News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gibsonburg Sept 22-23 2012 AAR

Started by posterboy, September 28, 2012, 11:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

Better late then never.....

Awesome weekend !

Saturday was cut short due to a very rare September thunderstorm ! man I guess I have seen just about every type of weather at G'burg..usually out of season and unexpected at that ! We had a hearty group of Americabn that braved the cold soaking rain but alas..none can withstand lightning so had to pack it up when the storm had passed.

Sunday came and most all returned and were rewarded. we quickly got back on schedule and in no time we were shooting Aqt's left and right. After Lunch everyone had fun shooting the REAL 1/4 mile banging steel with all types of rifles. The late AQt's produced one PERFECT 250 ! I can add that to my list of amazing thins I've witnessed. Louie(Pahos) promised me he was going to persist until he shot a perfect score and indeed he Did. Slim will be happy to know that "mohawk" one the scouts that Louie brought shot Rifleman as well.Mohawk was really close last he time to G'burg but time ran out . He crossed over this time !  Jim also finally jumped over the 210 mark and shot rifleman ! Congats to all  the new riflemen. Others were close so just keep at it and the goal will be met !  O0 :cool2:

Thanks to the crew and also for Raygun deciding to turn his Bluehat into an Orange one! Ray...you are asset to G'brg !

pb

Pahos

So many of the Scouts that came this time, and before, were excited at my 250/250, and Josh making Rifleman, that they want me to take them on the 28th of October!
I'm teaching a CHL Course on the 27th of October.
I am going to limit it to previous Appleseed attendees only, because I want all the new ones to wait till Spring and get the complete training. Most of these Scouts and Mary are determined to get their Rifleman after seeing Josh get his.
What you don't know is that I have an extensive librairy, mostly leather bound, of books on or by the fore fathers. I have been researching the stories I've heard at Appleseed, and not only are they true! (Never Doubted it for a moment:), they are vastly understated. These were great men, whose blood flows through us at these events. To be able to own 500 yards in all directions and protect your family, self, and country from man or beast with a rifle is a very special skill. It's one of empowerment, and one of responsibility. We need to remember just how lucky we are to live in a time and place that even allows us to learn such important skills, that all good men and woman should know.
Thanks to all of the instructors...
Your mission is an important one.
You have gotten me thinking... about joining you, I just couldn't be at every event.
I just never wear hats! Could I get a red armband:)
Take care,

Louie (Pahos)

Steadfast

I just want to thank all of the RWVA instructors, IIT's and volunteers that put on these events.  I found Appleseed back in April and and have attended three thus far.  I have brought both of my older girls as well as a couple of younger kids that belong to friends of ours.  ALL of the kids have had a blast and always want to return. 

This is a program that not only teaches history in a way that brings it alive, but it builds confidence in these kids.  Most kids love to shoot when introduced to firearms, and this program gives them excellent training on both the safe and proper use of the firearm.

In August, Ray helped out Mary, my 13 year old, when she was struggling.  She was having issues getting any groups at all on Saturday. When Sunday came, Ray showed up and was down on our side of the line and took Mary under his wing and provided her with a different rifle with scope. It seems she was having trouble seeing the target.  With the scope and proper instruction, she improved immensly and was finally have success at putting some groups together.   

On Cassie's first Appleseed in April, Dangerous D was there and made Cassie feel welcome.  Having a female instructor really made Cassie feel relaxed and she progressed nicely through the weekend.

On the confidence note, Cassie was extrememly afraid of any recoil and of the loud sounds coming from the centerfire rifles in April. In fact, she wouldn't even try a centerfire out on the 500 yard range her first appleseed.  At her second appleseed, we were able to get her to try a AR-15, and once she tried it, I couldn't get her to put it down.  A big thanks to Morgan for letting Cassie use your rifle!

On her third trip, she saw Chris shooting a .308 "sniper" rifle as she calls it.  She looked at me and said "Dad, I want to shoot THAT!"  Well, that floored me.  She did, and she loved it.  Again, the confidence building factor of appleseed is huge in these kids.  She was hitting steel at 500 yards and loving it. She is now suggesting that we sell one of her sisters so that we can get a ".308 sniper" of our own....  Below is a link to a video where you can hear her hitting steel at 500 yards.

Shooting is pretty tight knit community. It was good to see Louie there with all of the scouts.  I knew Louie from a prior CCW class that my wife took of his.  I already had my CCW but my wife wanted me to sit in the class with her.  Louie was a great instructor and my wife had fun and learned a lot in his class.  We used Mark III 22\45's in the class, and my wife enjoyed shooting that so much, that I went right out and bought her one.  It was great to actually see the "perfect" 250 score target that Louie shot.  You would make a great asset to the Appleseed group if you decided to join them, even if you had to wear a orange hat!  I don't wear hats either, so if I ever decided to join that would be an issue as well lol.

We are looking forward to October!. Not sure how many of the kids will be available, but I keep passing out flyers and trying to get other people interested. 

Again, thanks to all of the volunteers and thanks to a great shoot boss!

Here is Cassie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIQoZAyq8g

Dangerous D

Thanks to both of you for posting such supportive and descriptive accounts of your AS experiences.  Congrats to you both achieving your scores....feels great doesn't it! Most of all thanks to you both for bring the youth and others to AS.  It is people like YOU that make a difference in America by getting up, getting involved, and getting others involved too.  Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing you and those that you bring to AS again.

Jim- I can't wait to see Cassie shoot KD:)