News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville, IN. AAR Sept 15-16 2012

Started by Mudcat, September 16, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

What a beautiful weekend for an Appleseed at Redbrush Rifle Range! 12 great Americans came out to enjoy the weekend with us to learn marksmanship and some of the heritage of our great country. All first timers but 1. We were greeted with a new IIT Saturday morning, Scot thanks for stepping up. We went through Saturday with learning and drinking from the fire hose. At the end of the day we had a few really knocking on the Rifleman door. Sunday morning brought a little drizzle but under the roof we did our review and answered the questions everyone had been wanting to ask. The sky cleared and we were on our way to the AQT grind, and grind we did. The first new Rifleman was Chris with a 211 shooting an AR with iron sights and Tula ammo, so yes it can be done easily. He later backed it up with other scores with the highest being a 220. Great job Chris! Next was Dirk busting through the door with a 221, on a 10/22 with Tech Sights. He also later backed his score up as well. Bill was gaining ground quickly from a 97 then a 156 then a 179. Don't give up Bill you came a long way this weekend, I mean a LONG way! Great job! His son Nathan was running the new M1a and doing well too. Frank really started to come on and get things under control towards the end of the day and we just ran out of time. Louis was out designated marksman this weekend and he ran his Marlin 60 with ease all weekend, being safe and getting better and better. Jasmine or LJ as she was called a lot made great improvements while keeping everyone entertained. Melinda wow what a difference a scope made with you! Come back and I know you can do it. Pete smiled every round and even through the equipment issues and shot seated on all the prone stages. He did a great job working with an injury. Gabe was a hoot and has a great attitude and was a joy as was Amber on Saturday. Then we get to Kara, this young lady was a portrait of persistence, she fought through cross eye dominance and then with 1 AQTs remaining her cross hairs broke on her scope. No telling how long it had been causing issues. She went onto a loaner Marlin 795 and shot a 211 on the first AQT with that rifle and last AQT of the day. Woohooo congratulations!
A special thanks to Tim for scoring targets and performing AC duties without being AC. A huge help! JWS, Tater, Sur+rifles, Scott and XDman for their help.

Here is a picture of Dirk. Sorry cannot post the other pictures, no release. But it happened. lol

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Pup

Wow, Mudcat you are fast.  What a great weekend for an Appleseed!!!  I had a blast and am very proud to have accepted an Orange hat.  I am looking forward to meeting many more great people and learning from the while sharing what I know.  Great job to all of the new Riflemen this weekend. 

redbaron

What a perfect weekend for an Appleseed!! Great weather and great shooters. So proud of Jasmine and Louis for sticking it out and staying with it. I think Jasmine will break the 210 at her next Seed.

Way to go Pup on the orange hat. You did a fine job on your first weekend as a IIT.

Mudcat, no problem on the scoring. As I've always said in the past, I will always help in any way I can.

tater

That was a great shoot! Scopes coming off, scopes just flat out breaking. Nothing rattles these people! Just adapt and overcome. Targets don't lie, there was serious improvement going on up and down that line. Not to mention some very good, solid rifleman scores. Congratulations to all of you Riflemen! You earned it! Now would somebody please get a hat on the Redbaron? Seriously, the guy takes working for free to a whole new level...
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

vanny37

Thanks for a great weekend!  The instruction was excellent on both history and marksmanship, as we learned a bunch. 

The project is doing great things and it is wonderful to see many of our fellow Americans out for a weekend because they want to learn about our past, improve our future, and maintain a skill set so many more should have.

I know I improved significantly from the instruction as did Kara.  Thanks for your persistence in helping her; she is very happy and it is great to see her confident in making the shot!

-Chris and Kara
Live free or die

Mudcat

I've been trying to get a hat on Red Baron since Nashville. Maybe some day he will take one Tater, who knows. I was just thankful to have him this weekend. Made a big difference in the amount of instruction and 1 on 1 the shooters got.

Chris you both did great this weekend. I was so happy for Kara, that girl would not quit and was the picture of persistence. Took instruction very well, and was always smiling even through the AQT grind. Awesome job!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

redbaron

Quote from: Mudcat on September 18, 2012, 09:59:49 AM
Maybe some day he will take one Tater, who knows.

Yep, maybe. Who knows.  :)

ddudeck

The weekend was filled with fun times and great shooting. I had a wonderful time!
Thanks to all of the instructors! I learned from each of you.
The greatest lesson I learned was the use of a loop sling. It definitely improved my connection with the rifle. I've already ordered a sling for each member of my family and will be teaching them how to use this type of sling.
The heritage teachings were very informative and thought provoking. I will be reading more on the Revolutionary War and this great country's history.

I offer 5 tips to future Appleseed attendees:
1. Be sure to read "How to Prep" and "What to Bring" articles on the Appleseed site and at http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/articles.asp. Google and read an article called "Becoming a Rifleman."
2. Be comfortable shooting your gun. Be sure it is reliable.
3. Stretch your body (especially hips & back) for a couple of weeks before your shoot to make getting into th e shooting positions easier/less painful.
4. Take lots of notes during the instruction portions of your shoot. The instructors are providing very good information. If you can't remember it, you won't learn it or use it!
5. Keep trying to improve & don't give up!

I would have liked to stay late on Sunday to do some long distance shooting, but was tired and had a long drive back home.
I'd like to get some more long distance instruction/training. Any suggestions?

I will definitely attend another Appleseed event and bring friends & family.

Thanks again.

tater

There is a full distance shoot at Camp Atterbury on October 20 and 21. I highly recommend looking into it.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

Mudcat

Quote from: ddudeck on September 19, 2012, 10:41:10 AM
The weekend was filled with fun times and great shooting. I had a wonderful time!
Thanks to all of the instructors! I learned from each of you.
The greatest lesson I learned was the use of a loop sling. It definitely improved my connection with the rifle. I've already ordered a sling for each member of my family and will be teaching them how to use this type of sling.
The heritage teachings were very informative and thought provoking. I will be reading more on the Revolutionary War and this great country's history.

I offer 5 tips to future Appleseed attendees:
1. Be sure to read "How to Prep" and "What to Bring" articles on the Appleseed site and at http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/articles.asp. Google and read an article called "Becoming a Rifleman."
2. Be comfortable shooting your gun. Be sure it is reliable.
3. Stretch your body (especially hips & back) for a couple of weeks before your shoot to make getting into th e shooting positions easier/less painful.
4. Take lots of notes during the instruction portions of your shoot. The instructors are providing very good information. If you can't remember it, you won't learn it or use it!
5. Keep trying to improve & don't give up!

I would have liked to stay late on Sunday to do some long distance shooting, but was tired and had a long drive back home.
I'd like to get some more long distance instruction/training. Any suggestions?

I will definitely attend another Appleseed event and bring friends & family.

Thanks again.

Great 5 points and I highly agree. I noticed that the ones who were taking notes during the instruction were also the ones who scored Rifleman and that is usually the way it is. It was great to have you there on the line with us. I agree get to a full distance/KD event and see how the 25m instruction works at distance. Hope to see you again soon.
--George Washington