjournment of the House in Room 315 of the State Capitol. You will want to confirm that it's on the committee agenda come Tuesday or Wednesday by visiting http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/agecalendars.aspx. Make plans to attend this hearing and voice your opposition to HB 402. If the measure advances from this committee, it will move onto the House Judiciary Committee. Please also call and email committee members and urge them to oppose HB 402 (see listing below for committee member contact information.)

Recommendations for testimony/constituent contact:

• Keep your comments under one minute and try not to repeat previous points made.

• Be respectful and polite when communicating with lawmakers. Lists of committee members can be found here http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/committees_standing.aspx

• Speak to the bill and issue at hand, not a general constitutional argument. For talking points against so-called "assault weapons" bans and limits on magazines, visit http://www.gunbanfacts.com/

The Definition of High Capacity Magazines can be found on page six of the Bill. 

If I'm reading it correctly, this bill would define Semi-Auto Tube fed Rifles, like the Marlin model 60, as assault weapons.

LittleMo

To all in the great state of New Mexico...

I urge you, as Carlson suggests, to contact all representatives about this bill today!! If you can attend this hearing, please do so! It is scheduled for House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee on 2/21/2013 per the New Mexico Legislature web site. Become active and involved!

You don't want to end up with a law similar to the one we have here in New York State. Trust me!

Not only does this NM bill infringe on the 2nd Amendment right, but also the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 14th Amendment rights.

Thanks!

Gary

p.s. At least this bill does not require registration into an illegal database (see Firearms Owners' Protection Act and http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926), or background check for purchasing ammo like the New York State law among the other provisions.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Dude

Little Mo is right on the money!

You, our brother and sister patriots in New Mexico, are in a powder alarm, make no mistake about it. You must move early and decisively. Let your law makers know exactly how you feel.

The NY law is a disaster, and has emboldened the gun grabbers across the nation.

Now, we have a new enemy, the insurance lobby, with very deep pockets, pushing for a liability policy for all gun owners. They expect it to cost $1600 to $2000  A YEAR!

You must act  now!
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

TaosGlock

Thanks for the reminder that maintaining liberty is always unfinished business. O0
Our state takes more in feddie handouts than it produces.
And this is the tyranny we reap from the DC puppet masters that hold the NM strings.
So can we all act on this NOW.
Thanks!
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

oladcock

Yep, done did....But I'm through with PC polite. Part of my letter: "Put your efforts toward punishing criminals and leave law abiding citizen alone. No man on earth with a piece of paper can over ride my God given right to defend myself, family, and country with what ever, where ever, and when ever I deem necessary."

Call them out, nose to nose....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

Quote from: oladcock on February 20, 2013, 03:45:11 PM
Yep, done did....But I'm through with PC polite. Part of my letter: "Put your efforts toward punishing criminals and leave law abiding citizen alone. No man on earth with a piece of paper can over ride my God given right to defend myself, family, and country with what ever, where ever, and when ever I deem necessary."

Call them out, nose to nose....O.L.
Mine and BF's was very close to yours.
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

TaosGlock

Thanks NMMI9100 for this update. O0

Today, the New Mexico House Republican Caucus sent the attached letter to House
Consumer & Public Affairs Committee Chairman Eliseo Alcon and Democratic
committee members, outlining their firm opposition to House Bill 402 -- the
NRA-opposed New York-style ban on so-called "assault weapons" and high capacity
magazines which will be heard in that committee this Thursday, February 21, at
1:30pm (or upon adjournment of the House) in Room 315 of the State Capitol.

The following legislators make up the House Republican Caucus --
Please contact  them and thank them for urging their colleagues to reject these ineffective,
invasive restrictions on law-abiding citizens and focus, instead, on enforcing
existing state and federal firearms statutes against the criminals who violate
them. 
Contact information for House members can be found here:

http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legislatorsearch.aspx

Rep. Nate Gentry (HD 30-ABQ)

Rep. Jimmie Hall (HD 28-ABQ)

Rep. Jim Smith (HD 22-Sandia Park)

Rep. David Gallegos (HD 61-Eunice)

Rep. James R.J. Strickler (HD 2-Farmington)

Rep. Nora Espinoza (HD 59-Roswell)

