News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

How do we...

Started by LadyVetch, October 15, 2012, 09:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyVetch

I had a gentleman that walks using leg braces and walking sticks( don't know what they are called) come up to me and lament that he really wants to attend appleseed but has limitations.  I told him we have adaptive appleseed and would look into how we could help.

His main problem will be getting up and down.  He says he can shoot prone, but will have problems with standing and most likely seated.

He would like to stay in prone.  Is there a way that he can remain on the line so he wouldn't have to get back up?

I thought him shooting only prone would not be a problem.

He was so excited that he would be able to shoot again.   I'd like to figure out how to best help him within Appleseed.

LadyVetch
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

R1SGx2

Welcome him to the line, and this Genleman Shoots in prone, easy  fix.

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Edheler

Quote from: R1SGx2 on October 15, 2012, 10:04:23 AM
Welcome him to the line, and this Genleman Shoots in prone, easy  fix.

I think she meant that getting up and down to walk back and forth to the line between strings of fire might be too much.

Mark Davis

The saftey issue of him on the line while everyone else is down range would have to be resolved.
Possibly by having the instructor who  watches the line stand right by the shooter, who keeps his hands off the rifle.

didactic

Sounds to me like that'll work.  One instructor has to stay back at the line, anyway.  Good binos or a spotting scope will allow the shooter and instructor to let the target talk to them, without going downrange.  And I'm sure an adjacent shooter will be glad to mark and/or replace targets as required.

That's why they call it "reasonable accomodation," and reasonable people of good will can almost always find a way to achieve it.

Myself, I'd have trouble staying down in a more-or-less prone position for most of a day, but that's for the shooter himself to decide.  He can get up and down, and go downrange, as much as HE feels able to, and as much as he desires.

How does he get around when NOT at an Appleseed?  Does he use a wheelchair, manual or powered?  Is the terrain at this venue compatible with that for an occasional trip downrange?  Might somebody have a golf cart available, if the ground is too rough or soft for a wheelchair or scooter chair?
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Pitmaster

If he stays on the line, loading magazines may be an issue. After clearing the rifle it could be placed out of arms reach. This would be just an added precaution.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

didactic

Sure.  That shooter's rifle should get a slightly extra-thorough "clear" check, but we're carefully clearing all rifles every time, anyway, aren't we?

And as long as he keeps his mitts well away from the rifle, preparing magazines for the next stage should be no problem.  And if he has a tube-feeder, his mobility problems do not make him any different from other shooters with the same kinds of rifles. 

No handling of rifles until the prep period starts!  Same for everybody.

desertrat144

I think your potential shooter is using Canadian Crutches (most common name for the type FDR used).  Making and keeping the rifle safe is easy, and SOP anyway.  The real issue for him is going to be loosing the instructions tips and discussion down range.  A good spotting scope, with those down ranges being aware of where they are standing, and a FRS or similar radio would address the 2d most issue.  As didactic notes, the issue of being prone all day is up to the shooter, can he shoot from a table or chair?  Using leg braces and 'sticks' to walk is physically wearing, as is being in one position for multiple hours on end.  Between him and the Instructor pool, the items may be already there.
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

techres

Do the instruction back at the shooting line.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

LadyVetch

Thanks for the information.  I figured that the common sense approach would work still at Appleseed  ;D  You all just put a smile on my face just thinking how happy this gentleman will be...  He was SOOO excited to hear we had an adaptive appleseed department.   

He says it just his knees that are bad and that getting up & down would be a problem (really just SLOOOOOWWWWW) and any match he goes to makes him clear the line everytime and he just can't move that fast so he has not been able to shoot with other people for a long time. 

I think with SB assistance we could make an Appleseed work for him.  I did suggest a chair but he really wants to shoot prone and perhaps sitting if he can manage it.

We could just make sure instruction happened by him at the line and 'assign' an IT to ensure safety compliance.  I don't believe we would have an issue with him at all.

Thanks for the information.  I wasn't sure if what I was thinking would be allowed.  I will get back in touch with him and let him know how we could help him shoot again.  He's active in our Gun Club - participating in meetings etc. but I didn't realize he couldn't shoot with other people anymore because of rules and time restraints.   How cool that Appleseed finds ways to make it happen and still trusts the American Citizen (trust but verify). 

And thanks for the term for his crutches.

LV 
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams

desertrat144

LV
QuoteI wasn't sure if what I was thinking would be allowed.  I will get back in touch with him and let him know how we could help him shoot again.  He's active in our Gun Club - participating in meetings etc. but I didn't realize he couldn't shoot with other people anymore because of rules and time restraints.

One of the great secrets of A.AS is the flexibility of the program once the participant has been vetted- after that, if the SB doesn't see any safety issues, Old School common sense is your guide.  Our goal is to get folks back on the line with the 'able bodied' shooters.  Have your guy check out the 'standing', 'sitting' & 'kneeling' positions that NRA posts on their site, it may help with his endurance and ability to tolerate a day or 20 back on the line.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

didactic

And don't forget, advance coordination between the shooter and the SB is key to everyone having a positive experience!  Very few things can't be worked out, if there is advance communication.

Things go bad when people (shooters AND the instructors) have "surprises" sprung on them, forcing them to change their plans and expectations on short notice.