News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gardenerville Nv. Sept 22-23 2012 AAR

Started by asminuteman, October 02, 2012, 06:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asminuteman

Place holder,
Very sorry Ladies and Gentlemen,
upon arriving back home, I have found a virus ridden Computer. :sos:
Daughters....you know I love them &)

my system has been in the shop for the last week, I'm at the EDD office sneaking out a note to you.

Should you like to add your two cents about the shoot this is your chance to start.
I shall have a complete story soon......*shrugs shoulders* techical difficulties a present

post pics if you have any....
be back soon
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

LayloPro

I'll try & help out here a tad.....this was an "interesting AS" for a number of reasons..... :wb:

The first was that Friday morning, a fire broke out in the hills opposite the range road....the highway was shut down far enough that technically, we were all "trapped" at my "Casa de Crazies" just a few miles north....the 4 of us snuck thru a back way to get dinner, then at 2330, made our way down towards the range to see if the NHP would be allowing us thru the next morning.... @&)

They were going to start shuttling vehicles thru, but it would "take a while".... :slap: :wb: @&)

So, we were up & at 'em extra early Sat AM, in an attempt to get everything loaded we might need (of course, you -always- forget -something-!!)  ..:..

We finally arrived at the range about 7am, and began the rush to get the range setup, and ready for the folks who wanted to brave the fire which was -still- 0% contained about 1.5 miles away.....

While we had pre-regs of 26, but 16 hardy souls showed up....the primary ones who did not were the families, and I can't say as I blame them particularly. Keeping your little ones safe is job #1, & taking them into a fire zone is not a real prudent thing to do....I only hope they come back for the next one.

We did have one young lady, named Julia, who was with her Grand dad, and his sister. This was her first time out shooting, and to say she was a bit nervous may have been a mild understatement. More on her in a bit...... :cool2:

With Biscuit calling the line, and Ken doing his usual SB job with aplomb, we began the AS show.....safety rules, safe the rifle, here's the redcoat, shoot your best...... :~ :--- :~

Now, we had a returning Rifleman (daughter) on the line who was shooting with her Mom; who had been "practicing" for the last few months rather vigorously....to say they "cleaned" their Redcoat would be another "understatement"....once again, the ladies showing the guys how to "git it dun"...... :cool2: >:D O0 **)

The guys.....were excellent candidates for improvement..... :~ ;D

And so the course of instruction began....little Lego blocks of instruction, building a foundation......the shooters began absorbing as best as they could, as we sifted thru all the regular issues that come up with the various rifles that show up for these events.

Steve (Twizard), and Grand-dad Mark were there providing logistics &  support....Steve working his gunsmithy out of his rented van, and Mark bringing out his rather modified 10-22 when it was ascertained that Julia's Cricket was really not up to the task before it....When Steve was not busy fixing someones rifle, he worked as an RSO, voluntarily.....Thank God for good favors, we needed every body we could get.... :bow: O0 :bow:

By lunch time we were seeing a lot of improvement, as folks began putting the blocks together.....but now it was time for History, and Strikes.....I opened with the 1st, and ASM did the 2nd & 3rd, with a brief closing. Back to the transitions, and then an AQT (or two).....

We had been anticipating that Steve's wife (Eagle) would in fact, turn in a Rifleman's score easily on her AQT's....what wasn't planned for was the reticule on her scope beginning to come apart....but, a Rifleman persists, and that is exactly what she did....her first AQT had a "tough score" of 222....well enough done.

Since Steve had been working so long with her to get her to this point, I gave him the patches to award to his sweetheart, for all her work.....needless to say, a truly touching moment..... :pop: O0 ;)

We had only her daughter with more followup RM scores, but the rest of the shooters had all shown improvement....Ron, our local gun shop manager, had started with about a 111 on his first AQT, but quickly brought the next one up to a 183...... amazing how that support arm's location matters so much.....(MO' Cowbell!!!!) -:) O0 **)

John, another returning RM from previous shoots, had brought not only his wife to shoot, but what I thought he said was "his girlfriend"....turns out my hearing is junk, and the other gal was his wife's friend, but ya gotta love a guy who can bring a wife & girlfriend out to a shoot together..... **) **) ^:)^ **)  With real bullets!! ;D ;D

They did pretty good for new shooters, but John told me later that they had -really- enjoyed the history, and had been talking about it all the way home.... :)

Mike & Melanie also fought thru some physical difficulties.....there was certainly improvement, and they are both really solid folks...."Persist" is their middle name...... O0 :)

Ed came in from Cabelas, and had an absolute blast....so much so that he showed up Sunday with -two- pink boxes from Reno.... (note: Gardnerville has -zero- donut shops.....) :shootself: :wb:

A couple of the guys who were there Saturday only were pretty quiet....they paid attention, & kept gradually getting better....it was fun having them there. :) Could be one works for a gun magazine?? We could find out..... ::) O0 @)

Sunday, the fire was down a bit, and moving away, so we did not have to constantly watch the near skyline for any "closer outbursts"....IIRC, we had 12 returning shooters, and they all looked.......determined....... :cool2: ;)

A quick review & chorus, and we were back in the saddle with the redcoats.....Hmmm, improvement from yesterday....they must be rested.....Now it's time to show 'em what "whooped creme" is all about....... ;D ^:)^ **)

While we had no more Riflemen scores from any of the other shooters; and we did break up the grind with some "team star shootouts".....we had a surprise in the making..... ;)

Quietly.....over in the corner, Julia (the 12 y.o. girl), was figuring out how to put all the pieces together on this "shooting thing"....watching her in the afternoon run thru safeing the rifle, was like watching a small female Jerry Miculek.....she was done & prepping her next mags while some of our more "tactical guys" were still getting their mags out....and her groups were just that.....groups.....and getting smaller......hmmmmmm....interesting....... O0 :~ ;) :cool2:

At the end of the day, when we fought our final redcoats, there was a total of 2 cleaned redcoats....Julia's, and one of the guys.....and she had groups in hers.......this was her first time shooting......I may become a training coach, and work with kids like her strictly......amazing....simply amazing...... :bow: :bow: :bow:

All in all, another great weekend AS'ing....whenever I wonder why I have done so many of them, I do another one....and remember again..... O0 @) :))

Soooo, how was your weekend?
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Nero

We had a good shoot down in Sac, but I was wondering about yours when I saw the fire story on my Reno/Carson news feed.

You guys have the 'adventures' up there:  Snow on Memorial Day, and now raging brush fires.  Way to persist - both the staff and shooters!

(No donuts in Gardnerville?  None?   :'(  I may have to reconsider the idea of retiring up there.  Or maybe it's a business opportunity.  ;D )

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

bob 210

Hey Laylo, it may finally be time for a new Red Hat. I have never seen a red hat taken over by salt to the point that it is turning white! ^:)^ When you take it off, does the crust actually break off in chuncks? **)

I'll send you a new one in the next shoot box! @)
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Camljr

Bob,

Laylo EARNED that hat!!!   O0

He don't want no new red hat...

It looks like a very similar shade as mine...  ~~:)

Do you know how many Appleseeds he had to do to get it that faded???

Oh Yeah,,,, you do......  ~~:)
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Yodar

(from Yodar AKA Twizard) One of the things that keep me coming back, is the constant of new challenges at every shoot. Never a dull moment, what with ASM, LayloPro, Biscuit and Mother Nature providing interesting additions to history and marksmanship. Next time, I fully expect to have to hold a bug-group during an earthquake.  ~~:)

LayloPro

Ahhh, lessee....
IIRC, I got that hat somewhere around October, '08.....
down @ Line #1 @ Corona.......
yeah, it's seen a few miles & shows..... :)) **) ..:.. -:)

Reminds me of the old karate story regarding the color of the belts....
they start off, really nice & clean & shiny white......
and as the student progress, and wears them, and works & sweats & bleeds in them, they change colors......
they go yellow, to green, to red, to brown, to black.....

And for most, that is the goal they were working for....to become an instructor.....

Capable of teaching others what they have learned from their teachers....
And possibly added on their own.....

But as they continue to wear their belt while teaching, it wears even more, finally exposing a new color.....

White.

As the older cotton from the top wears off, to expose the new layer below it.....

So the teacher is still a student, learning from his students....

Such is that life.....if we accept it...... ;)

Sweat carries salt.....salt is white (ish).....my hat may end up being white.....that's ok here..... @) :) O0

(The boonie, on the other hand, really needs to be washed occasionally....) **) ^:)^ **)

BTW, do you have stats on how many shoots I have done.....??
In all the excitement of the last few years, I kinda lost count....... #) ^-^ **)
I know it's been a few...... @@) :)) ..:.. ^-^

This was a fun, nerve racking, unusual, and exciting shoot to participate in ....... which is the primary reason we stop what we're doing, and come out to "play"..... ;)

LLP

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

Nero

Quote from: LayloPro on October 06, 2012, 02:10:51 AM
BTW, do you have stats on how many shoots I have done.....??
In all the excitement of the last few years, I kinda lost count....... #) ^-^ **)
I know it's been a few...... @@) :)) ..:.. ^-^

According to the records, 43 shoots since Jan 2009, when IS started keeping score, up through August, plus add one for the shoot on this AAR.  Before that, hope you kept notes, because they didn't.

Yr friendly neighborhood stats weenie
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

LayloPro

Well, thank you, you local neighborhood stat weenie, you!!  **) **) **) :))

I got my 1st orange (went thru several of those, as we were constantly short on them in the "old days) on 7/5/08....but those don't count...so it's the "red" one that matters...and that was Oct, '08....probably did at least 3 more shoots in between then & Jan, '09, so yeah....just shy of 50 then.....

Which is -still- kind of sucky, since I recall Dinky Dao & Guy were doing like 25-28 shoots/BC's a yr during that time period too.....and they both had jobs!!! :bow: O0 :bow:

Cool enough, and not bad for a "mostly 2 yr off" for family stuff..... :)

Thanks!!! O0

LLP