Rep. Yvette Herrell (HD 51-Alamogordo)

Rep. Alonzo Baldonado (HD 8-Los Lunas)

Rep. Candy Spence Ezzell (HD 58-Roswell)

Rep. Bob Wooley (HD 66-Roswell)

Rep. Sharon Clahchischilliage (HD 4-Kirtland)

Rep. Terry McMillan (HD 37-Las Cruces)

Rep. Zach Cook (HD 56-Ruidoso)

Rep. Paul Bandy (HD 3-Aztec)

Rep. Kelly Fajardo (HD 7-Belen)

Rep. Monica Youngblood (HD 68-ABQ)

Rep. William Gray (HD 54-Artesia)

Rep. Don Tripp (HD 49-Socorro)

Rep. James White (HD 20-ABQ)

Rep. Anna Crook (HD 64-Clovis)

Rep. Larry Larranaga (HD 27-ABQ)

Rep. Jason Harper (HD 57-Rio Rancho)

Rep. Tom Taylor (HD 1-Farmington)

Rep. Paul Pacheco (HD 23-ABQ)

Rep. Tom Anderson (HD 29-ABQ)

Rep. Tim Lewis (HD 60-Rio Rancho)

Rep. Dennis Roch (HD 67-Texico)

Rep. Jane Powdrell-Culbert (HD 44-Corrales)

Rep. Don Bratton (HD 62-Hobbs)

Rep. Bill Rehm (HD 31-ABQ)

* Reps. Dianne Hamilton (HD 38-Silver City) & Cathrynn Brown (HD 55-Carlsbad)
were excused from the Legislature today when the letter was circulated for
signature, but both also oppose HB 402.

:~ :--- :~ :--- :~ :--- :~ :---

TaosGlock

Here are the cliff notes of the signed letter (see above post).

The bill was hurriedly drafted, poorly written and much like the failed AWB of 94.
They said it would not prevent/solve any crime in NM on any level.
It acknowledged that states with these type of laws see increased crime.
Finally the letter said it would punish law abiding New Mexicans.

Good job guys.
This was one powder alarm that we crushed at the bridge with our pens.

oladcock

I've received several feedbacks so far, all opposed and as fired up as we are! LOL I'm pretty certain the Governor would never let anything like this fly.........O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

Yup!
The Gov also got a letter from us just as a reminder to veto or oppose this tyranny.

Captwa

I plan to attend tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

This town should be as green as Ireland with all the manure they generate in the Roundhouse.

My ears are still bleeding from the HB77 go around.

Wa

Dude

keep at it, you 're doing great!

FYI, in the 2 weeks we've been pursuing this, 2/3 of the NY counties have passed or are considering passing resolutions against the NY SAFE Act. For this to happen in any part of government is pretty great. We also have started working on towns and cities; there are 7 or 8 towns so far and I just went to a town meeting last night, and was VERY well received by both the town board AND the citizens. They will in all likelihood , pass something at the next meeting. BTW, they all got a 20-second descripiton of A/S, and I was approached after the meeting by a number of people, including board members concerning the program. SO, leave no stone unturned, as they say; support will come.

S-O-M.

We CAN win this. We WILL win this.

There is no other option.
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

oladcock

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Captwa

OL

HB 402 tabled at this point. 2130 local time

Deciding vote by committee chair based on waiting for fed rule. May be brought up next session by state dems if no resolution on fed level.

Been there since 1330 my ears are still bleeding.....
    Wa

TaosGlock

TaosGlock

And here is the final message I received this AM from my "Committee of Correspondence" on HB 402:

Subject: NM HOUSE COMMITTEE TABLES HB 402

HOUSE CONSUMER & PUBLIC AFFAIRS COMMITTEE TABLES HB 402 ON TIGHT 3-2 VOTE!
Last night, the committee voted to table HB 402 by Rep. Stephen Easley (D-Eldorado), which banned the future possession, and restricted the transport and storage of, so-called "assault weapons" or "large-capacity ammunition-feeding devices."   Thanks to all the NRA members who showed up in opposition to the measure and waited for roughly six hours for it to be heard in committee.  Members of the committee who voted to table the measure are listed below, and we need to thank them for their support:
Chairman Eliseo Alcon
eliseo.alcon@nmlegis.gov<mailto:eliseo.alcon@nmlegis.gov>
(505) 986-4844
Rep. Tom Anderson
thomas.anderson@nmlegis.gov<mailto:thomas.anderson@nmlegis.gov>
(505) 986-4451
Rep. Jason Harper
JasonHarperNM@gmail.com<mailto:JasonHarperNM@gmail.com>
(505) 986-4254

