News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reflections on the last week

Started by Allen, November 12, 2012, 03:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allen

Greetings:

Like the rest of the 49% of the population, this last week,they may take time to reflect on the state of our nation and the road that is ahead of us. It saddened me to see, that no one had truly addressed the issue of our uncontrollable debt and the consequences on our children and grandchildren. The "me first attitude" was clearly demonstrated to me through our electoral process. My vote was counted and I did my duty as a citizen of this country to execute that right. We have spoken as a people to the path that we're going down, for good or bad. For some time I have felt that character and integrity are no longer words that are spoken with meaning and and valor. People claim too, but do they really live these words out in their day-to-day lives?

At this low point, I had signed up to participate in a local Appleseed project. My wife and I have participated in the  Appleseed Project, on a couple occasions before and have had a great  learning experience  My wife and myself have  become big fans of this organization, and the values, ideas, and principles that it stands for in these uncertain times.

After arriving at the event, we observed an elderly man and his grandson knew he had purchased at 10/22 Ruger for him to use at the event. Both showed great enthusiasm, and it was later discovered they had driven up long distance to participate in this function.

As with most new shooters, the young man struggled to get his zero, and all the things that go with the training at Appleseed project.
Without hesitation the Oklahoma instructors went  above and beyond the call to help this young man and his grandfather's experience the program, its benefits and what it means to our future as a free people. Instructors worked with this young man in the rain, and wind, and cold to see that he got the most out of his experience. The joy that this experience brought this young man and his grandfather could not be paid in monetary value.

When things looked bleak this past week, it ended on a positive note, just knowing that the Appleseed instructors from Oklahoma that assisted this young man, showed to me a ray of sunshine in our future. All the instructors are true patriots;donating their time, money, weekends to continue the heritage that was passed down by our forefathers. Trying to make sure that our next generation will not forget these values, ideas and the character and integrity of our forefathers will not be forgotten.

Thank you, and God bless you for your service.

Allen

Transform

Allen, I assume your "49% of the population" is meant as a partisan reference, which is probably not correct for many reasons. Our past and present problems have all been voted into existence by both Demopublicans and Republicrats; neither partisan "side" gets a free pass on taking full responsibility for the current condition of our sinking ship. Appleseed is intentionally a non-partisan organization, because our nation needs every hand on deck to help bail!

Also remember that historically, only a small percentage of the American colonists actually helped in the fight for Liberty. This was well stated by III blogger Mike Vanderboegh:
During the American Revolution, the active forces in the field against the King's tyranny never amounted to more than 3% of the colonists. They were in turn actively supported by perhaps 10% of the population. In addition to these revolutionaries were perhaps another 20% who favored their cause but did little or nothing to support it. Another one-third of the population sided with the King (by the end of the war there were actually more Americans fighting FOR the King than there were in the field against him) and the final third took no side, blew with the wind and took what came.

The truth is that character and integrity have always been in short supply. I survive being surrounded by all of the "me first attitude" by reminding myself that "there but for grace go I", and by trying to see the good in even the lowest of the low (which is often difficult). So come back for another Appleseed, and another, until you shoot a Rifleman's score. Then claim your orange hat and come work with us to set a better example for the next generation, so that more Americans can learn to "live those words out in our day-to-day lives"!

Allen

Transform,

I want to first extend my deepest apologies, as I was not trying to make a political statement, by any means. My post on this forum was that of personal reflection from my experience and I desire to share my appreciation the the shooting instructors at the Oklahoma event, for which I participated, and what I learned from observing this Grandfather and grandson.

Having the opportunity as an American citizen to vote in several elections, and a student of history, I understand the short comings as well as the greatness of this nation which we live.  I further understand the intent of Appleseed and it's non-partisan stance. This being said, I am thankful for the foundation that Appleseed places into the hearts of each individual who takes the opportunity to attend the Appleseed weekend, male, female, adult, and children. It is wonderful to hear of the great character that our founders had, they remained not silent but had the courage and heart to stand about the values of liberty, life and the pursuit of happiness.

It is the above mentioned that sparked within me, the value, and the love this Grandfather expressed, by tangibly bringing his grandson to this event. Watching this young man, listen intently to the lessons, the three strikes of what led this country to become one of the greatest nations to be established.

I might add, I purposely did not espouse that I did have success upon my AQT...when all is said and done, I know what I accomplished with receiving my Rifleman patch, but it pales in comparison to what was sparked in this young mans heart, by his Grandfather taking the time, energy, effort and finances, to see that his grandson attend Appleseed. Not only did I see the great character in this grandfather, but that of each of the instructors. Character is not in as short of supply, when one has eyes to see, what I saw this weekend, Rifleman patch and all.

Best Regards,
Allen

Transform

Quote from: Allen on November 12, 2012, 09:21:40 PM
I want to first extend my deepest apologies, as I was not trying to make a political statement, by any means.

Nothing to apologize for Allen, you offered a great, inspiring post, and I simply commented on some minor aspects that resonated with my own thoughts and reflections. (I apologize if you thought that I was criticizing your post.)

I might add, I purposely did not espouse that I did have success upon my AQT

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!
Welcome aboard, come grab a bucket!

Cyblade

Very thoughtful words Allen, and good job on your rifleman... O0

One cannot be a role model, if one is not a model to role. (Me-2012)