News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Remembering a USMC Medal of Honor Recipient on Veteran's Day.

Started by Botbasher, November 12, 2012, 03:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Botbasher

I couldn't find a General Category, so I'm putting it here. I apologize in advance if there is a more appropriate location to post it.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/11/09/us/vietnam-veteran-cemetery/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

I saw this come through the ticker on CNN this AM. Although sad that it was allowed to get to this condition, it's great to see both Veterans and Civilians come together and work to return this historical cemetery, especially the grave of USMC Sgt. Rodney M. Davis, to a place of respect and reverence that it so deserves.

An un-repayable debt of thanks is due to our Veterans and this should never have happened, but I am heartened to see it being given a setting that will leave no doubt for future generations the respect due this incredible man and those that have served our country over the centuries.

I was out yesterday and saw a VV (wearing a hat) in a local eatery sitting alone. I introduced myself, shook his hand and thanked him for his service and sacrifice to this country, myself and my son who was standing beside me. The smile he wore for the remainder of his meal reminded me that we as a country, more often than not, let the past slip from our memory and it needs to stop. We need to keep those men and women that have made such incredible sacrifices in our thoughts more than just one day a year. My service with RWVA and the Appleseed program is helping me to break my old habits and learn new ones!!

I hope you find someway today (but why should it only be one day of the year??) to at least shake the hand of a Veteran and thank them for their service and sacrifice or maybe just visit a local cemetery this week (or anytime) and tend to a single headstone for one minute. That single selfless act done hundreds of times a year could have prevented this from happening.

I hope you have a peaceful Veterans Day. Thank you all for your service and sacrifice.

Ken & Jordan Stevens

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

CiviSoldier

Thank you for this post, and thank you for your act of recognizing a Vet.
I too strive to thank Vets as I come across them.  A marine sitting in his pickup truck at the hardware store, with a USMC front plate and hat.  An army vet sitting alone at church.
The more you step up and say thank you and shake their hands, the easier it becomes, and the more you feel better inside knowing what that gives them in return; knowing that there are others out there that appreciate what they have given for our country.

Vicky
"We keep our faith
When there is no way out
When there is little hope
We show no doubt
We go the distance
No matter how far
Remember Who We Are" - Krista Branch