News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wish the we had the same amount of shoots in Missouri as we did Last year

Started by Lowglow, August 07, 2012, 11:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowglow

Please don't take this as complaining but I really wanted to use my opportunity Card to shoot rifleman this year, but sadly the shoots were kind of rare this year and none was with in 300 miles of me to attend ( I usually attend Bates City).
Do we have any plans next year to expand ?, it seems like the word on Appleseed is fading and not as many people are talking about it as they used to.

Fred

Lowglow, far from "Wish[ing] the we had the same amount of shoots in Missouri as we did Last year", I wish we were having twice as many, as the program continues its rapid expansion.

However, we went thru a divisive moment last year, and unfortunately for you guys in MO, MO was impacted more than any other state, as unhappy instructors left the program.

While Appleseed continues growing strongly across this great nation, there is a temporary vacuum of sorts in MO which we are trying to get filled.

It may take a year or more to rebuild AS in MO - maybe less, if our remaining few stalwart instructors pick up the torch with the sense of "urgency" which should suffuse everyone in this program. The irony is that MO was not the center of the uproar, and that IL, the geographic center, has rebounded very nicely.

I hope some of our MO instructors will read your post and be motivated to make MO the growing powerhouse in Appleseed which it once was. They can make it happen.

I hope you will have plenty of opportunities to go to Appleseeds in MO, in the future.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Pete!

I live in St Louis and plan to step up and take an orange hat at my second shoot sometime next month.  I caught the fever when I made Rifleman in June and it hasn't subsided yet.  ;D  I will help as much as I can.  I frequently travel for work, which brings up a question.  Are instructors (or IITs) tied to their specific state or can they help in other states?  If I can line up my work trips with Appleseed shoots, it would be a good thing. 

Unfortunately, I will only be in MO for about another year before I move back to Alaska.  Therefore, my time to help here is limited.

-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

colycat

It would be a good thing indeed, Pete!  One of the greatest things about being a AS instructor is working in other states and meeting and making friends with the best people in the country.  So, by all means, schedule your shoots where you are at.

And when you get back to AK,  ItsansSks will be waiting for you O0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Pete!

-Pete

"It is an enormous simplification to speak of the American mind. Every American has his own mind." -Ludwig von Mises (Theory and History)
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)
"Those who are in love with practice without knowledge are like the sailor who gets into a ship without rudder or compass and who never can be certain [where] he is going. Practice must always be founded on sound theory." -Leonardo da Vinci (#19 Of the Mistakes made By Those Who Practice Without Knowledge)

Pitmaster

I spent my high school years in Neosho, Missouri. I've facebooking about Appleseed to friends and acquaintances who are still in the area. I know some folks have read and made positive comments. If there is ever one in that part of the state I will do my best to come down.

Stop in at some gun clubs, shooting ranges, or find someone with enough property and ask them if they would be willing to host one. I convinced our club back in March to host one in July. At the July Board of Directors meeting I got 2 more approved.

Don't forget to check border states.

Another option is to bring someone to an AS to get them sold on it. Sharing expenses and driving could make a longer distance easier.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

thursday

We have a shoot newly scheduled for thanks giving weekend at Rosebud, MO. 
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad