News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Michiganders check in

Started by TreadCarefully, July 02, 2008, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreadCarefully

Anyone from MI, please sign in here and let me know where you are.

We are working on the first MI Appleseed, in Lawrence, near the end of September. I want to get one set up in the SE portion of the state, something up north of Grand Rapids and another in the UP.

We are WAY behind here! How is it that the Land of Lincoln (and corresponding totalitarianism)  is on their THIRD AS this weekend and we haven't managed to have a single one????? What gives?

See you soon on the Appleseed Trail!

Spare the tar and feathers, spoil the politician.

"Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever." - Lance Armstrong

"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc."

colycat

TR

Maybe there is no one in MI.  If the UP had internet service you would have had a reply by now.

Colycat

Could be the self inflicted recession in MI is justified by their votes!
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TreadCarefully

Puff-TMD

Here.  :) 

Living in Tecumseh.
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

Muddogg

Hey the M-U-double-D-O-double-G is here in Detroit. Riverview to be more accurate, and ready to help out!
-The Muddogg

BeeFree

well now that I've finally recovered from Ramseur and gotten back online again...

I am BeeFree, just north of Lansing.  I have volunteered myself into the SC spot -  let me know what you're doing, what you need, and so on. 
I am NOT the world's most computer literate person, so don't laugh too hard while i march up this learning curve.

My question for you all is... do we have anyone in/near Washtenaw?  The Washtenaw Sportmen's Club would be a fabulous range for an AS - great KD range, facilities, and camping onsite.  I need a contact.

I want to bring AS to our local range, Cap City Rifle Club in 2009 - the calendar gets full real fast.

My husband wants to attend an AS right NOW (cause i came back from RBC and outscored him at the CMP clinic today - what a way to convert shooters) so let's get some set up!  Wait, then he'll shoot better than I do...

oh well, the things I have to do...

BeeFree
Make Orwell Fiction Again!

Muddogg

BeeFree, looks like that location is right inbetween PTMD and myself, one of us will have to check it out when we have the time, unfortunately I have a 3 day business trip coming up tomorrow so at the least it will be next Sunday or Monday before I can scope it out.
-The Muddogg

BeeFree

Washtenaw Sportsman's Club has a website  www.wsclub.org

There is a map to the range, a (very full) calendar of events, and if you go to the "about us" section, you will note that they host a whole lotta stuff.  Ranges for small bore start at 25 yards, their hi-power range goes to 600 yds.  I suspect that this will be an '09 deal due to their current schedule. I wish I lived closer to it...they have a fantastic 3D archery walk...

BeeFree 

Puff-TMD

A guy that I work with knows all the local ranges.  I will ask if he knows anyone we can talk to at Washtenaw.

puff
"Liberty means responsibility.   That is why most men dread it."  --   George Bernard Shaw

Puff-TMD

Quote from the Washtenaw Sportsman's Club.  I would say Appleseed fits right in with their stated objectives.  The name at the end may be a first contact.

puff

QuoteWashtenaw Sportsman's Club - Objectives
The objectives of the club shall be:

* To provide the grounds and facilities necessary for education, training, practice and competition in the several firearm and archery sports and disciplines;
    * To educate and support efforts to educate Club members and others in the safe, legal maintenance and use of firearms;
    * To maintain and preserve Club grounds and facilities for these purposes and as a means of conserving and preserving such natural resources and to otherwise practice and support the conservation and preservation of our country's natural resources; and
    * To maintain and develop, by precept and example, the principles of ethical and civil conduct, sportsmanship and fair play at the Club and beyond, and to support efforts to educate Club members and others in these principles of conduct, and in the conservation and preservation of our country's natural resources.

Washtenaw Sportsman's Club does not discriminate against applicants based on race, sex, age, weight, lifestyle preference, religious or political affiliation.

Questions and comments regarding membership can be directed to the Membership Committee at membership@wsclub.org or call Ed Krasny at (734) 971-5077.

BeeFree

Thanks, Puff.  I will start getting a packet together to send Mr.Krasny/WSC.

BeeFree

cozmacozmy

Just checking in and ready for duty. I live in the Grand Rapids area.

Not a member of any clubs, mostly have been doing my shooting on state land north of Sparta, Mi.
DNR has a shooting area there, although it's mostly a trash pit with all the junk let behind for targets.
Here's a pic of it. Can this work to hold an AS?
NO, freedom is not FREE!!!

Low-speed

Low-Speed Checking in.

Located in Midland (Coleman) Michigan.

Hmm.  Looks like it has a good backstop Coz.

DNR might be happy to have us hold Appleseeds there if we clean it up and maintain it....

Has anyone checked into the legalities of holding an appleseed on Michigan state property?

Any chance you could contact a DNR local and find out Coz?
Put em' on, strap em' up, and move em' out.

TreadCarefully

Hard to tell the dimensions of that pit from the pic. How high is the berm? Can we get a firing line 100 ft from the berm? How long would this line be?

Looks like a reasonable place to start, just need more data.

cozmacozmy

It's actually pretty clean in that pic for what it usually looks like. If it weren't for that small patch of trees in the left front of the pic the place would be a lot bigger. There is actually 3 zones of fire here so to speak. From the camera location to the tall berm is about 75-80 yards with the height of the berm about 25-30 ft. Here's a very crude drawing  ;D 
Should be able to get 10-15 shooter I would think side by side.

I'll get some more pics this week and post back. Also about 150 yards to the east of this is another spot but shorter to the berm , about 40 yds and the berm is only 10 feet high, but your shooting down hill into thick woods.
I also try to get a hold of the DNR and get more info on any restrictions there may be for "organized" groups.
NO, freedom is not FREE!!!

TreadCarefully

ACP230

I missed this board until just the other day.

I'm from the U.P.
There's been some talk about holding an Appleseed at one of the clubs I belong to, but I haven't been able to get in touch with the guy who is interested in it. 

I attended the Shiocton, WI Applseed on Memorial Day weekend this year.  Had a good time but didn't shoot well.   

SamD

I can't believe that someone hasn't called the Detriot Sportsmans Congress  http://www.d-s-c.org/index.html and asked to use their range. right at 23 Mile and Dequindre.  They would eat it up.

Sam

TreadCarefully

Quote from: SamD on November 23, 2008, 05:15:09 PM
I can't believe that someone hasn't called the Detriot Sportsmans Congress  http://www.d-s-c.org/index.html and asked to use their range. right at 23 Mile and Dequindre.  They would eat it up.

Sam

Anyone there in particular we should talk with?

SamD

I would talk with their training guy Jim Delaney, or the rifle guy Rick Hegelman.

Office number is  (586) 739-3500.
Can't guarantee anything, I haven't been a member there in a long time but they were alway open for something new and not a real stuffy club (unless you were a trap shooter ;D)

their emails are on the site's committee page

Sam