News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hickory, North Carolina Self Reliance Expo September 14-15, 2012

Started by Prone to Knit, August 17, 2012, 09:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

Time to start rounding up troops for the next Self Reliance Expo.

http://www.selfrelianceexpo.com/

It will be at the Hickory Convention Center at 1960 13th Avenue Drive SE, Hickory, NC 28602 September 15-16.

http://www.hickoryconventions.com/index.html

We don't have actual hours yet but typically we move in the afternoon before the Expo starts, which would be the 14th. We have pellet line walls to assemble and any help would be appreciated. Total booth set up takes a few hours.

I'm guessing the attendance will be 5-6,000. That's typical for this Expo in a new area. This is the first time they're heading east.

We'll have an indoor pellet line with 5 pellet rifles. That will take the equivalent of 5 full-time people to run, do the safety/marksmanship lessons and keep the registration table going.

Then we'll need additional people to talk with everyone we possibly can. Another 5 full-time people would be a good number. Jim and I will also be there.

Both jobs are exhausting but if you can switch people back and forth and get a break from either the pellet line or talking to people, the day goes easier.

We're assuming we'll get some stage time. Those details haven't been worked out yet.

Be working on what you want to say to people at the booth. You'll say it lots of times!  It's excellent training to help people be more comfortable talking up Appleseed wherever they go.

Wear the Appleseed polo shirt if you have one. We'll try to obtain more. If you don't have a polo, wear a crisp Appleseed shirt (not one that's been going through the laundry forever).

If you have a costume from the Revolutionary War era, that tops everything. It's amazing to see the attention an outfit draws.

We'll have everything for the booth and pellet line. We ask that you bring whatever tri-folds you have. Also, if you have a handout list of shoots/LibrarySeeds you have scheduled, that's invaluable.

If you'd like to help, Lawrence has agreed to organize the staffing. Please contact him.   See his post at:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=31005.msg231688#msg231688

This is exhausting work but so much fun. It will energize your spirits.

Looking forward to meeting and working with you all.

Kim

Jim and Kim Heath
CO State Coordinators
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Lawrence

Kim,

Everyone, including Fred, is very excited about this opportunity and all are looking forward to meeting you and Jim! We anticipate and appreciate learning new and effective ways to promote Appleseed. Your dedication, experience and tireless efforts are legendary!

At our Saturday night after action Instructor meeting we confirmed 6 volunteers for sure Saturday. I'll be there Thursday afternoon to help you set up.

NC, SC, TN and VA instructors who can attend, please reply to this pm with you confirmation.

Many thanks,
Lawrence

DAR-Patriot

Hello,
Please let me introduce myself.  I'm Melissa Williams, a new Rifleman and Instructor in Training as of 8/19/2012.  I am also a DAR member (Daughters of the American Revolultion) and an 18th century reenactor, hearth cooking, etc.  I am the docent for our Chapter and represent our Chapter at local Revolutionary War commemorations.  When I found out about Appleseed just a few weeks ago, I couldn't get to the first one fast enough, inspite of the heat of July and August and limitations of my fat arthritic 58 year old body, the cause was just too important to me to waste any time!  I had the pleasure of getting to know several of the instructors and Lawrence and am so impressed with the knowledge, intelligence and passion of each one.  Lawrence is truly an amazing leader and has my complete respect.  I even had the honor of meeting Fred, who showed up to give me a pep talk when it was apparent that I was 'trying too hard'  It worked, on my last AQT I shot 235!  I attend local commemorations in my period clothing and lay our Chapter wreath in honor of the many Revolutionary heros who are buried in our area.  I had three family members who fought at the Battle of Kings Mountain and I attend the Oct. 7th ceremony there each year.  I only live about 45 minutes from the Hickory Conventiion Center and will definitely be on hand to help out in anyway I can......in my period clothing.......so COUNT ME IN!!!  I look forward to meeting you and many others.
Blessings,
Melissa Williams
www.mistymtshelties.com
home 704-263-9049
cell    704-913-2880
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death!"   Patrick Henry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".--Thomas Jefferson
A time to Pray for America ! You think?

Prone to Knit

Lawrence, I think you're going to be surprised by how average we are. Hardly the stuff of legends, I assure you. These things work because of the dedication of the local people.

Melissa - awesome!!! I'm sure your outfit will put mine to shame - I took the very simple route (J. P. Ryan patterns). I've got some things cooking in my head that I'll discuss with my husband and get back to you on. This could be fun.

Kim
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Sadman

Please count me in I'll be there Friday morning and will stay through Saturday.

Prone to Knit

Thanks Sadman.  Looking forward to meeting you.

