News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Muskegon, MI AAR August 25-26, 2012

Started by SteelThunder, August 22, 2012, 10:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelThunder

Day one is in the books.

Had a great (but warm!) day with the good folks in west central Michigan, specifically about 10 miles north of Muskegon at Muskegon Pistol and Rifle Club.  15 shooters made us all smile and, let me tell you, they know what they are about! 

Lots of teachable attitudes and much improving scores.  Our junior shooters might be outpacing our adults in improvement, but that just means we have more and more shooters knocking on the door of Rifleman.  Our "walk on" Cheryl had never touched a rifle before and walked away all smiles, small groups and promises to shoot more!  I expect several of our shooters to be knocking out those AQTs with authority tomorrow.

Ben is our closest...shooting in the high 180s, he is bound and determined to bust through with that bolt action.

Special thanks to the youth shooting program who served a delicious hot lunch today too.  More tomorrow!

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

SteelThunder

Day 2 in the books and oh, what a difference a day makes.  The weather was cooler, the pace was faster, the scores were higher.  The only thing that didn't change was the attitudes of our shooters...great job guys!

Sunday morning started with a little dip in scores, although the Redcoat looked much better than Saturday morning.  After a quick refresher of positions, 6 steps, NPOA (this time, with a working laser even!), we launched into AQTs.  Keith and Kevin sought the perfect comb height and butt length for seated.  Ben tried his hand at a semi-auto.  Nolan was back from dehydration and raring to try some transitions.

We have multiple people that with just a **little** more work are going to be wearing a patch soon.  Bruce -- you've got the skills down, just put them all together at once.  Keith, Kevin - knocking on the door in the 170s-180s means the patch isn't far away.  Doug - you better get there quick because Alex is hot on your heels.  Mike, take those .22 skills and apply them to your AR and you're there. 

Our junior shooters were a treat.  Alex's smile was infectious, Ben and Nathan battled all day and finally got in the high 190s/low 200s and will be there next time (hint, hint).  Haley figured out standing and busted through into the 140s.  And Nolan gets the most improved award - first AQT of the day at 90, last one at 157.  Whoo-hoo! 

I was pleased to get to spend the entire weekend with all 3 of my kids shooting (with no arguing!).  Thanks guys.  Best part -- Ben's mom made us cookies (we know you didn't do it Ben)! 

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

SteelThunder

It's a wrap...book another successful Appleseed in Muskegon!
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

R1SGx2

Nice shoot and great photos,

QuoteCheryl had never touched a rifle before and walked away all smiles
the can do attitude.... All that is needed is a teachable attitude.

Quoteweekend with all 3 of my kids shooting (with no arguing!). 
Family - nice and I bet Mom was glad you gave her a break for the weekend,,, Next Mom
should come also and set up on the opposite side of the line.

QuoteKeith, Kevin - knocking on the door in the 170s-180s
until the nexr shoot, dry fire and NPOA drills...

Very nice work by the Shooters and SteelThunder and Cadre,,,...
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Pitmaster

The cookies were a great surprise at the end of the day. Thanks Ben and thank your mom.

Mike, who was shooting centerfire with an ill fitting stock and sling will soon be hitting rifleman scores. Dry fire and trigger control to get you  over the hump.

Thank you Alex for dog sitting occasionally. SASS really appreciated it, as did I.

The Rich kids were so helpful and nice to be around. It won't be long  until there are some more IITs on the line.

I didn't get down to the other end of the line to interact with any one else much but from listening to the other instructors they sure were proud of everyone.

Good luck and thank you for your service to the 2 Saturday shooters who will be heading off to boot camp soon. Men like you are needed and appreciated.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

Holy cow, Pitmaster, how could I have forgotten?  I failed to mention our Saturday only shooters Kevin and Kyle.  Finer young men you will not meet.  They met at an Army recruiting center and are leaving for boot camp on October 9th.  They decided together that they would come to an Appleseed to have a leg up on the shooting qual in Basic.  They both improved dramatically and should impress (if it is possible to do so) their instructors at boot camp.

Good luck and thank you for your service, gentlemen!
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Edheler

It was great being in Michigan again, and to stay at the Harrington Inn... priceless. :) I see many riflemen coming from the group we had this weekend! Keep practicing! The range was great, I wish I had taken a peek at the pits.

Looks like my chicken wing needs a bit of work when I don't have a stock. ;)

Attached are the pictures I took. If anyone wants full sized ones just PM me.

Swamp Thing

We got through a whole weekend at Muskegon and nobody drowned. Huzzah!

Not only that, we had a great turn out. Special thanks to Doug and all the board members at the club for doing a great job helping to fill the lines. Your country thanks you!

Extra special thanks to Mr. Grissom from the club's youth league for providing some tasty hot lunch on both days. BTW, hold on to that .270 since I know I'm holding a winning raffle ticket.  O0

And a very extra special thanks to all of our students who came out to learn and refine the uniquely American skill of rifle marksmanship, along with the all important message and lessons of our shared heritage as Americans. Don't let it end here folks. Get engaged, make a difference, and get everybody you know off the couch.

Great weekend, I can't wait for more.

ST