News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

deer

Started by holyhandgrenade, October 24, 2012, 02:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyhandgrenade

Went hunting with my dad.  2 shots = two deer.  Here's mine.      :P

Ratchett

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Congratulations!!!!!
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

George Hacker

Excellent shot! O0

I also love the Monty Python reference in your forum name.  I'm sure killer bunnies tremble in fear when you walk by. :)

ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Johnnyappleseed

Beautiful animal  O0
Care to share caliber? bullet weight and distance ? ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

K98Al

Mighty Fine Job!!!!
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

SteelThunder

One...Two...Five (three, sir!)...Three!

Nice animal but I don't think you're going to get it to work many 'seeds in the state it is in.
NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

oladcock

Good job! Where's our backstraps! :).....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Prone to Knit

That's our girl! She's even outshot army designated marksmen and a sniper!

Don't mess with Hannah...
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Galt

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 24, 2012, 11:23:39 AM
Beautiful animal  O0

We were using a .243 with 85gr barnes TSX.  I'm a fan of the solid copper bullets for hunting.

Cool thing about this years hunt for us was that it was so easy to see how the skills we learn and teach in Appleseeds are directly related to real world shooting.  Her deer was in a group of three that had previously winded us.  We had kind of backed off and were heading up to where we thought they had gone when we spotted them about 80 yards away.  They were a bit nerved up and didn't look like they would give her much time, so she just dropped down into a sitting position with a ching type of sling and took the shot pretty quickly.  I have to think that drilling though those rapid fire stages on the AQT is helpful for that.

Mine was a similar type of shot.  Hannah spotted it about 100 yards to our left.  It was walking so my initial thought was to take a standing shot, but it went behind some brush.  So I took that time to drop into a sitting position with the sling.  It immediately went into an opening and I blasted it. 

Lastly, my advise on hunting with your kids is to just take one rifle.  There's less for everyone to lug around.  We've done this the last few years and it's worked out great each time.  Also, my favorite little handgrenade forgot her backpack this year, so she wound up carrying one of my gamebags full of meat over her shoulder.  hehehe  I love being the badguy!    ~~:)

TomM1Thumb

Shoot Like a Girl, If You Can, takes on a new Meaning, When it Puts Meat on the Table!

You Go Girl!!!!!!

Nice looking deer! Enjoy!
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Galt on October 25, 2012, 12:07:31 AM
Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on October 24, 2012, 11:23:39 AM
Beautiful animal  O0

We were using a .243 with 85gr barnes TSX.  I'm a fan of the solid copper bullets for hunting.

Cool thing about this years hunt for us was that it was so easy to see how the skills we learn and teach in Appleseeds are directly related to real world shooting.  Her deer was in a group of three that had previously winded us.  We had kind of backed off and were heading up to where we thought they had gone when we spotted them about 80 yards away.  They were a bit nerved up and didn't look like they would give her much time, so she just dropped down into a sitting position with a ching type of sling and took the shot pretty quickly.  I have to think that drilling though those rapid fire stages on the AQT is helpful for that.

Mine was a similar type of shot.  Hannah spotted it about 100 yards to our left.  It was walking so my initial thought was to take a standing shot, but it went behind some brush.  So I took that time to drop into a sitting position with the sling.  It immediately went into an opening and I blasted it. 

Lastly, my advise on hunting with your kids is to just take one rifle.  There's less for everyone to lug around.  We've done this the last few years and it's worked out great each time.  Also, my favorite little handgrenade forgot her backpack this year, so she wound up carrying one of my gamebags full of meat over her shoulder.  hehehe  I love being the badguy!    ~~:)

thanx for sharing the story Galt  O0
Excelent shooting and praise for AS that will help our recruiting efforts with hunters  O0

BTW I love your forum name , "Who is John Galt " ;)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Colorado Pete

And this is not her first deer!

She is now promoted to "Deerslayer 1st Class".

And she's no slouch with a 9mm pistol either.
"Good shooting is good execution of the fundamentals. Great shooting is great execution of the fundamentals. X's are what you want. Tens are okay, but nines indicate you've got a problem" - Jim Starr
"The purpose of shooting is hitting" - Jeff Cooper

newone

Great to see, Noah my son got his first Deer (Doe) this year also - 3rd rifle, first day of the season around 11:00 in GMU 18 IIRC.  I think ours was somewhere around 155lbs - ended up with about 68lbs of meat all said and done.

By the way, I use my RVWA hat for hunting season also !  Nice IIT's get hunters orange !

What GMU were you in?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
BisonTactical

newone

@Galt

I agree - we had just the 1 rifle and since it was Noah's license he got to carry it.  Notice the USGI sling :-).

We had been sitting high up a hillside resting and waiting for some deer to cross a clearing directly below us (we were upwind).  We finally got impatient, and started working our way down staying on the treeline when we spooked 2 doe.  They crossed the open area and Noah took off after them.  Once they hit the trees on the other side of the open area, they both stopped and turned to look at Noah.  He dropped into a modified sitting position (forgot to sling up) and took the shot.  He aimed for the heart, and hit the spine.  However, it dropped the deer in its tracks.  I know he was very excited to be taking the shot, so I chalk it up to nerves.  Hopefully next time he will take a bit more time to make sure of his shot placement and use the sling so thoughtfully attached to the rifle.

We were using a .308 Ruger Mark II also shooting TSX's by Hornady I think 168 gr, but don't know off the top of my head.  Also, I am estimating his shot at about 100 yards
Si vis pacem, para bellum
BisonTactical

Prone to Knit

Congrats, Noah! All those Appleseeds and those rifleman skills paid off.  Yum!
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org