Update on the Hickory, North Carolina Self Reliance Expo:

Hickory Metro Convention Center
1960 13th Avenue Drive SE
Hickory, NC 28602

Move in time is between 12PM and 6PM, Thursday September 13. We'll let Lawrence know closer to that date what time we'll be there. We plan on leaving Colorado this Sunday afternoon.  We'll need a few people if possible to set up the booth. We were able to get the walls and booth all set up in Las Vegas in two hours.

The show hours are:

Friday, September 14 - 11AM to 7PM
Saturday, September 15 - 9 AM to 7 PM

Booth tear down happens just after the expo closes - from 7:30PM to midnight. We've been able to do it in just a little over an hour.

If you can help, please PM Lawrence. He is organizing help for this event.

We will have need for 5 people to run the pellet line and also people to talk to expo attendees. You can switch out as you desire - we don't organize that. Be working on what you want to say to people because you'll say it really often.

We don't know if we'll get some stage time for our stories. The schedule is still being worked out.

If you can have a flyer or mini-insert for the trifolds outlining the dates for the shoots in the surrounding area (within a few hundred miles of Hickory) that's really advantageous. Lots of people will be asking. Texas and Nevada have put together info on 1/3 sheets of paper that are economical (front has shoots, back has list of what to bring).

If you have an Appleseed polo shirt, please wear that. If you don't have that, wear a newer Appleseed shirt (meaning any color, not faded). We will have a limited number of tan polo shirts.

If you have a period costume, that's the first choice. I'll be in mine. Melissa will be in hers (Melissa, I'll be contacting you soon).

This is a wonderful opportunity to grow your area. We look forward to meeting you. See you in about a week!

Kim

Sadman

My son Grathlong will be attending as well.  He is 14 and is an IIT3.

Prone to Knit

Quote from: Sadman on September 06, 2012, 10:50:55 PM
My son Grathlong will be attending as well.  He is 14 and is an IIT3.

It will be an honor to serve with him!

You asked on the chat what you needed to bring and what you could do for us.

There's nothing to do for us - we take care of ourselves pretty well but thanks!

Bring an unending supply of energy and enthusiasm. I've mentioned the flyer to promote your events - that's really valuable and up to your local crew to put together.

If your crew would - you could bring bottled water for the instructors and candy for the candy jar - the good stuff. That means no hard candy. People go crazy for chocolate and chewy candies. We purchased 6 large bags in Las Vegas. It draws people to the table and also keeps the instructors going, a few calories at a time! Jim and I walk around the expo a lot drawing people to the booth. Jim will often challenge a family to shoot at our booth and the best shooter will get a fun-size candy bar. Everyone laughs but they hightail it over to the booth (and the candy is available to everyone).

If any of the instructors is planning on a project that involves sand, if they would buy 12 bags of cheap sand (about 50 pounds each) and lend it to us for the expo to anchor the pellet line walls, that would be something else that we wouldn't have to provide. We don't travel with it so we end up buying sand for each expo and then giving it away.  If someone is willing to do that please let us know so we don't go and buy it before we show up to set up on Thursday. (We once used big heavy concrete pavers that were sitting in a corner at an expo, so that's another option if someone has them sitting around).

As far as everything else, Lawrence is bringing more tri-folds and we have the rest:  pellet line walls, pellet rifles, mats, pellet traps, table displays, posters, pictures, banners, waivers, candy and free drawing jars, rifles for display, etc.

So, those are some ways to help out - optional, but would make it easier on us.

We're so looking forward to being with you all!

Kim

Sadman

Promotions... I put a message on the NC Facebook page today to help put the event out there.  It would be great if all the members of the NC crew would pick up that link and share with your friends!!!

I can help with the water.  I'll check with Lawrence before the event and get a head count for our crew.  I'll try to plan on about 4 per day per instructor?  Candy bars, that is great!  I'll stop by the local warehouse club and pick up a box or two.

The sand bags would be a challenge for me to get to the expo.  I have a Jetta and I think 12 sandbags weigh more than my Jetta (not really but close!)  Is there anyone in the area that might be able to do the sand bags thing?

Cheers,

Sadman

Lawrence

Fred and I will meet at the convention center to help set up Thursday around 3:00pm.

Lawrence

Prone to Knit

Fred

For volunteers who need a room, see me at the event, either this PM or tomorrow AM. We will have a room or two available.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Sadman

I'm packing up tonight and headed your way in the morning.  We should be there around 10:00.

I have about 30 waters and a box of candy bars (30 bars) as well as a cooler of ice.

See you guys in the mornin'

Cheers,

Sadman