News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Mexico locals

Started by twh731, June 30, 2008, 06:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twh731

I would like to get an idea of where everybody is in NM so we can see about the local help scene.  If it isn't too much data collecting how about it.  You don't need to put your name if you don't want I'd just like to get a feel for who all is out there.  Rather than leaf back thru all the different posts to find someone it would be help to have this info in one post.  Thanks

Taos, NM   twh731    Tom   twh731@taosnet.com
Appleseed is history in the re-making!

PJEVANS

Tom,
You look lonely over here all by yourself. 
My name is Phil Evans and I'm from northeast Oklahoma, PryorCreek area.  Looks like you might need some help out at Raton, I'll see if I can get off work and come help out.
Phil Evans
'Loud noises do not usually stop a gun fight,
     Well placed hits do'

twh731

Thanks Phil.  I do feel as though I'm floundering abit.  I dropped off some flyers at Whittington Center for them to put out for us and also while I was there visited a couple of outdoors shops and left flyers.  I have a couple of guys in the Alb. area who have put some flyers out down there as well.  I am going to try to contact any of the local 4H clubs and shooting ranges . 
   As for help on the day of the event I think I will try to set up a 25 meter line very early as the first established line is at 100 yds.  I am probably going to camp or get a cabin there Fri. night so I am there.  Thanks and looking forward to meeting you.  Tom

SamD

Hi tom
Sam Damewood from Alamogordo.
Barring AD&D I'll make the Whittington shoot, be there Friday and help you get going.

Sam

twh731

Thanks Sam,  I look forward to seeing you there!

Spatulaman

I'd post up through Durango, Trinidad and maybe even as far north as Pueblo/ Canon City area. I used to drive down from Lakewood for matches on a regular basis.

And TWC is truly a world-class range, with a dedicated HP range to 1000 yds, and room for 100 shooters on the line.

If it goes "Bang", there's a place for it at The Whittington Center.

Spatulaman

You might try sending Franktown Kid a PM, he's the Colorado honcho, and he's not too far from you.
Spat

BlueFeather

Hey Tom, Congrats on running a second successful NM AS in as many months...AND the patch too!  You worked hard.

Ah what Appleseed to go to this past weekend? It was a hard choice between  El Paso and Albuquerque, but we wanted to bring along some friends, so we chose to just drive over the hill.  Transmountain Road has got to be the prettiest drive in El Paso, so it was pleasant to do for a couple of days.  Half of the attendees were from Las Cruces anyway, so it looks like there is a market here.  We also have our own smaller local range, about ten minutes west on I-10, so LC  is really convenient and we usually have very mild winters.

It would be really nice to have an AS here!

Gillian, Rifleman, and former British subject.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

twh731

BlueFeather, the Alb AS went pretty well but was under-attended if you look at the population in and around Alb.  It was a pleasure meeting with the two Politicos who showed up.  The weather held out beautifully for us, and yes, getting the cloth is a satisfying accomplishment.  I am torn on which jacket to put it on, though.  If only all of our decisions in life were this tough, huh!  It sounds like you guys have a good thing going down there as there is an enormous interest in the AS Project.  Not nearly as many citizens dozying on the couch in your area!  Thanks for the invitation to stay at your digs.  Your place looks magnificent and if I attend an IBC or AS in your area I just might take you and TaosGlock's offer to occupy a room.  Are you guys going to be around for the Dec 27-28 AS? (if we have it)  Tom

TaosGlock

Quote from: twh731 on October 26, 2008, 12:44:02 PM
Thanks for the invitation to stay at your digs.  Your place looks magnificent and if I attend an IBC or AS in your area I just might take you and TaosGlock's offer to occupy a room.  Are you guys going to be around for the Dec 27-28 AS? (if we have it)  Tom
We will be around Tom! Come on down and leave that snow shovel...you won't need it. ;D
And BTW, all of you guys are welcome here.
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Sistema1927

I am in Albuquerque, and shot Saturday at the Alamogordo Appleseed this past weekend with my son who was home for Christmas from Arizona.

Is there the possibility of there ever being a Friday-Saturday shoot in NM or nearby?  Due to the fact that I pastor a church it makes it difficult to do a full Saturday-Sunday Appleseed weekend.  I wonder if the Friday-Saturday combination might also be better for some folks who might have to travel after a shoot in order to be back at work on Monday.

Just a thought.

SamD

Systema,
it was good to finally meet you.
We will work out something to get you more range time.

We need some access to a range up that direction.
Something other than the Abq city range.
No matter, the Appleseed trail does go through and around New Mexico O0

Sam

Fred

A pastor of a church?

Am I really the only one to see the possibilities here? (Can't be!)

Heck, bring the church with you, have a "sunrise" service, and then introduce them to a second day of "doing the Lord's work" - saving this country (can that ever be called "doing the Lord's work?").

"Where there's a will, there's a way..."

I need a new signature line: "Don't tell me how it can't be done; let's just do it - and you can tell me why not, after it's done." :)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Fred

PS: Welcome, padre! This program needs every American, for sure, but folks like you can bring in many others maybe a little easier than some.

So again, welcome! Two hundred-plus years ago, pastors were some of the most respected people in society. Dunno if that can be said about our modern 21st-century American culture, unless you are member of a rock band, or practice liberation theology - which you'll be doing, as part of Appleseed. O0

PS: I hope "padre" is still an acceptable form of address for a minister of the Gospel out west; if not, please accept my apologies, no ill-will or harm is (or was) intended.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

SamD

He's a good man Fred.

