News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Houghton Lake, MI August 11/12, 2012

Started by Superheat, August 07, 2012, 05:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superheat

Anxiously anticipating another great event at Houghton Lake. 

Reserving the address to hand out to the students.

mac66

Let's bump this to the top!

Another great event at the Houghton Lake Sportsman's Club. Great bunch of shooters, no shortage of teachable attitudes this weekend.  Graypiper shot rifleman and as a result, Michigan now has a new orange hat and it's own bagpiper! Thanks for taking a hat Bob.

Look forward to hearing from our attendees.

Edited to add: Hand is good, no stitches. I've cut myself worse shaving. ;)
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Grindstone

Good shoot! Great students!

A few pictures.

Superheat

Wow what a great weekend.  Lots of good history and some good shooting too.  We made a bunch of new friends and saw some old ones. 

The weekend started off with 3.dogs trying to pound rebar with his head.   :slap:  and ended with Mac in a big bandage.  :slap:  Lets hope we never do that again.

In between those BAD events we sure had a blast. 

The left line had Danny and Jacob sniping away.  Yossarian was unbelievable with his tuber. (slurpy straw).  Joe recovered on Sunday after missing a part in his M&P.  Dick and Ben showed rifleman perseverance and never gave up.  Hannah just kept trying and trying, she finally found a WONDERFUL seated position.

Meanwhile on the Right line... Dead eye was just that, no red coats were safe with him around.  Becky showed experience of a returning AS. (it wont be long and she will have that patch)  Graypiper struggled with his red dot and then did a SLAM DUNK with a loaner.  Congrats.  George had a wonderful teachable attitude.  Keep your mat angled!  ~~:)  MissDashot made great strides and never stopped smiling.  Terry had the steady hold factors working, keep working the six steps.  Shnarf ? was first through the gate on the run and gun.  Jake looked like he would be taking a patch home but old Murphy stepped in.  (check your rear sight, it may be loose).  Norm gave all he had and kept smiling.  Sorry we wore you out.  Ormsby thanks for taking the trifolds.  We appreciate the help.

I hope to see all of you on the firing line SOON. 

Remember Posterity is counting on us..

ITB

Ok, can we agree for the next shoot that we leave less blood at the range and not have anyone needing stitches?  Post hammers work better than heads, and wire cutters are safer than knives.  Might want to add that to the instructor meeting notes..... #)

Looks like it was a great shoot.  I had a chance to talk with two attendees - Larry and Jim - and they'll be back, with their sons, and they'll be bringing four new people, too.  Probably to the next Bellevue event.  Great job, guys!
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

Danger

I had a great time at the Houghton Lake Appleseed!  I honed my shooting skills, and made a lot of friends.  A big thank you to all the instructors.  My effective range has definitely increased thanks to your coaching.  Also, a big thanks to Madhatter for dialing in my seated position, and keeping me honest on the Ball and Dummy.  I loved the history lessons too, all the speakers were great.  Mac, you're a natural storyteller.  I look forward to seeing all of you again at future shoots.

As for me, I was a little bummed that I didn't make Rifleman, but I'm looking forward to keep trying until I do.  I'm definitely moving to a scope so I don't have to 'Spray and Pray' at the slow-fire prone targets.  I hope to one day shoot Rifleman at Full-Distance with an M14, my way of paying homage to Fred (thanks for the columns over the years).

Once again, I look forward to seeing all the instructors and shooters again.  Great Appleseed, Superheat!

-Jake
Call me by my middle name

Superheat

Quote from: intheburbs on August 14, 2012, 12:31:30 AM
Might want to add that to the instructor  I had a chance to talk with two attendees - Larry and Jim

My instructor meeting is too long already. I'll have to take something out to put that in.  :)

Larry and Jim were just observers. They promised next time they would shoot.  ~~:)