News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SE Michigan..come to Gibsonburg OH Appleseed August 23 &24

Started by posterboy, July 14, 2008, 12:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

Just a reminder to all of Michiganders in SE part of the state that the Appleseed in Gibsonburg NW Ohio is  an easy drive. This is a great locale for the shoot and has the capacity to handle as many as can come . So see all of you on August 23 & 24th. Shoot.... the way you drive in michigan you could be there in flash  :D just try not speed too fast in ohio ..the OHP likes michigan meat !

posterboy

Puff-TMD

Planning on it!  Hoping to drag at least one friend.  Originally from PA, now in MI.  What is up with those OHP?  Thicker than flies I tell ya.   Nothing else going on in Ohio I guess.  Maybe we can get them all out to Appleseed.  Wouldn't that be something??
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

Buckshot

PosterBoy,

Any word on camping yet for Gibsonburg?  Last I checked on the schedule both camping and motels still had TBA in them.

Buckshot

posterboy

I'm thinking at this point that the range doesn't want camping....too many "issues" with insurance plus they had a bad experiance with another group  we were last told . I will check one last time however...

I am working on the hotel list as we type so that will be up soon.

This is the inaugural appleseed here ...I don't want to rock the boat. This will make a great appleseed site for the future. I am sure once this one is over we will have cemented the program's sterling reputation in who attends as well as what is taught.

posterboy

Buckshot

Quote from: posterboy on July 17, 2008, 08:04:21 PM
I'm thinking at this point that the range doesn't want camping....too many "issues" with insurance plus they had a bad experiance with another group  we were last told . I will check one last time however...

I am working on the hotel list as we type so that will be up soon.

This is the inaugural appleseed here ...I don't want to rock the boat. This will make a great appleseed site for the future. I am sure once this one is over we will have cemented the program's sterling reputation in who attends as well as what is taught.

posterboy

Posterboy,

No, you DON'T want to rock the boat.

Are there any campgrounds nearby?  The ones I know about are just too far away to work well.

Unless you find one HECK of a motel deal, and I don't really expect it dead summer, two nights paying for camping would still be cheaper than one night in a hotel/motel.

This is the limiting factor for me, otherwise I will make it a one day run, arrive early Saturday morning and head home at the end of the  Saturday shoot.

Buckshot

slim

Hey guys, been checking on all this myself.

There is some tent camping in the area, I googled "camping Fremont Ohio" and came up with a few spots, this one looked pretty good and pretty close - www.woodedacrescampground.com the tent sites with hookups were $27/night and without were $15 (two adults.)

I also checked on some hotels and you're correct, most are pretty pricey. I found a couple in Bowling Green that weren't too bad but they're still more than double the price of camping. I need to call a few more places and I'll post back here to list prices. (No websites for a few smaller hotels.)

Just a few weeks left.......

posterboy

Buckshot and all.....

you can camp in Bowling Green...well portage...a stones throw from BG at the Portage Quarry. This is a nice place and cheap! Plus it is like 2 minutes from Rt 6 which you take to get too the range. Plus you can go for dip after a long day at Appleseed..who needs a shower ! it is like 10 bucks a day per person

www.portagequarry.com/popups/camping.htm

oops.....no firearms..sorry ....was at the bottom.. if you cleaned them at the range and left them in the trunk..nobody would know ?

posterboy

posterboy

Ok...here are 2 sites right  IN  Gibsonburg !

this one is just down the road from the range

www.eaglelakecamping.com/camping.asp

another quarry

www.whitestarquarry.com/Fees.htm

Buckshot

Posterboy,

Looking good, especially those right in Gibsonburg.

Are you close enough to see if they would have room for half a dozen or more people that weekend over and above the normal crowd?

That is something best done in person.

Might also want to get a count out of this thread.

Too bad there is not a state park closer, they often have primative group camping CHEAP.  At one time it was liek $2.00 a night when in a group of 10 or more (no facilities but ground to stake a tent out on, maybe a picnic table and, usually a fire ring.

Buckshot

Buckshot

Posterboy,

Oops!

Eagle Lake says NO TENT CAMPING.

White Star Quarry says primitive (no hookup) $15.00 per night.  Youth groups (with two weeks notice) get primitive camping free.

Don't suppose we could bill this as a "youth group shoot" could we?

:D :D :D

Buckshot

posterboy

Okay
I talked to the ranger at White Star Park and got the camping info everybody needs. I informed the parks of our appleseed in Gibsonburg.

here's the link with the info

www.scpd-parks.org/whitestar.htm

payment is based on the honor system there and is $15 a night primitive/ $25 for a hook up and is first come first serve so ther are no reservations....there shouldn't be a no vacancy issue however.

Now firearms are PROHIBITED .....BUT....I told them nature of the program and it is ok to take your rifles in with you. keep them in your cars however and be descret about it and there won't be any problems. Campers perhaps you should clean your rifles at the range at the end of the day. I'm sorry about this but this is the ONLY primitive site that is close by and I know we are all good citizens

slim

Just another option guys -

I found a hotel that's only $45/night in Bowling Green, right off of I-75, and about 20 miles away from Gibsonburg. I know it's a little more expensive than camping, but not so much that I wouldn't consider it. $20 for air conditioning, a shower, and some free HBO isn't too bad! If you want to check it out, it's the "Best Motel" and the address is - 13527 South Dixie Highway, Bowling Green, Ohio 43402. Website - http://www.bgbestmotel.com

They don't have an online reservation system so you'll have to call. (During the day.... I think they're sleeping at night!) I'm still looking around but I think this place is going to be hard to beat.

See you guys on the range......