News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Mesa, Arizona Self Reliance Expo October 26-27, 2012

Started by Prone to Knit, October 02, 2012, 04:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Time to start rounding up Arizona troops for the next Self Reliance Expo and your help is needed!

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/

It will be at the Mesa Convention Center at 263 North Center Street, Mesa, AZ 85201 October 26-27.

http://www.mesaconventioncenter.com/

Hours are 11 AM to 7 PM Friday and 9 AM to 7 PM on Saturday. We move in the afternoon before the Expo starts, which would be Thursday, the 25th. We have pellet line walls to assemble and any help would be appreciated. Total booth set up takes a few hours.

I'm guessing the attendance will be 5-6,000. That's typical for this Expo in a new area.

We'll have an indoor pellet line with 5 pellet rifles. That will take the equivalent of up to 5 full-time people to run, do the safety/marksmanship lessons and keep the registration table going if it's busy. We're told there are 13 schools close to this venue.

Then we'll need additional people to talk with everyone we possibly can. Another 5 full-time people would be a good number. Jim and I will also be there.

Both jobs are exhausting but if you can switch people back and forth and get a break from either the pellet line or talking to people, the day goes easier.

We're assuming we'll get some stage time. Those details haven't been worked out yet.

Be working on what you want to say to people at the booth. You'll say it lots of times!  It's excellent training to help people be more comfortable talking up Appleseed wherever they go.

Wear the Appleseed polo shirt if you have one. If you don't have a polo, wear a crisp Appleseed shirt (not one that's been going through the laundry forever).

If you have a costume from the Revolutionary War era, that tops everything. It's amazing to see the attention an outfit draws.

We'll have everything for the booth and pellet line. Also, if you have a handout list of shoots/LibrarySeeds you have scheduled, that's invaluable. We can't stress this enough. A majority of the attendees will be from that area.

If you'd like to help, please let us know as soon as possible. We're oneshot_onehole and Prone to Knit. If someone would like to take charge of this area and organize/communicate with your instructors that would be excellent. Just let us know who that is.

This is exhausting work but so much fun. It will energize your spirits.

Looking forward to meeting and working with you all. We'll post more when it gets closer to the event.

Thanks,

Kim

Jim and Kim Heath
CO SCs
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

PaxxAZ

I'm in as follows

Thursday afternoon about 2:45 ish till it's done
Friday afternoon as well
Saturday all day.
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

azmule

I do not know yet if I can be in Arizona that weekend; if so I should be able to work Saturday at least and possibly the last half of Friday.  I hope to know more next week.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

RangeRat

PTK,

RangeRat, SniperCat, and possibly Persistent_1 will be there.  Will be leaving LV early in the AM on Friday; we'll stay in touch as we progress.

Need any supplies?

RR

Prone to Knit

Thanks, all, for volunteering. Hope you can make it azmule. Hurray, the Las Vegas team is jumping in! Looking forward to working with you all.

Anyone else?  This is a lot of fun (yet exhausting). Be ready to meet future students, make range and PR contacts.

We'll bring all the supplies except for:  water for instructors, candy (chocolate and chewies) for the jar and a handout describing the shoots and LibrarySeeds in Arizona.

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

azmule

Although this is short notice, it *is* perfect timing - we have a Phoenix area shoot (with too many vacancies) the very next weekend.

I'm hoping I can make this.  As the only Arizona instructor (that I know of) with a stereotypical colonial ponytail, I ought to invest in some colonial duds for stuff like this.  Where does one get 18th century clothing on short notice without breaking the bank?

PaxxAZ

Quote from: azmule on October 04, 2012, 05:08:22 PM
As the only Arizona instructor (that I know of) with a stereotypical colonial ponytail, I ought to invest in some colonial duds for stuff like this.  Where does one get 18th century clothing on short notice without breaking the bank?

I seem to remember something about
you can have it fast
you can have it inexpensive
you can have it well done
you can only choose 2

However you can try your luck on ebay...in the mean time i will see what I can find in the next day or two online. I am not seeking colonial Duds, But steampunck stuff is of interest.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

lysander6

I just gave AZBinary a bunch of admin stuff & T-Shirts (grey) since I am retiring from Appleseed.  He also has both of my laminated Lexington & Concord maps for display.
Gun control is mind control.

" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are nothing but targets,
Nine are real fighters...
We are lucky to have them...They make the battle,
Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior...
and He will bring the others back."

- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)

My Blog:  http://zerogov.com/

On Appleseed sabbatical since 2012...

PaxxAZ

what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

Prone to Knit

The expo is coming up quickly.

So far, we have:

PaxxAZ is helping us set up on Thursday. Please PM me a phone number so we can let you know when we're coming in. Set up is from 12 PM to 6 PM. You mentioned coming in about 2:45.

azmule is a maybe.

RangeRat and SniperCat are coming from Nevada, possibly with Persistent_1, about Friday late afternoon.

Does anyone else want to come play? Right now it looks like PaxxAZ and us two for Friday. That's not enough to run the pellet line, let along talk to people.

Who else can you all bring to help? Those not used to talking with people can run the pellet line or work into talking to folks if they'd like. Any person can run the pellet registration (getting waivers signed and safety glasses on everyone). Do you have people that don't come to the forum?  Please let them know of this opportunity. This is a chance to fill your upcoming shoot and make contacts for 2013.

Thanks, all. We're looking forward to working with you.

Kim

RangeRat

These events are line fillers....  We had a Survival Expo show a couple of months ago and just got done with a 2 bay shoot at Boulder City, NV this past weekend; we haven't had enough shooters for 2 bays in years!

If there's any way you can help out please do so.

RangeRat

Is the AZ contingent providing the trifold inserts?  If not, we can make some up if someone sends the AZ calendar to us.

azmule

I was going to bring a stack of Buckeye fliers (attached to the post at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26880.0), but I'm not going to be able to get up there 'till Saturday.  We're putting together the 2013 schedule now, but for the rest of 2012 we have two shoots, Nov 3-4 and Dec 1-2, in Buckeye (Phoenix area) and one in Sierra Vista on Dec 15-16.

Does any of the Arizona crew have trifolds in stock?  I exhausted my supply promoting the Marana shoot in Tucson - I have more on order but they haven't arrived yet.

PaxxAZ

Only a few most scratched up. I distributed the nice ones.  But they are generic not "AZ".
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

Prone to Knit

Ratchett

Great job Kim! It is all a starting place no matter how large or small  O0

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley