Author Topic: Your vote and ideas wanted for New billboards!  (Read 5834 times)

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor, Central Plains coordinator
  • Master Instructor
  • Willing to go down range
Your vote and ideas wanted for New billboards!
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
Appleseed is ready to start having more billboards through out the country.  One of the ideas the promo team was task with, was to come up with a slogan containing 7 words or less.   Our founder wants to try simple, clean, easy to read billboards that will get people to our web site.

So, for now, think of a 44 ft billboard on the I system.  White background, black letters and maybe the Issac oval on the side.  Simplicity and readability.

I am going to list suggestions below, but, If you have a dynamite idea, please post it.

What we are looking for with this thread, is your pick and THE IMAGE IT IMPARTS IN YOUR MIND. A paragraph or three is all that is needed with your thoughts.  Also, keep in mind it has to get the general public to what to check us out.

SAMPLE Billboard:

...Claim your History...
 Appleseed USA.org

Proposed slogans;

1. Who is John Parker?
2. Bored?
3. Are you a patriot?
4. Can you handle recoil?
5. Need 2A, Got M1
6. Never fear, Appleseed is here
7. Patriots wanted, apply within
8. Got Liberty?
9. Got Marksmanship?
10. Make your legacy
11. Take good care of the children
12. Don't squander your inheritance
13. 8 sets of fathers and sons
14. Shooting expert
15. Marksmanship & Heritage
16. Keeping the Torch and Liberty Lit
17. One if by land, two if by sea
18. Rise to the challenge
19. Shoot today...teach tomorrow
20. "Grandpa, What was it like to be free?"
21. "Let it begin here"
22. Life, Liberty...Shooting expert
23. Life, Liberty, Happiness
24. For your posterity
25. Patriots wanted, apply within
26. History, Heritage, Marksmanship
27. Claim your history
28. Get off the couch
29. Town Borne. Turn Out!
30. No Redcoats!
31. The regulars are out!
32. Don't be a couch potato
33. Be the cat
34. Got a long form?
35. Go Green!
36. How important are you?
37. What are you leaving for your children?
38. Activate your liberty or wake up your liberty
39. Do you make an impact?
40. Save the Country
41. Did you build that?
42. Climate change
43. What happened on April 19, 1775?
44. Save our legacy
45. Heritage
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Offline Ratchett

• designated Shoot Boss
  • RAMSEUR.........8/13!!! Osage Beach ten oh nine
Re: Your vote and ideas wanted for New billboards!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
Unfortunately I must agree with ES. None would grab my attention if I had no previous knowledge of AS.

I think something that needs remembered is that the key phrases like "Got milk?" also had magazine and TV ads to help folks understand the 2 word advertisements on BBs. We do not have that luxury.

In my mind (which I admit can be warped) words like torch would cause me to think Olympics---driving on not interested. The life, liberty, patriot, conjures Tea Party---not a bad thing but still not looking past that to see appleseedusa.org

I apologize to the promo team because I know you guys are working hard, but I just do not get a correlation to AS.

One of our AS families recently traveled out west and saw BB for a restaurant that had eye catching phrases like;

GET SMASHED
potatoes, 5 miles ahead at Joe's Diner

The Get Smashed held your attention until you could read the smaller print. Wish I was able to come up with catchy phrases but not my talent---sorry. In my opinion the phrase has to garner interest long enough for folks to want to read on to the web address.

Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Offline Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »
Don't know about billboards but here is my say'n,

It's an American kind of thing!
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
  • And the band played on.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 03:34:53 PM »
Simple Black on white?  Hmmmm....

Your Rifle, Your History, Your Program
AppleeedUSA.org

Let me see what I can do.

Techres

P.S. If you want less simple (3 color instead of 2), I made this one last night and am running it past my editorial team now:  http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7116/7796931082_8f5715c516_o.jpg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:04:52 PM by techres »
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
  • Don't fiddle while your country burns.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
Our fundamental notion up to now has been "They'll come for the shooting, then we hook 'em with History and Heritage."  We know that works, at least with a certain segment of the population, and we continue to refine the execution.

A lot of these proposals seem to go the opposite way - "Hook 'em with Heritage and they'll come for the shooting."  Do we have any evidence that works?

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »
Our fundamental notion up to now has been "They'll come for the shooting, then we hook 'em with History and Heritage."  We know that works, at least with a certain segment of the population, and we continue to refine the execution.

A lot of these proposals seem to go the opposite way - "Hook 'em with Heritage and they'll come for the shooting."  Do we have any evidence that works?

The tension is between two polar opposite markets:

1. Marketing to rifle people - This is the easier tool and works, but risks being self defeating as we are preaching to the choir to some extent.  In it's simplest form we end up with a 5-15% of the rural American population which is only 15% of the total population and which is already into guns & stuff.

2. Marketing to higher hanging fruit - This is what we have failed to have success with, but has to be the ultimate target as the urban population is nearing 85% of Americans and to have any effect in real terms we have to win the cities.  We, however, do not know how to do this well.  I suspect that it will hinge on a recommendation from a respected/trusted source: social media, internet forum, fellow parent/educator, and so on.  Does a billboard accomplish that?  Dunno, but it is hard.

Now if there is a way to hook the higher fruit with rifle learning....  That would be great.

Oh, and as for history as hook, look at the data from LibrarySeeds.  Are they working at all to get people to events?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:06:33 PM by techres »

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
Oh, and as for history as hook, look at the data from LibrarySeeds.  Are they working at all to get people to events?

FWIW, total mentions of 'library' in Eventbrite data, in any context by shooters YTD:

Offline techres

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 04:27:57 PM »

FWIW, total mentions of 'library' in Eventbrite data, in any context by shooters YTD:

Let's start a different thread on libraryseeds and their effectiveness if we can.

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »
2. Marketing to higher hanging fruit - This is what we have failed to have success with, but has to be the ultimate target as the urban population is nearing 85% of Americans and to have any effect in real terms we have to win the cities.  We, however, do not know how to do this well.  I suspect that it will hinge on a recommendation from a respected/trusted source: social media, internet forum, fellow parent/educator, and so on.  Does a billboard accomplish that?  Dunno, but it is hard.

Totally agreed that's the issue, my previous was mostly a rhetorical question.

But I think your question is about the same:  Just what about a billboard is trusted and respected?  It's about as blunt an instrument as mass media offers.  The only audience qualification is to be driving down a particular road.  If you want brand awareness and can afford to saturate an area, OK.  Or if you have a high volume good/service that requires very little customer qualification:  "99 cents at Taco Bell!" maybe OK also.  How do we fit?

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

Let's start a different thread on libraryseeds and their effectiveness if we can.

Seriously - why should their effectiveness be assessed in terms of turning out shooters?  If the Mission is about awakening Americans, and a LibSeed does that with no bang-bang involved, what's the issue?  But how do we measure that? 

(Mods feel free to move this...  And BTW, is this thread publicly visible?  I just noticed that it's in the "Welcome Center".)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:51:26 PM by Nero »

Offline gonejohnny

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

Offline GEmanuel

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
Ready,
Aim,
Fire!

Learn how and Why

Appleseedinfo.org

Offline Superheat

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
  • Take a stand for freedom
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 05:26:22 PM »
Not to dismiss what you have.. But how about this.

It's YOUR turn to safeguard LIBERTY

or

Celebrate Patriots day attend an Appleseed

I also like what I assume is Swampy's   

Grandpa, what was it like to be free? Makes you think.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:37:21 PM by Superheat »
"If you really want something, you'll find a way.  If you don't, you will find an excuse."
"Heart felt doesn't come from reading words on paper"
"Riflemen don't shrug and walk away... They roll up their sleeves and stand firm."

Offline Superheat

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Don't know about billboards but here is my say'n,

It's an American kind of thing!

I like it two wolves.  O0

I believe what we need to keep in mind is that we are trying to reach a broader audience.  Not gun people.  Americans.  Last year most of the low hanging fruit was harvested.  Now we need soccer moms.
My $.02
"If you really want something, you'll find a way.  If you don't, you will find an excuse."
"Riflemen don't shrug and walk away... They roll up their sleeves and stand firm."

Offline eaglescouter

• Instructor In Training 3
  • Sac Four Ought Nine
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
I'm not a marketing guy, but GoneJohnny's billboard works for me:

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Offline LawDog

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
In GoneJohnny's mock up, I think that "Riflemen" is unnecessary.  The shooting aspect of AS is already covered by "Marksmanship." 

But I like the "Patriots wanted, apply within" idea.  Short and provocative.  Better still, "Patriots Needed, Apply Within."
Or how about, "Got Liberty?  Want to keep it?"

Offline Superheat

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 06:32:20 PM »
Got Liberty?
Appleseedusa.org

Offline Publican

• Instructor In Training 1
  • PREPARE. IMPROVISE. SUCCEED.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 07:00:23 PM »
Will add as they come to me:

April 19th, 1775                                                             

USA - 1   England - 0                                             

AppleseedUSA.org

The
                                                                                                                                            HOW AND WHY
                                                                                                                                          Of Your COUNTRY

AppleseedUSA.org

WHO BUILT THIS COUNTRY?

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

PAUL REVERE HAD FRIENDS

WHO COULD SHOOT

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

PAUL REVERE'S FRIENDS COULD SHOOT

CAN YOU?
                            APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Offline SPQR

• Hot Pants!
  • Inactive Instructor
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »
One of the problems we have had with marketing ourselves is having consistent language.  GoneJohnny's billboard idea represents that to some extent.  That is why i have been encouraging the design team to go with "Appleseed: History heritage Marksmanship" in an effort to unify that somewhat.  This billboard campaign concept is designed around a different line of thinking, though, we were really attempting to pose a question and encourage people to explore the answer with the suggestion that it is Appleseed. 

Offline Publican

• Instructor In Training 1
  • PREPARE. IMPROVISE. SUCCEED.
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 08:10:33 PM »
HOW CAN YOU HELP FIX THE COUNTRY?

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

BEN FRANKLIN

PAUL REVERE

YOU

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

WHY DID "THEY" PEN THE 2ND AMENDMENT?

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THE BRITISH STOLE OUR ARMS?

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG               

LEARN TO SHOOT
               HISTORY CAN BE FUN   
                APPLESEEDUSA.ORG                 

SHOOTING IS FUNDAMENTAL
                                                                                            APPLESEEDUSA.ORG                                                                         

"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Offline AFTERMATH

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
Something along these lines, perhaps?
This wasn't made for this purpose, just something I had on hand - and I have no idea where the drawing came from so....

Variations could be 'Learn to shoot it'  'Learn to shoot'
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Offline Nero

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 09:47:56 PM »
One simple question:  What is the goal of the billboards?

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 10:14:21 PM »
This topic is now, once again in the most public of all forums.

Lets have your ideas on the billboards :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Offline SPQR

• Hot Pants!
  • Inactive Instructor
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »
The goal is to accomplish the Mission.  Here is a deeper explanation of this particular bit of it.

There has to be more than the Face to Face 7th Step.  To this point, all we know that really works is for volunteers to coerce people to come.  All of us, each and everyone one of us, must then openly admit that WE are falling short because our program is not growing.  If we know that 7th Stepping works, and it isn't getting done, whose fault is it?  One reality is that we CAN try new things and take different approaches.

We aren't growing fast enough.  We have some work in the hopper that stands a chance of increasing interest in this program very quickly, but we aren't ready for that.  We aren't.  We don't have logistical structures in place in many states to handle the demands of some areas.  some states have their promotions working alright but don't have a system in place to train instructors.  Some states have that but don't have a promotions structure.  Some SCs have no help and some states have no SC.  WE HAVE TO BE OPEN TO CHANGE.

The thinking behind the billboard concept is coming from a different angle than the norm.  We aren't after gun owners.  This effort is one of many geared towards changing our approach at reaching Americans.  The purpose of this effort is not specifically to increase shooters.  I openly acknowledge that it will probably have no independent affect of that outcome, but that was not the intent.  The greater purpose of the billboard concept is to be part of a campaign designed around getting our name out to a wider variety of people and to start working on their gestalt consciousness.  Simply, we want more people to know our name who have never heard of us.  Through this we hope that our promotional efforts are able to have a cumulative effect and that is what we are after.

The "Where's the Beef?" t-shirts that populated my school in 1986 did not make me run out and buy a Wendy's cheeseburger.  The IPod ads I see have yet to make me purchase an Apple product.  They both, however, make a product stick out in my mind, and that is what we are after.

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:35:19 PM »
Very well said, huff.

Now for some input on the billboards :)

Offline TheEditor

• Shoot Boss
  • Don't just sit there - DO something!
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »
Picture of Uncle Sam, pointing. 

I Want YOU To Save The Country!

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

te
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Offline BeSwift

• AOC Vice Chairman
  • Senior Instructor
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
Assumption 1: We want to wake up sleeping Americans..not just sleeping gun owners (heck we've been trying that for years)

Given the above, any item that folks are going to remember for a couple of seconds, AND have decent odds that it'll inspire them to go to our website to find out what we are about, is a winner. This should be the object of the exercise..name recognition and getting them to check us out..Jumping from seeing a billboard, to landing on the firing line skips a ton of decisions and a ton of other factors that happen in between..

To me, my top seven picks in no particular order are 31 37 39 36 8 20 27  because they strike ME as something that might inspire me to check out who put up the billboard.

Market to gun owners in areas that specifically target them effectively, if you want to fill the target line quickly. Billboards market to everyone and build your brand, your name, and get the word out to those who you can inspire to check us out online...Ideally, this will fill the line with new, inspired Americans in the long term, if our website does its job  My 02.  BeSwift

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »
I like it.  Someone make the poster,  I think it could be great..
Picture of Uncle Sam, pointing. 

I Want YOU To Save The Country!

APPLESEEDUSA.ORG

te

Offline Edheler

• Shoot Boss
  • ubi libertas ibi patria
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 11:17:23 PM »
Moved... by me.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:20:21 PM by Edheler »
"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny." Rev. Nicholas Collin (1745-1831) Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Offline Two Wolves

• AppleCore
  • Fredericksburg 04/19/10
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »
      America needs Americans

Attend an Appleseed of your choice--TODAY
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."