Best we all remember that when those colonial militiamen met to decide on a course of action, a man of God was always with 'em, and usually on the march too. 

QuoteOn the evening of April 18, 1775 John Adams and John Hancock met at the home of the local militia leader - and "coincidentally" Pastor of a Lexington, Mass. church - Jonas Clark. Unaware that at that very moment British Regulars were setting out to confiscate the arms of the Patriots, one of the visitors asked Rev. Clark if the people of Lexington would fight if necessary. The Rev. replied " I have trained them for this very hour!"

Sistema1927

Fred, "Padre" is fine, I have been called worse!

As to the standing of ministers 200 years ago, this is an interesting link:  http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/patriots.htm

I am a Baptist with Calvinistic leanings, and feel a special kinship with the "fighting Presbyterians" of the 18th century. 

Fred

Sistema: From the url you cite, there's this

Quote(Muhlenberg) was a pastor of a church at Woodstock, Virginia, at the opening of hostilities. When the news of Bunker Hill reached Virginia, he reminded his congregation that there was a time to preach and a time to pray; as for him, the time to preach was past.

We live in times when we don't and won't have a Bunker Hill, when all we have is the sure knowledge that our country is sinking and at some point, if we don't want it to sink, we have to stir ourselves and do something about it.

That awakening is our "Bunker Hill".

Quote"It is now," he cried, "the time to fight"; and throwing off his vestments he stood forth in the garb of a Virginia colonel. His brother having remonstrated with him for his enlistment, he wrote:

"You may say that as a clergyman nothing can excuse my conduct. I am a clergyman, it is true, but I am a member of society as well as the poorest layman, and my liberty is as dear to me as any man. I am called by my country to its defence. The cause is just and noble. Were I a Bishop.....I should obey without hesitation; and as far am I from thinking that I am wrong, I am convinced it is my duty so to do - a duty I owe to my God and my Country."

In February, 1777, John Muhlenberg became a brigadier-general in the Continental Army; in September 1783, he was a breveted major-general. He took part in the battles of Brandywine, Germantown, and Monmouth; at Yorktown he commanded the first brigade.

"It is now the time to fight" - only thanks to the founders, we understand that you can't fight if you don't have the "hearts and souls" of the American people - and if you have their hearts and souls, you don't need to fight - because we the people (thanks to the efforts of those same founders) control the government.

"The cause is just and noble...it is my duty so to do - a duty I owe to my God and my Country."

Sweet words, indeed. Even after two centuries, they still sound sweet...

PS: that's a pretty "hot" site, there...

Shelby

Hi all,
Me and my wife Jessi are here in Las Cruces, NM.  There are several others we work with who have also attended.  There are even more who are waiting on the next event.  We would love to see an appleseed hosted on our Butterfield range just West of town.

Shelby Lindsey
shelby.lindsey@gmail.com

BlueFeather

Hi welcome Shelby and Jessi! 

We are already planning two events at Butterfield. We want Feb 28-Mar1 and Mar 21-22.  Parks & Rec say they should get back to me this week on the paperwork and then we will post the application link online.

BlueFeather

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

SamD

Welcome again Shelby and Jessi.
This time you both make rifleman and get a hat ;)

TaosGlock

Quote from: Shelby on January 24, 2009, 12:45:38 PM
Hi all,
Me and my wife Jessi are here in Las Cruces, NM.  There are several others we work with who have also attended.  There are even more who are waiting on the next event.  We would love to see an appleseed hosted on our Butterfield range just West of town.

Shelby Lindsey
shelby.lindsey@gmail.com
It was absolutely wonderful to work with you two.
We will be getting together soon!
TG
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

Longshot

Shelby and Jessi,

Great working with you. Stick with it, persist! And stick with TaosGlock, Bluefeather, and Sam D! They WILL get you there.

Don't forget to include friends and family, they need to feel the fire, too!

Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Shelby

All,
Thanks for the warm welcome.  Hope to see you all soon.

Shelby

Buck

Cool, looks like we are going to have a real strong Las Cruces contingent O0 I cant wait till the Las Cruces appleseed. I have some people in mind Who I'm sure will be interested.

Longshot

So, ..... Uh,........ Buck,
I'm assuming from the tag line under your avatar that the top of your head has miraculously turned bright orange!!!

Congratulations, and Well Done!

OK, enough weepy back-patting, now put your shoulder to the timeline and get to work!!!  LOL!

Welcome, and enjoy the next phase of your life....

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Devnull

Another New Mexican checking in. I live in Albuquerque and plan on attending the Raton AS.

Maybe we should include our chili preference?  **)
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

BlueFeather

Great to have you here.  TaosGlock and I will be working at that event.  Raton is a wonderful place, and probably the prettiest range anywhere.  Tell your friends about this: we want a big contingent for April 19th!

TaosGlock

Lookin' forward to seeing you April 19 in Raton Devnull! O0

Buck

Quote from: Devnull on January 27, 2009, 04:18:12 PM
Another New Mexican checking in. I live in Albuquerque and plan on attending the Raton AS.

Maybe we should include our chili preference?  **)

Green!!! ;D

SamD