News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Summerville, Georgia September 21-22, 2012

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, September 23, 2012, 05:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

We had a great first day of shooting at the Chattooga County Wildlife Club inaugural event in Summerville, GA yesterday. The Club tried to spoil our Appleseed Instructor crew with a great setup and facilities and most importantly their hospitality at their temporary range. Club management is already planning to schedule more shoots later this year and next. Thanks to Earl, Wayne, Mike (who is THE expert if you want a presentation on the M1 Garand) and the rest of the club crew of Dangerous Old Men.  ;D

Day one we covered the basics as usual with over half the line consisting of brand new shooters under 18. It's always good to see young people on the line who have decided to come out and improve their shooting skills and learn about the principles upon which the country was founded.

More info and pictures after today but at the least I have a feeling that we're going to have some people who wish they could "Shoot Like a Girl if you can."

check back tomorrow.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Warp

We were spoiled. How often can you get a hot, fresh hamburger for $3 without walking more than about 10 yards from the end of the firing line? Porta-potties and handwashing sinks were outstanding, as well...although I heard that spiders might come out the first time you asked for water in the morning. Gotta wake people up, right? :lol:

Dangerous Old Men, you say? There's a pic for that. :)
[

The future

A shot down the line on Sunday. The orange hat in the middle is working a bolt.

Downrange view from the line

Edited to add:
I got to squeeze a few rounds off myself on Sunday afternoon.

famdoc2892

Many thanks to Ramblinwreck, Warp, Tellico and Goose for (literally!) putting on a clinic on how to have a great Appleseed event!  The Chattooga County Wildlife Club was excited to host this event, and we were delighted with the response as we "got our feet wet."  We count it an honor that you would include us among the sons of liberty, and thank you and your families for the time you spent with us re-kindling our heritage. On behalf of my family and the entire CCWC, we thank you!

Ramblin' Wreck

Great Appleseed weekend at the inaugural event of what we hope are many more in Summerville, GA near my home in EXTREME Northwest Georgia (We're in the corner an you can see Alabama and Tennessee, almost, from here.)

As Warp pointed out, the folks with the Chattooga Wildlife club make having a successful AS weekend a snap. No Gatorade and potted meat product for this shoot boss last weekend, we had burgers and hotdogs. Huzzah to the club.

The weather was great with a hint of fall in the air, making it a little cooler thankfully, and we started Saturday with 13 shooters with nearly half under the age of 18. Everyone came with ample supply of the only thing we ask for, a teachable attitude. Our instructor crew of Tellico, Goose and Warp insured the shooters left with much better shooting skills than they had when they arrived.

Only one shooter, Richard, made it above the 210 mark to earn a Rifleman patch but several others were very close. A couple of our younger shooters scored in the 170's with iron sights by the end of the day on Sunday.

Richard was our only Rifleman but his son Ian should get some kind of award to mark his somewhat unique accomplishment. You always will have someone shoot the wire holding the targets over the course of the shoot. Ian was our shooter here. He managed to shoot it not once, not twice, not even three times but FOUR times. Now, if we can just get that wire across the middle of the 400 yard target....  ;D I think we'll see Ian back next time. Keep dry firing young man.

Pictures of the weekend can be found on Photobucket here: http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l502/Ramblinwreck77/Appleseed%20Events/Summerville%20September%202012/

Thanks again to the Chattooga County Wildlife Club for hosting the weekend.  We look forward to coming back often.

Remember to fire in Rifleman's cadence because the only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

Ramblinwreck

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Warp

Quote from: Ramblinwreck on September 24, 2012, 01:10:04 PMA couple of our younger shooters scored in the 170's with iron sights by the end of the day on Sunday.

One of them (I am terrible with names, the 16 year old, name started with "ch") snuck a 201 in there late Sunday afternoon, even (with irons). Stage 2 was the only significant hangup. Excellent shooting, young lady!

Ringer68

This was my second Appleseed and not only did I have a blast and meet same great people, I learned a lot. Before I went to my first shoot 2 weeks ago I couldn't even hold a rifle offhand for any length of time. Once I learned how to use the sling I was able to focus just on shooting, not muscling the gun, and I can now clean the target consistently. Phase 1 of the AQT suddenly became one of the easiest for me.

Despite significant equipment failure (damaged optics) and other technical difficulties, I was able to work through these obstacles and nearly qualified several times for my patch (I shot a 209 on day 1 at my first Appleseed). So I have addressed the equipment issues and look forward to shooting again next week without all the added challenges. Beware guys, I DO shoot like a girl... :)

Ramblin' Wreck

I can vouch for the Shoot Like a Girl part.  ;) I think I see an orange hat in someone's future as well.

Ramblinwreck

Quote from: Ringer68 on September 24, 2012, 11:27:00 PM
This was my second Appleseed and not only did I have a blast and meet same great people, I learned a lot. Before I went to my first shoot 2 weeks ago I couldn't even hold a rifle offhand for any length of time. Once I learned how to use the sling I was able to focus just on shooting, not muscling the gun, and I can now clean the target consistently. Phase 1 of the AQT suddenly became one of the easiest for me.

Despite significant equipment failure (damaged optics) and other technical difficulties, I was able to work through these obstacles and nearly qualified several times for my patch (I shot a 209 on day 1 at my first Appleseed). So I have addressed the equipment issues and look forward to shooting again next week without all the added challenges. Beware guys, I DO shoot like a girl... :)