News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The weighty Chain of Command (or) Is it just me or is something Rank

Started by SPQR, August 10, 2012, 02:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

I think I want to name all of my threads with two different names like they did in Rocky and Bullwinkle.  That would be funny.

I had a red hat tell me the other day that he couldn't take charge of a project because his rank did not carry the necessary authority.  When I read the PM I came up out of my desk chair like my pants were on fire and launched my doughnut across the room, such was my terrible consternation. 

I saw another post the other day where someone listed IIT through to Master Instructor as a "rank".   Rank?

In Appleseed there is only one rank: Rifleman

Everything else we label ourselves with, my friends, is a JOB.

Instructor in Training is a job.  Instructor is a job.  Senior Instructor is a job.  Master Instructor is a job.  National Director is a job.  Applecore is a job.  Some people do their jobs better than others.  I have seen Red Hats who couldn't carry an Applecore's clipboard.  I have seen IITs who carry the weight of the world.  No one Appleseeder is bigger than the Mission.  With that in mind, though, remember that every Appleseeder is mission critical.  Every Seeder matters.  Every Seeder is important.  Rank doesn't enter into it.  The titles we carry, they are job titles.  Our job is to push the ball a little closer to the goal line, to the rally point.  The Mission is work.  The work can be fun, sure, but the work has to get done before we can go home.  So it goes with a Mission.

That isn't to say there isn't a Chain of Command.  When I conduct the IIT Primers (see, my title as Indiana Training Coordinator is not a rank, as HQ repeatedly reminds me, its work I have to do) I write out the Chain of Command for you guys and gals to see.  It starts with all of us and goes to our State Coordinator, then to our Regional Coordinator, then to Head Regional Coordinator, then to the National Director.  I then show my cell phone, which has a phone number for each person in that chain to show you how easy communication in this program can be.  (The last time we actually called Fred, and he turned out to be at an AIBC in Colorado.  He actually answered and asked if I would comment to the attendees on how to be better at Promotions.  I thought it would be funnier if I just did my Fred impression, which is pretty good.  Fred didn't think it was funny but I heard laughing in the background.  Thanks for getting it Colorado.)

The weird thing about that chain, though, is that the titles in that chain are Job titles too.  SC, RC, HRC, Fred.  Its all a job.  One of the 800 pound gorillas in the program that we all see and don't like to talk about is that some of those jobs aren't getting done.  Yep, we got a lot of SCs and RCs who hold the title but are having trouble doing the work.  (I am not going to keep going and suggest that we got a lot of Freds who aren't good at Fredding because there are enough folks who like to complain about Fred, me included, that they can post their customary replies below.)

What happens when Yellowhouse gets tired?  When he gets distracted?  What would happen if he ran out of ideas?  Would he sit on his rank like some bloated potentate of some backwater fiefdom?  Is that what he would want, to hold us back in hopes of preserving rank?  No, of course not.  He would look to us to get the job done.  The job done.  If you can recognize that a job is not getting done then it is your job to get in there and lean on the jack.  That is what the rank of Rifleman requires, and we are all Riflemen.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Fred

"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Orangedotfever

Well said. Just don't put me in charge of putting your pants out next time they catch fire.  :))
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Foppish Dandy

Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Barbie

Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

RustyRed

Uncle Davey

I am a IIT 1 and I have never felt like a PFC on Paris Island. Then again I live in Indiana and we have been blessed with great instructors so I'm spoiled! They have prepared us well and I thank all of them!
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Cooper

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

colycat

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

R1SGx2

Nice Post -

Cooks and Rifleman - thats it.

Quotemy pants were on fire and launched my doughnut across the room

Hope things have cooled down, now go pick up that doughnut and get back to work, we got a lot of work to do.... We have a commitment to meet, saving our nation...

Thanx for all you do,,,,

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

GoldFish

Nice post Stud (especially like the dual title); it sums up a number of conversations we've had.   

Work needs to be done, and there are a lot of people in this program who don't enough...or any.  Not singling anyone out, but you know who you are.

Quote from: SPQR on August 10, 2012, 02:21:35 AM
That isn't to say there isn't a Chain of Command. 

"Even the cheerleading squad has a chain of command."

Oh, and for those of you who haven't heard it, Ol' Huffer's "Fred voice" is pretty darn good.  He can do a really good imitation of slim's voice too; when Huff did both of these, he had me and ItsanSKS laughing so hard, we couldn't swallow our pizza.  But I digress.

Get back to work ya'll, so SPQR can get back to his doughnut.

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity