News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur "SEVEN OH EIGHT!" boot camp

Started by Junior Birdman, July 09, 2008, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Birdman

Ramseur "Seven Oh Eight" is now history. Those who were there remember how great the experience was and those who missed out have another chance in August! 

The week started out a day early, (on Saturday), as the Appleseed to follow was a 3 day weekend. I arrived Thursday afternoon along with DW, and we set about making our "homes" for the week. ACPjunkie and family were there shortly afterward and help set up the exquisite shower facilities for the camp, which we then promptly tried out. I am happy to report that the showers were in grand form and enjoyed by all. 

This did however spawn other problems which I think fall under what I call the "Texas Syndrome".  That is what happens when we spoil the campers with basic niceties such as running water, a shower, and wonderful "mobile" toilet facilities and they take things even further. (The syndrome first manifested itself at the "Davilla Day Spa and Shooting Club" in Texas)  On my way to the shower one evening I did double take when I thought I saw an air conditioner sticking out of the front of a tent.  I was not mistaken.  What will we have at the August Boot Camp? Personal massage therapy?  Come to think of it......that DOES sound inviting. Maybe with some finger food and diet Snapple.......But, I digress.

Friday morning brought bright skies after a soaking rain the previous night and more folks began to arrive as the day wore on.  By evening we had enough enthusiastic shooters that we couldn't hold them back any longer! We HAD to shoot something! So we assembled at range 2 and whacked a few 4 minute squares. Attendees warmed up and proved equipment while the intrepid Red Hats got in some much needed trigger time. The Birdman showed he could still shoot pretty fair in spite of the lack of practice and inability to see the front sight most of the time. (When you don the Red Hat you learn to shoot at every opportunity, as they don't come along very often) 

The Instructors were coming in, and Alonso1 showed us how to live in Boot Camp for the first day or two when the airlines lose your luggage. I really hated to wear clean clothes and eat real food in front of him, but hey, that's what he gets, right? And making a loin cloth and eating insects should be a part of the training anyway.  M1A4ME, Alonso1, Dragon Wood, and myself went over the plan of attack for Day One of the RBC and by Friday night the stalwart instructors had settled in and had visions of 4 minute groups dancing in their heads.

Saturday morning brought 17 shooters to the line, and after introductions we launched into the safety rules, line commands, and dipped them in the pool of Rifleman History, laying the groundwork for lessons in said history every day for the week. This would be the last day they would get to relax and enjoy the story, for after this, THEY had tell it!

Much instruction given and the first round went down range about noonish, aimed squarely at the invading red horde, as the shooters demonstrated their capabilities by shooting what they brought, as it was, with no sighters.   Many a Redcoat walked off the field of battle annoyed, yet unscathed.  A few were actually hit solidly and still fewer officers took one for the team.  There was work aplenty to be done, so we rolled up our sleeves and pitched in.

Shooters were drilled in the proper positions, sling use, 6 steps of firing the shot, and reminded incessantly to stop dragging wood!  Scores improved gradually as they were driven all day, every day to excel. 

Each day more Riflemen were forged. Pounded between the anvil of the AQT and the constant hammering from the instructors, some gained in leaps, others by steady, measured progress.  "Team Costa Rica" shone as the week wore on, ready to export marksmanship and shooting heritage to another country! (Who wants to sign up for THAT Appleseed? ME! ME! ME!)  Shooter "M" from Team Costa Rica led the way early on, earning the coveted green patch. Shooter "J" improved every day, steady and sure, until at last shattering that barrier and getting his patch, and with a bolt gun! By weeks end, most all of the shooters on the team were bona fide Riflemen, and those who were not were so close it was scary.  And did I mention that 3 of the 5 team members were 17 or under?

Team Hawkins was impressive too, with "Lawman" leading the way, early on with a Rifleman score. Dad followed shortly thereafter, must have something to do with air conditioned tent......  After that, "L" shot Rifleman or better, pretty much at will, ending the camp with more solid Rifleman scores than anyone else. Oh, and did I mention he's not old enough to drive? So he can whack pop ups at 400 yards with that K98 Mauser, he just has to wait a couple of years to drive the range truck down to check targets........

Team SoM was displaying great resolve and coming along nicely. The younger two of the team were nailing those nasty 4 minute squares and earning a berth at the line for later when we had some fun over on the pop up range.

Both Sheepdog and "Bee" were coming along very nicely, in their shooting and in the history. Both endured equipment problems and in persevering gained a green patch to show for it.  And the Midwest is the better for it.

MikeP kept at it daily. He endured car trouble during his long drive in. I didn't learn until later in the week that he was pretty new to riflery. His shooting didn't show it, and he was wielding the M1A. Mike did his homework before he came. And he hammered himself, far more than the Red Hats did, gaining ground every day. I PROUDLY note that he posted a 202 and a 207, not to point out any failing on his part, but to note his VICTORY over adversity. He accepted nothing less than the best and came to understand more than many long time shooters that "Rifleman" is a journey, and not a destination. He knows that 210 is a number on a piece of paper, but that Rifleman is a verb. And Mike is a man of action. I expect to hear great things from him soon. First, that he has earned that patch, and second that he is executing the 7th step to the hilt as State Coordinator.  South Carolina, take note.

Team "Herky Bird" excelled at once, all 3 attaining Rifleman status in the first couple of days. Nice job guys! Virginia is now their base of operations as they hit "the trail" to make more Riflemen and sow the seeds of marksmanship, heritage, and the American way!

"Team" Sanderman79 kept at it too, and excelled while keeping his eye on those Orange Hats. He just needs to get rid of that tag on the front of his car before he hits the trail instructing. Just wouldn't do to ride around in that vehicle with an orange hat on with that tag.

The week went on with alternating days of sun and thunderous monsoon rains, dry or humid, and nights of heat or sometimes downright chilly temperatures. But through it all there was nary a complaint. Just shooters stepping up to the plate and telling the story of 19 April, 1775. Stepping up to the plate and helping out where needed. Stepping up to the plate and putting on the Orange Hats of the IITs. Stepping up to the plate and taking what they learned back home and spreading the word to others that THEY should be stepping up to the plate.  That's what Appleseed is all about, and the shooters at RBC Ramseur 7-08 had the Appleseed spirit in spades.

After the Known Distance course and a Full Distance AQT we could relax and shoot a few pop ups. The issue was pressed and yours truly undertook to display his prowess at pop ups by being the first to shoot. Considering it an honor, I retrieved my shooting iron, "Arene", and headed for the range.  Oh the pitfalls of vanity. Oh the subdued laughter that must have been on that line!  As I readied to show them feats of shooting skill to thrill the heart and soul, Wildman raised the targets. And then, there it was. Out on the 200 yard line.....there stood......HENRY!!!!!   As we say back in the hood...It's ON now!  After regaining my composure I settled in and took aim at the faux primate, meaning to lead off the festivities with his timely demise. 8 rounds later not only were all the pop ups down, but so was that monkey. And sleep was sweet that night.

There were many displays of shooting skills that afternoon, as we witnessed shooters putting into practice all they had learned so far.  Matt and James of Team SoM were executing their own version of "Smack Down" with an SKS and Mini 14. Yeah, that's right. Those "inaccurate" rifles were whacking pop ups out to 400 yards in the hands of two boys who have a few years to go before they start to shave. How can this be?" You ask. Ask them. I bet they'd tell you they just listened and did what M1A4ME told them to do down there on Range 2. And I think they'd tell you that what works at 25 yards works at 400. Appleseed. Simple. Precise. Beautiful.

After the serious work on Thursday, we had a fun team shoot. We divided up into 3 teams of 3 shooters each who were tasked with knocking out 3 clay pigeons out at 100 yards before they could shoot a 1 ΒΌ inch disk at 25 yards to win. Instructors were included and enthusiastically took to the mats.  The 25 yard discs turned out to be duds, but Team 2 won. Unequivocally. No two ways about it. They just shot faster and better than the other two teams. Thanks Alex and Christa! We did it!  And don't let those other 2 teams tell you any different either. They're just sore losers.......

A week after we had begun we sat around on the firing line and took our final exam. The shooters had seen it all. Weather, malfunctions, difficult subjects they had never seen before, shooting at ranges they had only dreamed of. And yet they took on all these and persisted and triumphed in the end.

They took home much more than they thought they could. They traded ammunition for knowledge and skill and came out FAR ahead in the bargain. If you haven't been there, you can't know the true value of  time and ammunition well spent.

The shooters sailed through the final exam with ease, except for maybe the twisted, sick and wrong "Junior Birdman Come ups/ trajectory problem", but that one always get's 'em!

We assigned the duties for the next day, and the shooters traded their bare heads and tight bellies for Orange hats and butterflies as they readied themselves for the baptism by fire that is the IITs first Appleseed.  Ah, but that too would pass.

Ramseur "Seven Oh Eight!" was a great experience for me. I hope the rest of the instructors and shooters think the same. I left tired and yet satisfied in that way only Red Hats can know.  NYC was a rude awakening for me. I'm back in the "other" world now. Sitting behind a keyboard. Thinking about schedules and job related things and dealing with people who just aren't like us. (No, I don't mean Yankees. I mean they aren't RIFLEMEN!  :D)

And my mind wanders to August. To the next time I step onto that "field of dreams". When I will stand among men and women who know very well what they are about. When I am, again, among Riflemen.  JB
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." John Adams

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them. Fredrick Douglass

voortrekker

Thanks for this terrific news JB!

What a very entertaining read!

The incessant,....Ping!.... Ping!... Ping!... Ping!

That's really not the round hitting steel in Ramseur.

It's the hammer forging new rifleman on the anvil of the AQT.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Son of Martha

Outstanding experience.  Great folks and great instruction.  Being able to come to a Boot Camp is worth every penny, every round, every ounce of energy it takes.

A special thank you to M1A4ME and Alonso1 for the time and effort spent working with my sons.  Their performance on the KD range exceeded my expectations significantly, and that alone made the trip worthwhile.

I think it is great to have one Ramseur BC during summer vacation, there are probably other dads who need to bring the young'uns out...

If you missed this one, don't miss August!

SoM
Raise ye the stone or cleave the wood to make a path more fair or flat
Lo, it is black already with blood some Son of Martha spilled for that
Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, nor as a witness to any creed
But simple service, simply given, to his own kind in their common need.

BeeFree

Thanks again, Birdman, DragonWood, and Alonso1... you will be pleased to know that MR BeeFree now wants to come to an AS...because I outscored him at the CMP clinic today (of course, if he goes, that won't happen anymore, but at least it happened once!)... the CMP guy was quite pleased with my previous instruction - which will help immensely getting an AS to our home range, since he is one of the two rifle guys on the board of directors that we have to convince to do this.  Isn't it great to see how far your reach really is?

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

crashkid2k

JB,

I don't think we'll need massage therapy at August BC; Ornell won't be there to impose his rigorous PT program (unless he can manage a guest appearance?).

The air-conditioned tent sounds pretty intriguing.

Congratulations on another successful BC!

crash