News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Finally! Finding the bubble

Started by Ringer68, October 22, 2012, 05:57:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringer68

Hey all, I'm fairly new to Appleseed. I just attended my third shoot this weekend and qualified with a 236.

Those who know me from the other shoots will testify it has been a real struggle for me to qualify as I have been plagued by mechanical and technical difficulties every step of the way through my first two shoots. I had a scope dislodge an optic, I had issues with my gun not seating well in the stock, loose scope mounts, bad magazines, issues with my front swivel (I'm a female shooter with a shorter reach), enough troubles to discourage a lot of new shooters.

BUT, I had a feeling that my third shoot would be the day I broke through all that. I had to drive about 3 hours to attend the shoot in Rising Fawn, GA (what a GORGEOUS drive in the fall!). I felt I had addressed all the mechanical issues, I had revamped my gun to fit me better, bought new magazines, a new scope, all set to go.

My first Red Coat target... I shot the first target, dead center, did my mag change and shot the fourth round, and my brand new magazine blew the tension spring. My heart just sank. I thought for sure this was a sign from above that I needed to find a different past time. In addition, I found myself struggling again to lean into my sling. With all my adjustments, which seemed to fit at home, the swivel base was just too far to be of use, and I had to muscle the gun. Not looking good so far.

But the shoot crew was there and ready, and we Jerry-rigged a swivel base with zip ties, and I had brought extra mags JUST IN CASE... so I trudged through the morning trying to readjust and relax. I was putting so much stress on myself to qualify I wasn't concentrating on all of the things I was supposed to be.

About mid afternoon, I shot an excellent round one, and thought to myself "ok, settle down and just do one target at a time." Our shoot boss also made a comment to me that really helped. He said, don't shoot for 10, shoot for 7. For some reason that took a ton of stress off of me, and I nailed the rest of the targets. That was my 218 qualifier.

From that point on, it was a matter of besting myself. I shot five qualifying AQT's with 236 being my best score. It was very obvious that stress had kept me from being able to relax enough to get into the "bubble." But once you find it, it feels so great!

Thanks everyone at Waco, Summerville, and Rising Fawn for helping me overcome a TON of obstacles, and helping me learn to "shoot like a girl!"

Scarecrow

Congrats Ringer!
You have learned the Rifleman secret.
The RIFLEMAN Persists.
Well done.
We have an orange hat waiting with your name on it.

Ringer68

Thanks Scarecrow! I hope to pick up my orange hat in 3 weeks at my fourth shoot. Bringing my dad with me for his first shoot. :)

Adena

Congrats Ringer!  ^:)^

Like Scarecrow said you learned the secret, Persistence!

"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

douglas34474

We had a lady here in Florida that keep shooting 200s but not the magic 210. She had been to three AS and kept asking what she was doing wrong. All of us told her that we had given her everything we had and she just had to find her 'bubble.'

In spite of being frustrated nearly to tears, she persisted. On the last AQT on Sunday, she shot Rifleman. You could not wipe the grin off her face if you tried.

When asked what she did different, her reply was that she forgot everything else but her rifle and that target and everything we had taught her just 'came together.' She found her 'bubble.'

Congratulations to you for your persistence and finding your 'bubble.'

BTW, there's nothing wrong with 'shooting like a girl.' Some of the better shots I know are ladies.  ;)

dreamerofdreams

Congratulations!!  Now get one of the new hats that says "Shoot like a girl"  I only wish they came in purple instead of pink!

My husband says he needs to get one because if he shoots like me he'll be doing much better!
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

Ringer68

LOL I found out that "Shoot Like A Girl" is an AS phrase when I cleaned my first redcoat target of the morning at my second AS shoot. I was the only one to do so, so the shoot crew started calling me "Ringer" and told me I shoot like a girl. I thought that was so funny.

It is true though, guys have a lot of advantages in a lot of different areas, but girls do seem to have a pretty good knack for shooting if they aren't to timid to give it a try. I love that AS promotes that!

Yeah I'd love a SLAG hat too in Olive Drab or Zombie Green. :)