Be sure to thank them! All to often we forget the praise part.
TG

oladcock

I'll pass on the attaboys on this one. "Tableing" is the same as backing up 10 and punting, it shows a lack of courage and comittment. It can now be un-tabled so we have to fight the battle again instead of shooting it down in flames. No attaboys for political gamesmanship. I'd have to know more of why they went that route vice an up or down vote.......O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Captwa

OL,

I'm not politically astute but the chairman's last comment was he liked the bill and they will re-introduce it depending on things at the federal level.  Yeah you are right it's not a dead issue with them. It seemed to me they arranged the leftover committee to have that result. I think most of the committee just wanted to go home. The reassurance of the bill's sponsor that " you can keep your guns" but... was not reassuring. His attending amendment did nothing to cancel the most onerous portions of the bill.  Mustard on a cow pie does not make it more palatable.

I can see this is like whack-a -mole chasing things as these bills pop up. Passing it off until the end of the night just thinned out the crowd but there were only 5 left still advocating the bill and maybe 60 against.  An interesting bunch of mainly determined old men ex-service or nuke engineers who do not trust the politicos.  Personally I think the R.I.C.O. statutes should apply to political parties. Note the plural.

On a good note several Sheriff departments were represented and decidedly against the bill even being instructed by the chair that "we make the laws, you enforce them until they are ajudicated otherwise!" which shows you how things are going. It will be an interesting future for sure.

It took two scrubbings with Bluefeather soap to make me feel clean again after this last visit.

Wa

Dude

Stay vigilant. No less than 6 times, scripture says "do not be deceived". 

Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

TaosGlock

Another one HB77. It was tabled last night after yet another sneaky attempt on restricting our rights!.
Thursday they will try again....
BACK ON COMMITTEE AGENDA FOR THURSDAY March 7 AFTER SENATE FLOOR SESSION
This link will mass email the folks who need to hear us.
http://netwmd.com/guns/

Details:
Last night, House Bill 77 - which would criminalize private firearms transfers at gun shows in New Mexico and require them to be conducted through federal firearm licensed dealers - was temporarily tabled on a 4-4 vote in the Senate Public Affairs Committee.  The measure will be placed back on the committee's Thursday, March 7, agenda, and may be voted on again at that point.

State Senator Daniel Ivey-Soto (D-ABQ) brought important amendments forward in committee that would have limited the fees dealers could charge for providing a National Instant Check System (NICS) background check at a gun show to $25, repealed the state background check requirements at gun shows in the event that Congress passes legislation regulating private transfers, prevented state or local agencies from developing a registry of lawful gun buyers under the new state background check requirements, and made necessary technical corrections to the reporting requirements to NICS for records relating to prohibited firearm purchasers.  The committee voted to accept the first two, but not the latter two amendments.

Sen. Ivey-Soto refused to support the bill at this time because some of his amendments offering important protections to lawful gun purchasers weren't adopted.  He was supported in his efforts to tack these amendments onto the bill and ultimately joined in his opposition to it by the three Republicans on the committee: Sen. Craig Brandt (R-Rio Rancho, Sen. Gay Kernan (R-Hobbs) and Sen. Ron Griggs (R-Alamogordo).

Please contact these four committee members and thank them for their support.  Their contact information is listed below.

If you were unable to make Tuesday's hearing because of the short notice provided, we could use a strong showing of opposition to this measure in committee on Thursday.  It is unlikely that the committee will take further testimony at that point.  But suffice it to say that because of the large  anti-gun contingent in the City of Santa Fe, the other side can turn out support for HB 77 at a moment's notice - and we need to counter that at every step of the process!  The committee will meet after the Senate floor session, which has recently been going until 3:00 or 4:00pm.  If you could plan to be at the capitol around that time, the committee will meet in Room 321 upon adjournment.  Hope to see you there!

Senator Daniel Ivey-Soto
(505) 986-4270
daniel.ivey-soto@nmlegis.gov

Senator Craig Brandt
(505) 986-4267
craig.brandt@nmlegis.gov

Senator Gay Kernan
(505) 986-4274
ggkern@valornet.com

Senator Ron Griggs
(505) 986-4276
ron.griggs@nmlegis.gov

*** Also, please continue to contact Senate Judiciary Committee members in anticipation of HB 77 possibly moving out of the Senate Public Affairs Committee on Thursday.  Their contact information can be found at the link below.  We have just 10 days left in session and legislation is moving fast, so your input in this chaotic process is critical NOW more than ever! ***

http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/committeedisplay.aspx?CommitteeCode=SJC

oladcock

Just so everyone knows, our legislative session ended Sat night with NO new gun laws passed. Not so with our northern neighbors. Don't let down our guard, the anti's WILL try again. And for those who wonder why us gun nuts oppose EVERYTHING, here is why...We don't enforce the laws we already have, how is more going to make things better?....O.L.

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/special-investigation-plea-deals-undermine-nevada-gun-laws/article_7f29b3f4-8cde-11e2-8b43-0019bb2963f4.html

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

Yup it will be back in 2014. Here is a synopsis of the whole mess:
House Bill 77 Dies on Senate Floor as New Mexico Legislature Adjourns its 2013 Session

House Bill 77, state Representative Miguel Garcia's (D- Bernalillo) legislation that would have criminalized non-dealer firearm transfers at gun shows in New Mexico and taken the first step towards a universal ban on private gun sales, failed to receive final action in the Roundhouse during the last moments of the sixty-day 2013 legislative session.

A total of six committee meetings and hearings were held on this bill over the last two months, during which testimony by both opponents and supporters of this measure was severely restricted.  Clearly, HB 77 backers were more interested in ramming a gun control bill through the state Legislature than allowing the public to exercise their First Amendment right to speak on the flaws of this proposed legislation.

Although it contained language that would have strengthened reporting requirements on individuals who are prohibited from purchasing firearms, HB 77 remained, first and foremost, a poorly-written gun control bill from beginning to end.  For instance, even after significant revisions and half a dozen hearings, events like the National Junior High School Rodeo Finals and classes at the NRA Whittington Center could have been considered "gun shows" under the definitions in this legislation. The loaning of rifles to students would be restricted!
Lacking a pro-Second Amendment majority on any Senate committee to defeat or significantly alter this bill's language, Democratic Senator George Munoz from Gallup and Senate Republicans were left no choice but to force lengthy debate on HB 77 and offer amendments to address issues such as the definition problems when it was taken up on the Senate floor at the 11th hour.  Lieutenant Governor John Sanchez (R) gaveled the session to a close at noon on Saturday, as time expired while HB 77 was being debated on the Senate floor.

HB 77-supporter Senate Majority Leader Michael Sanchez (D-Belen) sternly warned that this bill will be back again in the future, and he publicly challenged Governor Susana Martinez (R) to put it on the agenda for the 2014 legislative session.  The Governor has the power to "message" non-fiscal related items and make them eligible for consideration during the thirty-day budget session.  Please contact Governor Martinez and respectfully urge her to resist calls to message anything similar to HB 77 next year. 
Contact information for Governor Martinez can be found http://www.governor.state.nm.us/Contact_the_Governor.aspx

Also defeated this session were House Bill 402, a sweeping New York-style gun and magazine ban, and House Bill 578, banning the carrying of firearms in the state capitol.  Both were sponsored by state Representative Stephen Easley (D-Eldorado).  HB 402 was narrowly defeated in the House Consumer & Public Affairs Committee by a 3-2 vote.  The House Republican Caucus had sent a letter to this committee stating their uniform opposition to HB 402, as reported here by the NRA-ILA.  HB 578 never received a public hearing in the House Rules Committee.

Thanks to all NRA members and Appleseeders who attended committee hearings, sent e-mails and made phone calls in opposition to these measures.  Without your vigilance, gun control surely would have been passed and enacted in Santa Fe this session!