News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA, November 17-18, 2012

Started by Psych Doc, November 19, 2012, 05:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psych Doc

What a great weekend! We had an outstanding group of Americans participate in this weekend of marksmanship and heritage. Among them, we had a mix of experience levels and ages. We also had many first-time Appleseeders as well as several returning in the hunt for that Rifleman patch. 

This shoot almost did not happen for numerous reasons, fortunately a solution was found to each challenge that arose. Big thanks are in order to Ryan (Rocket Man) who stepped up to pinch hit when yours truly had a scheduling conflict for Saturday. We had to dig deep to find instructors to staff this event, but we were able to pull together a scratch force from all points of the compass. Thanks to all who answered the call to service this weekend. Also major thanks to Raahaugue's Range for scrambling to provide us a firing line when our usual bay was closed unexpectedly due to (non Appleseed) safety issues. And thanks to Bob (Bob 210), our state coordinator, for coming up with extra loaner rifles so that we had enough to get everyone on the line. My hat is off to all of you!

I'll let Ryan chime in with particulars on Saturday when he has a chance. My part of the story started on Sunday morning. The AM Redcoats showed that we had a number of skilled shooters who had obviously learned Saturday's lessons well. Christian and his mom, Karen, did their Ohio Valley ancestors proud with Christian clearing his Recoat and Karen nailing the headshot on hers. 

We moved steadily through the morning review and group sizes continued to shrink. Several shooters grappled with equipment challenges among them Ingrid and Mitch, both skilled shooters, who would have been in the hunt for patches if their shared rifle had cooperated better. Father and son team, Doug and Mike tried out a loaner rifle and both got immediate results (those stock sites are tough).

Our first AQT showed numerous scores in the Marksman and Sharpshooter ranges. After a few weeks of dry practice at home, returning Appleseeder, Ken, earned the first patch of the weekend, shooting a monster 228! 

Lunch brought the history of our country and the sacrifices and choices of the founders into focus with stories of the dangerous old men (some even older than Jacob!), daunting dames and courageous kids of the founding generation.

After lunch it was time for more AQT's as the afternoon progressed, scores continued to climb. Marine, Tony R., was the next to earn a patch with a solid 216.   

On the final AQT of the day, as the shadows grew long, Henry (shooting a loaner rifle) joined Tony and Ken in excellence with a 211. 

Three cheers for our newest riflemen, Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

The weary but willing shooters showed that they had learned their lessons well and put some serious hurt on their final redcoats. Ken added an exclamation point by clearing his. Way to go!

After patch ceremonies recognizing our new riflemen, we acknowledged Ken as he stepped up for the Orange Hat, as well as junior shooters Mike and Evan who earned the Luthar Blanchard Award by demonstrating their persistence and maturity. We ended the day with reminders about the price paid for our liberty and the need for our generation to preserve it for future Americans.

I know I missed a bunch of good stuff in this write up, so please post up additions or corrections. Thanks to all for coming out and sharing some heritage and marksmanship with us. I hope you all had as much fun as I did and I hope to see you all again soon!  O0

All the best,
Robert (Psych Doc)

Psych Doc

See the Pics Below :)

Rocket Man

Particulars?   ;D  Oh, I don't have any particulars, just my own thanks.  Such a nice group of folks, and everything ran like a well-oiled semiautomatic.   -:)  It was my pleasure to fill in on Saturday.

Doesn't surprise me at all that we had three new Riflemen in our midst.  Our targets were saying "ouch" right on cue.  I remember Mikey and Evan tearing them up especially.  And congratulations to Ken on the shiny new hat!  This is truly your ticket to a strange and wonderful personal journey.   ..:..

For those who didn't make it to 210 this time, there's still time to get that Rifleman patch before the holidays -- upcoming shoots on Dec 14-15 at Rahaague's and at Burro Canyon, and several others around the Southland.  You can try to ask Santa for a patch, but he doesn't have 'em.   ;)
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Psych Doc

Here are the Pics

Karen draws a bead during Stage One

"Is the line ready?" White Relay about to go into action on Stage One

Mike takes a shot, Henry rests during AQT Stage One

Pat helps Austin get his sling set up while White Relay is in prep

White Relay waits for their turn

Red Relay in prep

White Relay getting set

Christian and Bruce Stage Two

Red Relay Stage Two

Max, Henry and Doug firing Stage Two

Red Relay Stage Four

New Rifleman Ken is presented with his patch

You can't really say a Marine is a "new" Rifleman, so we will just say that Tony R. earned his patch

New Rifleman, Henry recieves his patch

Mike recieves the Luthar Blanchard Award

Evan is presented with the Luthar Blanchard Award

Ken takes up the Orange Hat

Elfstone

Registered just now and the forum thankfully looks familiar like Calguns.
I would love to make my first post the reply to this great shoot:

Two red hats in Ryan and Robert plus Pat, Jacob and Jeff (who drove up from the border just to pitch it and make Sun. possible then back  for a family event), plus the volunteers that helped Sat.   :bow:
I hope all the other participants got a better picture on just how much all of you RW veterans  'answered the call' to make it happen for us.   Made me appreciate the bigger picture of Appleseed and now would love to do my part as best I can.
I am especially grateful to Ryan, Jacob and Robert who were the bosses at last month's Burro shoot where I first participated by using Robert's loaner gun no less.  I REALLY wanted that picture to work with Robert and I yesterday.

The day was exceptionally safe even though it was a packed crowd with staggered lines. 
Jacob had a sharp eye on it all especially some wandering rifles in the back.   ;)
Jeff was at the left giving hands on fixes to gear, laying next to shooters to problem solve, and doling out advises in his calm but solid presence. 
Pat on the right was also working a lot on gear for the participants.  I believe her encouragements to Henry and Mike and his dad was a big part to the boost in their scores at the end.
Robert, kept the whole thing on track!  Not a small feat with the masses.  To do 3 AQTs with a staggered line took good management.

It seemed like there was a high percentage of gear problems still on Sun.  Rifles,slings, sights,un zero'ed, sling mounts...
But the participants sure were eager to learn and get better.  All I talked with at the end wanted to repeat at least to earn the patch and a few felt the flame to be more active about America.  I also got the general feedback that the first timers now know what to bring and what not to bring to be prepared at next Appleseed; especially the shooting education and history wake up was taken back with them with our free sight picture 'props'.  Quite a few said they won't feel so weird dry firing at home now.

Ryan, 'ticket to a strange and wonderful personal journey',  Amen.  I didn't imagine how impacted I would be when I first thought of going to an Appleseed.  Onwards I hope.  Thanks to all.

Tony if you read this:  I'm keeping you accountable partner.  Dry practice and we will get you over the hump!

Johnnyappleseed

Welcome aboard Elfstone !
I enjoyed reading your first post.

Great job instructors , the founders were looking down with approval ^5
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Psych Doc

:) Lost and Found  :)

A couple of items were left on the range at this shoot. First, a pair of dark-colored, high-top shoes were left on Saturday. I also found a hammer left on the range on Sunday. If you are missing either of these items, let me know and we will get them back to you.

UpChuck

I wish Grant and I could have made it on Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing you soon at a future shoot, and congratulations to the new Riflemen.  To those who didn't make the rifleman score this weekend... Persevere!  Most things worth having don't come easily.
Chuck

jshoebot

As always, it was a great shoot in Corona.  I'm glad so many people showed up, and I'm glad we could help everyone become better shooters!  I'm always proud to help a great group of shooters like you all were.

Looks like more people made Rifleman after I left early on Sunday!  Congratulations to all, and I hope to see you again!

Ken, congratulations on taking the orange hat!  Great to have you join us.  It'll change your life man, welcome!! I'm sure I'll see you at a shoot in San Diego before too long... You guys up north can never stay away from us  ;)

-Jeff
Liberty or death.

"If you want government to intervene domestically, you're a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you're a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you're a moderate. If you don't want government to intervene anywhere, you're an extremist."