News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Mexico locals

Started by twh731, June 30, 2008, 06:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballistic_ken

I'm in for a penny, in for a pound.

This whole San Juan County thing has come together rather quickly for me.  I just barely joined here and this is proceeding pretty fast.

I'm willing to volunteer my time and energy to make this thing grow, it's just way faster than I ever dreamed.

If there's something you need me to do, or anything I'm missing, just let me know.

SamD

Ken,
Just wait till you get to your first Appleseed.
Ever had a drink from a firehose?  ;D

Seriously, we plan big, and work hard.  It is all part of what we call being a "Rifleman", which is way more an attitude towards life than it is an exercise in shooting ability.  Like any human endeavor, there will be successes and failures.

"Devils and angels belong in the church.
You try for the best and you deal with the worst.
Just keep on plugging, you old nine to five,
For you are the heartbeat that keeps us alive."

We try for the best and deal with the worst and in the end the people never let us down.  O0

ballistic_ken

Had my daughter help handing out Appleseed fliers at the gun show.  She's a natural and handed out all the brochures we had.  She'd pick people that blew by the booth too fast, track them down and give them a brochure.  She did much better than I would have.  She's fixing to be 11, and cute.  I am over 40 and not so cute.  She was great at approaching the kids and parents.

She also is turning 11 next month and is getting a Ruger 1/22 compact.  She wants to do Appleseed.

I also have a line on a couple alternative ranges, just in case SJWF can't meet our needs. :cool2:

ballistic_ken

Oh, how do I get more of the brochures for Appleseed? :sos:

BOOMER_EOD

tom

I'm station in Ft. Bliss and can be around for most if not all the events in southern new mexico, just have to see wat training is like. :---

Boomer

SamD

We are glad to have you Boomer.
West Texas really does belong to us anyway  O0

Sam

oladcock

Welcome Boomer, I look forward to meeting you! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

Was great working with you Boomer!
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

JustJeff

I'm down here in Alamogordo  :wall: as little as I can.  My wife is constantly  ~~:), so I don't have a ton of free time. If I can help out somewhere that's not too far from here, send an  :sos: and I'll try.  Hopefully there'll be another event here in Alamogordo, or Cruces, again soon (I'm boycotting El Paso for Boycotting AZ).
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

SamD

Welcome aboard Jeff,
Glad to have you.
We will be scheduling some more shoots soon.
There are three of us here in Alamogordo
Give a yell if you want to hit the range.

Sam

TaosGlock

Welcome JustJeff.
Our next Cruces shoot is in November 13-14 after the Dickerson Gun Show where we will promo that shoot.
I'm working on a Deming shoot again for October at New Deal Sports. There is also a gunshow there in Oct.9-10 so after that we will have the shoot..
Also gonna try and get 1 shoot per month at Raton NRAWC in 2011.
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.

SamD

OK Folks.

The government, wisely, has decreed that Independence Day is a day of celebration. It also falls on Sunday this year.  If you are in the Alamogordo area, come on out to the range in LaLuz at noon on Sunday (hit church early, plenty of time).   We will have a celebration of Liberty, use the whole 360 yards available and enjoy some conversation with friends, and maybe make some more.  For lack of better terminology, we'll call it a Mini.

Don't try to use your BBQ as an excuse not to show up, bring the grill and the people that were supposed to come to your place to the range and BBQ there. Leave the beer at home we won't need it anyway.

Sam

Captwa

Jeff,

The secret to Appleseedin is to get your wife to shoot. Then she'll get her friends shooting and next thing you know you'll be able to watch your ball game ( or shop for ammo )in peace while they are at the range. 

Heck ,Shorty goes to Appleseeds just to hear the three strikes story and the dangerous old women tales.  Of course you will have to learn to sleep with one eye open. Those "old" women like the dangerous part.

Happy Birthday America!

Wa

TaosGlock

Quote from: Captwa on July 03, 2010, 02:26:00 AM
  Jeff,

The secret to Appleseedin is to get your wife to shoot. Then she'll get her friends shooting and next thing you know you'll be able to watch your ball game ( or shop for ammo )in peace while they are at the range. 

Heck ,Shorty goes to Appleseeds just to hear the three strikes story and the dangerous old women tales.  Of course you will have to learn to sleep with one eye open. Those "old" women like the dangerous part.

Happy Birthday America!

Wa

Hey Captwa!
You got that right!

Captwa

Hey Taos!

Did you mean the "peace " part or the sleep with "one eye" open part?   Either way I found Sam's three strike story online so Shorty could get re- inspired again but she misses Blue-F's Gals with Grit tales.  I might need to sleep with TWO eyes open if she hears more of them!

I've been reading up on some seventh step pertaining stuff and my head hurts. Time to head to BLM zone and shoot more. After this weekend when its safe out there, damn amateurs.

Y'all can PM me , same name on AOHell.

Wa

SamD

Be moving the range time back to 1300 if you are coming.
Going to spend a few minutes speaking with the Alamogordo A2ATF people at Alameda Park in Alamogordo.

Sam

JustJeff

Quote from: Captwa on July 03, 2010, 02:26:00 AM
  Jeff,

Happy Birthday America!

Wa

LOL, I asked her to come out on Sunday.  She'd love to shoot, and used to years ago, but she doesn't think her back or shoulders would take it anymore.  I told her that a .22 shouldn't be a problem, but she said no. When she uses pain as an excuse, I believe her....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Captwa

Jeff,

My wife and I are both out on disability. There are times we can not complete a course of fire at the appleseeds. It wont keep us from our quest for rifleman. It wont keep us from participation at whatever level we are capable on any given day. I've seen injured servicemen participate and folks worse off than us too. I take inspiration from them.

The instructors only ask you to do your best, whatever that is. They understand that everyone is different and adapt to each persons capabilities. It may be a youngster with attention problems, or an old poop like me who can't rotate to get a leg up.  They adapt. Lots of them have physical restrictions and yet they teach. You can sit out sections of instruction and observe if needed. No pressure.  They understand.

All you need to bring is an empty cup . Appleseed will fill it.

Wa
  ps. My brain only can do one thing at a time. If I'm thinking front sight I cant think backbone.

JustJeff

Yeah, Capt, I understand that......however, I don't push my wife to do ANYTHING she doesn't feel comfortable doing, even for the right reasons (she has an ex who took it to the extreme sometimes).  I know she CAN shoot if she has to, She's at least fired every gun I've put in her hands and is familiar with them.  Sometimes just getting them downrange is all that is necessary.  She's a Missoura gal..... it won't take a whole lot to get her on target once she starts shooting.

On another note, I had a good time with Sam and the others at the range Sunday; for the time that I was there, we put a lot of rounds downrange (those cans and targets didn't stand a chance).  Prior to that, Sam spoke at the Alamogordo 2ATF (2nd Ammendment Task Force) bbq, and was very enlightening....he garnered a LOT of interest in the program after he spoke.  The bbq in itself was a small gathering, however it was a gathering of folks who were members of multiple groups..... Appleseed, OathKeepers, Sons of Liberty Riders, and of course 2ATF.....all people with serious concerns for our Great Nation.  We'll be having a joint meeting of OathKeepers and SOLR in Abq next Saturday if anyone is interested in details.
Jeff

Captwa

Jeff,

I hear you on the let her do what she's comfortable doing!  Shorty gets into things some times if it looks like I'm having too much fun.  Some times enthusiasm requires a few days of pennance and the real danger of doing more damage. Not worth the pain? Who knows.

My uncles current wife is from Mizzorah and that old gal shoots gophers with a pistol from the front porch!  Dont pic the vegtables from her patch!  Sam and THE Garand work together like a well oiled machine, inspiring! I gotta practice a lot more!

I'm in Santa Fe most of the time and visit Alamogordo and NY mostly and some other places as required.

Sounds like you are a busy fella with those organizations.  I'll clam up now and might see you on a range some where.  My best to you all.

Wa

JustJeff

Quote from: Captwa on July 07, 2010, 03:02:56 AM
    Sam and THE Garand work together like a well oiled machine, inspiring! I gotta practice a lot more!

Yes! I had the privelege of watching him SHOOT that thing.  He's an artist with it.

oladcock

Welcome all you new folks and looking forward to meeting you on the trail. As for the physical limitations, yep, we've all got them in shape or form. My wife has many and fought like hell to get that first rifleman score, then shot like 5 in a row after the light bulb came on.

I had a lot of lower back issues for years and what we did and still do is throw a shooting matt on the living room floor with a target across the kitchen and down the hall. A few minuets each day get into the positions as best you can and do a few dry fires. You'll find they get easier and don't hurt as much. They even start to get comfortable. Those back issues I had for years?.....They went away and haven't returned! So besides AS making me a better person and better shot, it's improved my health. Maybe we need universal Appleseed instead of universal health care!  ++) Again, welcome aboard and I salute you!...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TaosGlock

And I might add that any of you guys are welcome to come to Raton and join BlueFether and I. :~ :---

JustJeff

Quote from: Captwa on July 07, 2010, 03:02:56 AM
  Jeff,

I hear you on the let her do what she's comfortable doing!  Shorty gets into things some times if it looks like I'm having too much fun.  Some times enthusiasm requires a few days of pennance and the real danger of doing more damage. Not worth the pain? Who knows.

My uncles current wife is from Mizzorah and that old gal shoots gophers with a pistol from the front porch!  Dont pic the vegtables from her patch!  Sam and THE Garand work together like a well oiled machine, inspiring! I gotta practice a lot more!

I'm in Santa Fe most of the time and visit Alamogordo and NY mostly and some other places as required.

Sounds like you are a busy fella with those organizations.  I'll clam up now and might see you on a range some where.  My best to you all.

Wa

UPDATE:....... Nancy and I will both be at the Aug 14&15 Mayhill shoot..... The camping and fishing convinced her.  She's actually looking forward to sending a bunch of rounds downrange too, now.

DieslPwrd

Hey Adcocks, I need some help on a couple historical facts.  Have lost my old email list. Please email me; I need to send you a document to look over.  Gracias.
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

oladcock

DieslPwrd, Are you all set?...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TNTCrazyLady

Hello from a 50 something newbie that just completed her first shoot in Abq this weekend.  LOVED IT  ;D

Many thanks to Roy and Elaine I learned tons  ^:)^

Can't wait for the next one I can get to !!!!
"Yesterday, the greatest question was decided which ever was debated in America; and a greater perhaps never was, nor will be, decided among men. A resolution was passed without one dissenting colony, that those United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States." 
Adams, John
(1735-1826, American, second President of the United States (1797–1801),lawyer, statesman, diplomat and political theorist.)

I share Preparedness, Homesteading, Self-reliance knowledge & doc's at:  http://nmurbanhomesteader.blogspot.com/  &  http://www.scribd.com/TNTCrazyLady

"Posterity: You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it." 
Adams, John Quincy
(1767-1848, American, sixth President of the United States (1825–1829), American diplomat)

"We have given you a Republic, if you can keep it."
Franklin, Benjamin
(January 17, 1706  – April 17, 1790,

Gideon

Welcome TNT-CL!  I'm delighted you decided to join us on the forum. 

Roy

hankh

Howdy All;

NFG on board. Last post I see here is in 2010 ... what happened,
everyon fall off the face of the Earth???
Live 1/2 way between Hatch and T or C.
Anyone near-by?

thanks for being here  :-\

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...  :wb:

comuaiki

Ok, this is my first post, add one more to planet earth.  I am out near Taos.

Got boolits?...