News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

October 13-14 Marana (Tucson) Appleseed

Started by azmule, September 01, 2012, 05:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

Flier PDF is at http://azappleseed.org/Marana1012.pdf

Tucson area volunteers...  I've printed up a stack of these on some very spiffy parchment-look card stock, let me know if you want some to post around town over the coming month.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

azmule

Starting with Tucson gunshops, if you're a regular, or even just pass by during your day, stop in and ask them to post a flier!  Pasted below is a list of Tucson gun shops and other stores that sell guns and shooting supplies - I'm not personally familiar with many of them, but the ones with an asterisk are the ones I've been in that have posted Sierra Vista fliers for us in the past.  Unfortunately, many of those were closed Sunday and Labor day when I was out posting, but the ones that took a flier are listed in green.

PM me or post here where you've posted fliers and I'll keep this list updated.

Greencoat font = Marana flier posted
* = has posted Appleseed materials in the past

Tucson Gunshops:
Arizona Gun Emporium, 3682 W Orange Grove Rd Ste 128
The Armory on Pima, 5118 E Pima Street      *
Black Weapons Armory, 5023 E 5th St
C & T ENTERPRISES INC, 2100 N Wilmot Rd Ste 205
Defensive Arms & Ammo, 5225 E Pima
Desert Arms Co, 1015 W Prince Rd Ste 131   *
Diamondback Police Supply Co, 170 S Kolb Rd
Emr Firearms, 323 E Ajo Way, Tucson, AZ
Frontier Gun Shop, 3156 E Grant Rd      *
Guns & Targets, 4802 E 23rd St.
Marksman Pistol Institute, 5051 E 29th St.   *
Marksman II, 1280 W Prince Rd      *
Murphy's Guns And Gunsmithing, 3235 N Country Club   *
R And A Tactical, 6811 N Thornydale Rd.
Second Amendment Sports, 5146 E Pima   *
Slash K Guns, 3156 E Ajo Way
Spartan Armory, 5301 E Speedway
Thunderstick Trading Company Ltd., 1125 N Jefferson Ave
Tucson Guns and Western Artifacts, 8556 E Broadway         *

Tucson Ranges:
Pima Pistol Club
Tucson Rifle Club (Three Points)
Tucson Mountain Park
Southeast Regional Park

Discount/Sporting w/gun and/or accessory sales:
Big 5 Sporting Goods, 5695 E Speedway
Big 5 Sporting Goods, 10390 N La Canada
Big 5 Sporting Goods, 4901 N Stone
Big 5 Sporting Goods, 6441 S Midvale Park
Big 5 Sporting Goods, 3860 W Ina
Dicks Sporting Goods, 11935 N Oracle Rd      *
Miller Surplus, 406 N 6th Ave
Miller Surplus, 1537 S Craycroft      *
Sports Authority, Broadway & Kolb
Sports Authority, 10805 N Oracle Rd
Sports Authority, 4225 N Oracle Rd
Sports Authority, 5185 S Calle Santa Cruz
Sportsman Warehouse, 3945 W Costco Dr      *
Walmart, 7150 E Speedway

Tucson Other:
Cycle Gear, Grant Road

Sierra Vista:
Trail Boss Outfitters, 124 West Fry Boulevard, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 515-0048
Saguaro Firearms, 125 East Fry Boulevard, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 459-0707
Big 5 Sporting Goods (@ the gun counter), 135 Arizona 92, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 459-1801
Chosin Firearms, 2133 N Highway 90  Huachuca City, AZ, (520) 456-8859

AZbinary

I will be in Boston, and therefore miss the inauguration of the Marana range.
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Are you available before then to help post fliers?  Unfortunately, I'm out of town myself until the week before the shoot - Labor Day weekend was the only opportunity I had - otherwise I'd be working my way down the above list myself.  I'm hoping some of the other Tucson Appleseeders can help out with this.

AZbinary

"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

Old_Lightfighter

azmule, if you can send me a stack via mail, I'll put them up in Sierra Vista.  I'll PM my mailing address.  If you have the fliers in digits, then send it - it might not be as cool as the parchment-type, but it still gets the message to the user.   O0 O0

Let me know.

Tom

PM with mailing addy sent.

azmule

Thanks guys!  So far I've also sent out a press release and/or community calendar listing to:
The Tucson Weekly
Arizona Daily Star
The Explorer
The online Tucson Citizen
The Arizona Reporter
Green Valley News & Sun
KGUN 9's "Guy Atchley's Arizona"

PaxxAZ

had the Girlfriend hit her local Gun Store:

Diamondback Police Supply Co   , 170 S Kolb Rd

It was already hit by "2 Guys".
Marana Flyer front and center on counter next to Checkout, however ours looked better (Parchment Paper) and she left one on Heavy paper for door. She also left Tri-folds.

Two of her friends works there, though not there at the time and she gave a good accounting of what is covered during an Appleseed from a female participant point of view.

She also left information at her work, and promoted it to one co-worker who is a Scout leader, who will promote it at their next get together.

My girlfriend Rocks!!! 

There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

azmule

Quote from: PaxxAZ on September 22, 2012, 09:44:53 PM
had the Girlfriend hit her local Gun Store:

Diamondback Police Supply Co   , 170 S Kolb Rd

It was already hit by "2 Guys".

I had been having kind of a bad day today 'till I read this post - I feel much better now!   :)

AZbinary

Diamondback is my LGS (local gun store) and I know most of the folks there, including the owners...and I dropped Marana fliers earlier this week
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

azmule

Very cool!   :cool2:  If Paxx's girlfriend was the third one there, I wonder who that other guy was?  Thanks to all of you!

Everybody working at this, please PM me with the names of the places posted and I'll cross 'em off the list above.  (Or add the names if not already there.)  Even in Sierra Vista - we need to be building a promo list of Appleseed-flier friendly places in every population center in the state, so future volunteers will have some guidance when it's their turn.

Old_Lightfighter

I'm off work today, so I'm taking care of prominent locations in Sierra Vista.

Once I finish, I'll post a list of the locations.

Old_Lightfighter

Had 200 flyers printed up, and evenly distributed to the following Sierra Vista locations today:

Trail Boss Outfitters, 124 West Fry Boulevard, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 515-0048
Saguaro Firearms, 125 East Fry Boulevard, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 459-0707
Big 5 Sporting Goods (@ the gun counter), 135 Arizona 92, Sierra Vista, AZ, (520) 459-1801
Chosin Firearms, 2133 N Highway 90  Huachuca City, AZ, (520) 456-8859

I'll try to hit up a few more Pro-2A, firearm-friendly places tomorrow, including the gun counter at the local Wal-Mart. That one might be iffy...

azmule

Very cool - thanks!  I had never seen a shooting event flier of any sort at the gun counter of my local wally, so I wasn't holding much hope when I asked, but both the guy working the counter and his superviser looked at it and said "put it up right there, and leave a stack of fliers too."   O0

Since you're a local, where do Sierra Vistans go to find out what's happening in the area?  Does the daily paper have a calendar section?  Is there an "alternative" weekly?  How about online calendars?  As mentioned above, I'd like to compile a statewide promo list not just of flier-friendly places, but also community calendars, media contacts, and the like for the major market areas of each AS partner range.

slinged_in

All of this promotion looks good!  Many hands make for light work!

I will be sending an email blast out tonight to some folks at the company who are planning to come.  Also have two women are coming with me, I am picking up a loaner rifle to bring to the shoot with me so both of them can shoot.  Posting fliers tonight in my local area sporting goods stores.

So.....

How many loaner rifles do we intend on havnig at the shoot?  I'll have two, but both are spoken for.

Colton

azmule

I'm bringing 2, but one is the DDSR (Diminutive Designated Sniper Rifle - http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31631.0;attach=94234;image); anyone over 5' 2" would likely be uncomfortable shooting it in prone.

Old_Lightfighter

Quote from: Old_Lightfighter on September 24, 2012, 07:27:50 PM
I'll try to hit up a few more Pro-2A, firearm-friendly places tomorrow, including the gun counter at the local Wal-Mart. That one might be iffy...

Complete failure on distribution of anything today, in town.  I'll try to get it done in the next few days...

Quote from: azmule on September 24, 2012, 10:55:07 PM
Since you're a local, where do Sierra Vistans go to find out what's happening in the area?  Does the daily paper have a calendar section?  Is there an "alternative" weekly?  How about online calendars?  As mentioned above, I'd like to compile a statewide promo list not just of flier-friendly places, but also community calendars, media contacts, and the like for the major market areas of each AS partner range.

Sierra Vistans take alot of their motivational local-activity planning strategies from the geographically proximal, spontaneous, Bisbeeans.  Anything goes, and there's not much planning.  The Sierra Vista Herald would publish dates and activities for us, but I don't know if there would be a fee, and I don't know if it would be that far-reaching.  Local radio would be much more effective at getting the word out, and they might do it for free for a non-profit org like us.  Maybe, free.  The most prominent station is K-101 in SV (100.9):
http://www.allhitskzmk.com/About-K101/7077067

Quote from: slinged_in on September 25, 2012, 08:04:31 PM
So.....

How many loaner rifles do we intend on havnig at the shoot?  I'll have two, but both are spoken for.

Colton

I'll bring one Tech-Sighted 10/22 as a loaner, but whoever uses it should definitely treat it like a borrowed rifle, and not pound the barrel into the ground.  For accuracy reasons, they should plan on bringing enough CCI Blazer or CCI Mini-Mags  (in .22LR) to feed it.   O0

I can also bring up to three ARs that have iron-sights.  Two already have slings, one is not even sling-capable right now, but I can get it that way.  Ammo for those would need to be considered by the potential shooters, though, for best chances at Rifleman.  Two are 1:8 twist .223 Wylde chambers, and should run 68 or 69 grain HPBT match rounds, for best accuracy.  The other is a 1:7 twist 5.56 NATO chamber heavy barrel, and should run 75 or 77 grain HPBT match rounds (preferrably Mk262 ammo) for best accuracy.  They'll all eat 55 grain .223 shelf-available plinking ammo with ease, but will not produce the best results.  In the hands of capable shooters, they should be able to get it done with plinking ammo, though. 

They'll be with me, so it's up to the crowd. 

PaxxAZ

On the Loaner issue:

With no reservations I can bring 2 10/22s with some modifications as loaners, one optic-ed, for 5'7+ and one as a modern Liberty rifle that has an adjustable stock.

The CZ bolt action 22 and the AR Vermiter 5.56 I have some reservations on.

If the Girlfriend comes, she has her own, if not, I probably have an adjustable AR styled 22 with optic or secondary sights available.

In short 2 10/22s one for a moderate to strong guy as it weighs 9+ pounds and one for anyone. After that I have to know or have someone I know vouch for them.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

Old_Lightfighter

Quote from: PaxxAZ on September 25, 2012, 11:35:42 PM
On the Loaner issue:

...After that I have to know or have someone I know vouch for them.

I'm pretty much in that boat with mine - I don't want them to go to just anyone, with no firearms experience in the least - just any "unknown."  I'd need to get some verification from somebody that knows somebody shooting, before loaning those out.  I'm just sayin'... 

I have a local friend that is cadre at that range, routinely.  I'd trust his judgment on any shooter that he has show up, on anyone he recommends.  Without doubt.  He'll be there for his first Appleseed, as a shooter, also. 

azmule

I just got back to Tucson tonight, work is gonna body slam me tomorrow and the weekend is already gone, but I had a couple of hours tonight to scratch a dozen more places off the list above.

And if you're worried about loaner rifle muzzles being used to dig for worms, scroll to the bottom of this thread (http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=21921.msg178305#msg178305) for a cheap and easy effective fix I used on the DDSR.  Vinyl tubing and zip-ties can be found at any hardware store.

PaxxAZ

Just to clarify, 2 are free for all's, 2 are not.
Not so concerned with the muzzle in the ground aspect, 1 is the Stock getting marred, and I am picky with the ammo for both, I'll supply the ammo for the 22s, the other is a heavy and difficult rifle. Not that it has not been marred a tad, but I have a physical reaction when it happens. I don't want to be angry with someone for a slight amount of carelessness on their part, plus it is a bolt action. Not the best for our needs but available if truly needed.

The 24 inch heavy Barreled AR, is not something someone coming without a rifle (unless a shooter visiting from out of state)  should be learning on. On day 2 standing position will be dreaded, sitting will be feared, and prone will be more then welcomed it will be enjoyed for all 4 minutes.  Plus I am somewhat picky as to the ammo going through it.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

thewarriorhunter

hi all. i just signed my wife and i up. i'm looking forward to bringing her to the shoot... and let the emphasis be on bringing, not dragging!  :)

we'll both be using 22s, mine and a loaner my buddy is giving me so we can shoot on the cheap. i do have an ar 15 that i was thinking of bringing as well to get it zeroed in. is it practical for me to use two rifles like this? we'll only be there on saturday. the 22 will be the primary and the AR the backup in case the 22 has a malfunction that is to bad to clear at the range, but it would be nice to practice a little on that as well.

looking forward to seeing you all there and learning some history!

also, does anyone know the proximity of the vehicles to the firing line? i ask because i was thinking of loading up an ice chest with drinks for us and some to share with you nice folks, but if it's not practical then i won't even bother with that.

azmule

Welcome!  Glad to have you both join us this weekend!  Do bring that AR, even if you're only shooting on Saturday (on Sunday, the folks with centerfires have the opportunity to apply what they learned out to full distance) - not only is it good to have an extra rifle handy in case of problems, lots of folks bring an extra rifle just to be able to try out what we teach on multiple platforms.

As to parking, someone else will need to answer that, this is our first event at this range and I have to admit that I haven't been out there yet to see first hand how the parking is handled, but I'll bet there will be no shortage of volunteers to help with that ice chest if parking is not close enough.

thewarriorhunter

i've seen a youtube video of the range and looked at google satellite photos of it and it seems pretty nice. a friend of mine has shot their before with military and he said it is nice.

PaxxAZ

I second everything AZMULE said!!!

If there is no proximity with your ice chest, and you arrive around 8:30 all should be good, if not you might need to wait till mid day for help if needed in moving to the line.

Shade seems to be at a premium on the range.

The AR is where it is at, if you have the time. Everything you learn is fully applicable with Centerfires, with 308s then you would start to notice some of the reasons for some of our lessons, recommendations and exercises.  Filching should not be a big issue with 22LR or even 5.56...once you go into larger calibers it is a natural response. Also recoil and its management become issues.  What some of the exercises and recommended positions are for, is really maintaining accurate and repeatable shots with large center fires, as well as making shooters aware of any flinching they might be doing.

However, most of these lessons can be learned well using a 22.LR, but truly master them a higher caliber center fire really consolidates it.
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

thewarriorhunter

Thanks for the info. Maybe I,ll focus more on the AR.

What is the policy for sidearms at an appleseed shoot? I CC or OC always, is this allowed? During the class?

PaxxAZ

Short answer, No.

Have a way to secure in your car.

Someone may need to correct me, or we can discuss in the morning. Bring um if you got em. Have a way to secure in your car.

No Firearms on or near the Line until the safety briefing has been given.

You may not have any firearms with you other than your rifle with you during the Appleseed Event.  That rifle will stay on the line until the range has been deemed safe for Transport of Rifles. (typically after the safety briefing and near the end of the day)

Part of the reason is Insurance, part of the reason is one is muzzling people (namely Range safety officers Like me) every time you go prone and other shooters on the line if you are in a sitting position.   

Cars will be a short distance from the Line at all times, there should not be anyone else there other then us at the time.

As I said before, we can discuss in the morning.

what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

thewarriorhunter

I may be able to get my hands on one or two pop up canopies... would those be welcome?

azmule

I'm told that there will be one pop-up there, but I haven't met anyone in Arizona yet who's likely to complain about more shade.   **)  If you do bring anything like this that needs set up time, or even if you'd just like to help us set up the rest of the stuff, you're welcome to show up early - starting around 7:30 or so - so we can have everything ready to go by the 8:30 start time.

thewarriorhunter

I'm going to try to get there as early as I can... to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, and to be late is inexcusabl... unfortunately i'm at the mercy of the babysitter showing up