News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Look'n for a place to shoot near St. Charles

Started by Daffy, October 21, 2012, 12:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffy

Hi all
I attended the AS shoot in Rosebud with my wife in July (or was it Aug) of 2011.  It seemed like the hottest weekend on record!
Learned a lot.
:sos: Problem:  the local range is only bench rest and standing.  Sure would like to practice prone, kneeling/sitting. 
If anyone has land near by, or knows someone who does, that I could shoot on, I sure would appreciate  it.  I find that if I have to drive an hour or more, I just don't shoot nearly as much as I"d like too.  And I'm really tired of shooting off a bench.

I've been a responsible shooter for 37 years and have had shooting safety hammered in me.   I'm and ex-cubscout and boyscout and have respect for private property and follow the "leave only foot prints" motto.  I'd be taking my empty brass home with me.  I wouldn't be bringing any friends, just myself and my wife. 

I'd like to shoot high-power (5.56-7.62) but would be more than happy if I can only practice with .22 rimfire.  Range not important, 25 yards if thats all there is. 

thanks
Daffy

209Ken

Daffy,

I was in the same boat as you about one year ago. I live in St. Charles County, and after a couple of Appleseed shoots, was looking for a place to perfect my craft. The local Mo Dep't of Conservation range quickly lost its appeal due to the lack of shooing positions allowed. I eventually joined Benchrest Rifle Club in Wright City, MO and have never looked back. It is a beautiful facility, has ranges out to 600 yards, and I could not be happier with my decision. Look them up at www.shootingstl.com and if it is something you might be interested in, PM me and I can give you more details.

209ken
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

Daffy

Nice looking range, but steep price. 
If I was planning to put permanent roots here I'd bite.   The sign up fee is whats definitely killing it for me and the annual fee is double what I thought it would be.  I wish PASA Park was closer, 25 per year, no initial fee.  I used to go there when I lived in that area. 

But thanks for the lead. 

velobard

The range at Logan can be a headache at times due to idiots that show up, but it's better than Busch and there's no one there to stop you from shooting prone.

Daffy

Thanks Velobard

I just looked to see where the logan range is and its not all that much more of a drive than busch. 
I know what you mean by the idiots.  I used to shoot at the un-managed range down towards Cape.  Its amazing how many people have zero sense of safety with firearms.  Another reason I don't like shooting at public ranges. 

cthulhufan

I think Logan has been closed down due to the idiots taking TVs and other garbage out there to shoot and then not cleaning up.  I don't know that to be fact but that's what we heard while at the other range out that way, Ranacker.  Ranacker seems to be a lot less populated and has a proper 100 yard lane where the longest at Logan is 67 yards according to our range finder.  I have never been bothered at any MoDoC unmanned range for shooting prone and I don't recall reading it was against the rules but I'll re-read them next time I am out there.

Ranacker is located N/W of Bowling Green on Hwy 61, I want to say about 15 miles.  You also have an option in Warrenton at the Reifsnider conservation area shooting range.

--James

Transform

2011 was a while ago Daffy, sure hope you can come out for another Appleseed in 2013!

Quote from: Daffy on October 21, 2012, 12:23:45 PM
Problem:  the local range is only bench rest and standing.  Sure would like to practice prone, kneeling/sitting. 
If anyone has land near by, or knows someone who does, that I could shoot on, I sure would appreciate  it.  I find that if I have to drive an hour or more, I just don't shoot nearly as much as I"d like too.  And I'm really tired of shooting off a bench.

I had a similar problem, so I spoke to those in charge at my local range and got things changed. Now I can shoot in any position, as long as I notify the RSO and the shooters around me, and keep my muzzle right at the firing line regardless of the position I'm using. Most ranges are likely to be reasonable about it, once you explain the situation to them, they just need to know that no one is going to shoot from in front of or from behind the firing line.

If their stated concern is an inability to see a prone shooter, that can easily be solved with a pair of kids' orange bicycle flags set up on either side of your prone position between the benches, or a similar signaling device.

My suggestion would be:
1. Practice stating your request in the mirror or with a friend, so you can make your point smoothly.
2. Speak with the Chief RSO first. Let them know what you need, and what steps you'll take to ensure safety.
3. If that doesn't resolve things, make a request to the Board for a rule change to accomodate your needs.
4. If they say no with a reason, then you might need to find another range. But if they just say no without good reason, then gather some friends and all run for the Board at the next election. Improve your local range!

This might sound like a hassle, but it's simply part of getting off the couch and bailing. My reasoning is that supporting ranges offers benefits beyond the ability to go shoot there. Without members, local ranges tend to disappear. Although some new ranges open, there has been a net loss of ranges across the country in recent years. IMHO, this trend can best be reversed by engaging locally, rather than retreating elsewhere.

Anyway, that's how I'd handle the situation, YMMV.