News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2012 TSRA Service Rifle Championship - Camp Swift Texas

Started by spitstickler, October 25, 2012, 11:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

Four of the DFW Appleseed crew spent the weekend down at Camp Swift last weekend. This was the annual service rifle championship for the state. We shot the team match together on Friday, Saturday was the Individual match, and Sunday was the CMP EIC match.

We saw several other folks sporting Appleseed T-shirts. One fellow I talked to said he'd come all the way from Wyoming for the match.

Lauren LeCren (doubleLL) not only earned a Governor's 20 tab for her performance on Saturday, (awarded to the top 20 shooters in Texas) she also won 1st leg in the CMP EIC match on Sunday. At the awards ceremony they said that this was the 3rd largest match in the country behind Camp Perry and another venue. There were ~100 participants and they gave out eight legs. It was really good to see an Appleseed Rifleman up there receiving awards. I wish I had pictures.

Great job, Lauren!
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

starfox

Here's the only shot I got of the winners of the non-distinguished being announced.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

doubleLL

I would like say THANKS to Fred and the others who designed this program.  ^:)^
    A few years ago I was walking up to the Davilla firing line as a new shooter. I had no previous exposure to fire arms and had never shot before. Kirk and his daughters were on the same line that weekend. I am proud to be an example of how well this program works! I overcame my fear of firearms and fell in love with shooting.
When things get rough at a competition, I tell myself to persist, adapt and overcome. I remind myself of the various people we tell in the history and ask myself would they give up? How would they overcome that 7? I decided that Paul S. (Ashrn03) was correct, when you look at your target you should ask yourself two things. 1.) Where is my group? and 2.) How big is my group?  Once I started looking at my groups and not the numbers, I started realizing where in the 6 steps I needed to improve.
  I also realized at 600 you have to commit to that shot! Don't dilly dally, don't think, look at the flag and shoot.
  My first time at Camp Swift was about a year and half ago. Chris B. another instructor encouraged me to come out and shoot. I remember wearing a shooting jacket that was 2 sizes to big, and no gear except my mat and mags. I had called ahead and talked to the director to get some information about the match and what I needed. When I showed up on Saturday morning my target was number 20 (front and center). I knew they put me on target 20 for a reason!!! The director came over and gave me his scope to use and his cart to rest my rifle on. He informed me that my sling had to be on the rifle for standing and helped me with my oversize jacket. I shot my first 20 rounds in standing offhand. I was disappointed with my score. The director came over with a huge smile and said "WOW you did great, we weren't expecting you to hit paper." I replied with well I was expecting to hit more 10 and X's!!!!

I love and support this program for this very reason. Where else can a new shooter who has never shot before, attend a weekend, make rifleman, and then two years later win a CMP leg match. I will be at Perry this next year and I hope to see more Appleseed shirts on the line!

Thanks!
doubleLL
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

CaptG

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

hawkhavn

Lauren,

That story is a win in so many ways!

Congrats,
HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

wcmartin1

"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837