News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bellevue, MI Sept. 8-9 2012

Started by Swamp Thing, September 09, 2012, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp Thing

Shoot Boss is tired. Shoot Boss is happy. Shoot Boss will post more details later.

Everybody else....post up!

This was a seriously above average weekend!

ST

Rascal21

Great weekend with a wonderful group of people! Will post when I get home this evening.

Photos are posted here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.275086312601545.58260.240556109387899&type=1

D.S.S.

Congrats to 3.Dogs, one of Michigan's newest and finest Red Hat instructors!!!
Thanks for allowing me the honor and privilege to place finely tuned .30 cal holes with your version of "the greatest battle implement ever devised."

DiamondSharpShooter
"Somehow, it is OK for little Johnny to shoot and kill in a gory bloody mess aliens and humans alike, but it is absolutely evil to actually shoot at a paper target at a range."  --Marco Vorobiev

The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time.  If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be.  --Thomas Jefferson

Aim small...miss small! --The Patriot (movie)

mac66

Holy cow, is that Sam I Am (smiling all the time) with her Rifleman patch in those photos?  HUZZHAH!
And is that Earl with another patch?  Did he do it with the big boy rifle this time? HUZZAH!
And is that Diamond Sharpshooter's son Sean with a patch?  HUZZAH!!
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Rascal21

It sure is a yes to all 3 Mac! We miss you in Bellevue, how about you come see us in October?

MI-copperhead

Quote from: mac66 on September 10, 2012, 07:25:32 PM
...And is that Earl with another patch?  Did he do it with the big boy rifle this time? HUZZAH!.....
Gary, yes and no ;). I did it with my old reliable scoped Remmington 597. After the March AS in Bellevue with the M1A, on advice from some members of the M14 forum :sos:, I switched the 597 over to tech sights, but no matter how much time I put in on my range praticing :DH:, I just could not shoot the 400 targets well enough to get past 190 (most of the time it was 180 or lower). With my eye sight the 400's are just too much fuzz for irons. In mid- August I put the scope back on and immedately shot 200 (granted this is on my 25 m range in the hollow at home so no real pressure or other things to break concentration).   Once I can afford a scope  for the M1A I'll give it a try again  O0
I was very glad to shoot a rifleman score at Bellevue finally, as it was just a little more than a year ago I showed up there with my fancy M1A NM, brimming with overconfidance  ::) and shot a paltry 39 points on my first AQT  **) with the gaggle of 13 year old girls there ( Sam-I-Am was one of them) easily out shooting me by 100 points or more  $$-0. The best part of Appleseed is no one there made me feel this way but every instructor did all they could to help me that day and at every seed I've been to.
It has been outstanding to meet so many new people through AS in the past year, watch riflemen made (especialy the young ones), some become IIT's, some (actually a lot) advance to Red hats, Red hats become SB's   ..:.. .
I believe that even though people come to AS for different reasons (mostly the shooting) when they leave they are inspired by the instructors and the history to get out there and do something to bail out the ship.
Time for me to get off the soap box.  :sb:
Sunday was the only day I could attend, but what a day ! 3 new rifemen made and all of them under 17. HUZZA ! 3 Requalified Rifleman, one under 10. HUZZA ! And another Red hat promotion ! HUZZA ! Added to all the "regular" stuff that makes a "seed" so great ( good history, good people and good shooting) and once again great weather at Bellevue, it was a pretty spectacular weekend  ^:)^ .
To Swampy, Bee, Grey Wolf, 3Dogs, Rascal, Pinky and DSS (am I forgetting someone? I hope not) thanks so much for all the time you sacrifice to run these and help us drink from the AS fire hose  :bow: I hope we can reward you all as well as ourselves by regaining our liberity and righting the ship without a shot being fired in anger. Dear Lord please let it be so.

Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

Pinkey

I agree with 3.Dogs! Great weekend with a wonderful bunch of students!  O0
Congratulations Sam, Sean, Earl, and Brayden! (if I forgot anyone, I'm Sorry, CONGRATULATIONS) ^:)^
I had so much fun this weekend that my voice felt like it was going to give out when I got home!   **)
To all of our returning families, it was great to see all of you again and I hope we see you again VERY soon!  ..:..

Graywolf

What a fantastic weekend.  We had incredible students who just seemed to soak up instruction.  Congratulations to 3.dogs on his red hat!  Congratulations to Sam-I-am for taking the orange hat!  Congratulations to Sean, Earl, Sam-I-am, and Braydon for shooting rifleman/re-qualifying.  What a great bunch of shooters.

Many thanks to Swampy agreeing to SB this event.  I know it took time away from family and other activities but it was worth it. What a weekend!!
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

3.Dogs

What a great weekend.  Awesome shooters.   Congrats to Sean, Braydon, Sam-I-Am for your excellent shooting and earning your Rifleman.

I must say I had a wonderful time this weekend.  Thank you to all of the shooters for coming out with such great teachable attitudes.   Given the groups I was seeing I expect we will see more Rifleman in the future. 

Thank you to all of the shooters for retireing my Orange Hat.  Earl,  Thanks again for upgrading the rifle for my hats retirement.  1 AR, 2 Garands, and 1 M1A with I think I counted 19?  .22's makes for an impressive hat retirement.  I loved every second of it.   ^:)^

Thank You Swamp Thing for Shoot Bossing this event.
"Maybe we should call Burbs." - SteelThunder

fitty762

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone involved in this last Appleseed at Bellevue. This was my second event and I enjoyed this one as much or more than my first.

Frustratingly, I wasn't able to break the low 190 mark, but unlike last time, I consistently got my AQT scores in that 185-190 level. After my last Appleseed, I spent a lot of time working on positions, dry-firing and NPOA. It works! I wasn't sore this time and was able to find my NPOA a lot quicker this time around.

But those 400 yard targets continue to vex me. I spank them regularly on the Redcoat / Greencoat targets, but am still way too inconsistent on the AQTs. After reading Earl's post above (loved hearing your M1A while laying some 7.62x51 into 3.Dogs hat BTW) I think it may be an eyesight (lack of) issue, as those 400 yard targets do tend to get pretty fuzzy.

Only two disappointments from this shoot:
(1)   No Team Shoot? As the winner of a Culpeper Minutemen flag from the last Eaton Rapids Appleseed (it proudly hangs in my work cubicle), I went through a lot of effort to get my shooting mat as close on the line to Punk as possible to win another one, but there wasn't enough time. Bummer!
(2)   3 Dogs calling a ceasefire on the line before we got a Ping from Diamond Sharpshooter's Garand and Enbloc clip. Safety first I know...but it seems un-American to let that opportunity (and sound) go to waste.

I'm only kidding of course. You can't be disappointed at an Appleseed. As Swamp Thing said, we get to come together, learn some history and shoot rifles. That's pretty cool.

I do want to thank DiamondSharpShooter for helping me get my fundamentals worked out on Saturday as well as graciously offering to lend me his rifle - which was posting some incredible scores - on Sunday. I probably should have taken you up on the offer, but figured I should go with what brought me there.

As I'm learning, becoming a Rifleman requires persistence. And practice. So it's off to the range to improve my trigger control and follow-through. And probably finding a better sighting system than my TechSights!

Congrats to 3.dogs on his new Red Hat and to all the new Rifleman this past weekend! Well done!

Thanks again everyone for a great event. We'll see you again in October.

Jason

MI-copperhead

Quote from: fitty762 on September 13, 2012, 10:42:24 PM
.....Frustratingly, I wasn't able to break the low 190 mark, but unlike last time, I consistently got my AQT scores in that 185-190 level. After my last Appleseed, I spent a lot of time working on positions, dry-firing and NPOA. It works! I wasn't sore this time and was able to find my NPOA a lot quicker this time around.

But those 400 yard targets continue to vex me. I spank them regularly on the Redcoat / Greencoat targets, but am still way too inconsistent on the AQTs. After reading Earl's post above (loved hearing your M1A while laying some 7.62x51 into 3.Dogs hat BTW) I think it may be an eyesight (lack of) issue, as those 400 yard targets do tend to get pretty fuzzy........................................
........Jason

Jason, iron sights are a tough nut to crack and one I havent accomplished. I shot all three rifleman scores in the past 10 months with a scope and it does make a difference for me, so much so that I am working on aquirring a Sadlak scope mount and a quality scope for the M1A.
Another thing that I tried this week ,which has helped my practice scores and which I wish I had thought to do sooner, is I made a recording of my self giving the AQT line commands on my I-pod. I made 4 individual recordings, one for each stage, but included a countdown durring the timed sections. For stages 1 & 4 I gave it in 30 second intervals untill the last 5 seconds, and on stages 2 & 3, I did it in 5 second intervals.  This has helped me with my urge to rush and smoothed out the 55 and 65 second sections, enough so that I have picked up 15 more points in practice.  ( As Swampy said Sunday "slow is smooth, smooth is fast")

The best to you in your quest to achieve Rifleman status !  O0
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy

fitty762

Quote from: MI-copperhead on September 14, 2012, 10:49:28 PM

Jason, iron sights are a tough nut to crack and one I havent accomplished. I shot all three rifleman scores in the past 10 months with a scope and it does make a difference for me, so much so that I am working on aquirring a Sadlak scope mount and a quality scope for the M1A.
Another thing that I tried this week ,which has helped my practice scores and which I wish I had thought to do sooner, is I made a recording of my self giving the AQT line commands on my I-pod. I made 4 individual recordings, one for each stage, but included a countdown durring the timed sections. For stages 1 & 4 I gave it in 30 second intervals untill the last 5 seconds, and on stages 2 & 3, I did it in 5 second intervals.  This has helped me with my urge to rush and smoothed out the 55 and 65 second sections, enough so that I have picked up 15 more points in practice.  ( As Swampy said Sunday "slow is smooth, smooth is fast")

The best to you in your quest to achieve Rifleman status !  O0

Earl / MI-copperhead,

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. I think I'll do that as my earphones take a cordline attachment to my iPhone, so I could do exactly what you're suggesting for line commands. The 65 second stage 3 needs some practice on my part, so this would be very helpful.

BTW (and OT), I can vouch and recommend the Basset mounts for the M1A. I think you mentioned you were on the M-14 firing line forum and as you've probably seen, there's a lot of comments about them there. I looked at both the Sadlak and Bassett and am really pleased with the performance of the Bassett. I have two - Picatinny Hi / Low - on a Loaded and a Scout.

Far fewer rounds out my Scout, but it has not moved, creeped, etc on the Loaded after a couple hundred rounds. I know the extra attachment on the stripper clip is ideal though, and I don't think you can go wrong with a Sadlak. A little more spendy is all. I got the Weaver Tactical rings for my Bassett / Loaded combo and they worked great.

Thanks again. Hope to see your scoped M1A out on the line at a future event! :)

Best,
Jason

MI-copperhead

Jason
Glad to help. I hope the recordings will help you as much as they did me   O0 O0

Does your bassett have the groove that allows you to see the iron sights under the scope ? I'm wondering because The scope I ordered has a 40mm objective lens and I wasnt sure whether to get medimum height or high height rings for the Sadlak.

See you on the line sometime  :---
Thomas Jefferson

fitty762

Earl / MI-copperhead,

Sent you a PM reply to move our discussion off board.

Best,
Jason

LadyE

That Bellevue event was a lot of fun with a lot of great people. Congrats to all those who shot rifleman, I will give a specific Gratz to Punk who also shot rifleman. See you all in October.  :)

Lady E