News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Looking into my 1st center fire rifle

Started by Publican, July 27, 2012, 10:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floydf

OK, if you are going to go 30 cal (and I think 223 AR is a MUCH better alternative for first centerfire (especially if you don't live in a brushy country location where you actually need a rifle to kill things), and would suggest a cheap AR with a good trigger and good iron sites and a truckload of ammo to shoot) then you really should look at the Ruger Scout.

My main rifle.  Easy to handle, shoots like a dream, can easily handle AQTs with the 10rd box mags, and lots of options for sighting.  Works well for south-paws (I shoot lefty), particularly with the forward mounted optics.

The factory iron sights are OK for short range (<150), but you don't want to shoot 400yds slow fire with them.  For that you need optics (just to handle hold-over).

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

wcmartin1

Funny story, and I'm not discounting the Ruger Scout (would like to have one myself), but at one of our shoots in Midland a year or so ago we had very few returning shooters on Sunday as the weather forecast predicted high winds (good old West Texas dust storm) so after some excellent KD/long-range classroom instruction by ASHRN03 in the morning the instructors decided to try some practical long-range skills in the wind on the silhouette range.

The visiting Shoot Boss couldn't seem to dial his Scout in at 500 meters consistently with the 25 mph winds so I decided to show him what I could do with my M1A (not my "Super Match", my worn-out  :cool2: "Loaded" model with +/- 5,000 rounds down the barrel).  On my first shot the elevation was perfect (I know my clicks), but could see the bullet splash slightly right of the silhouette using the estimated windage dope I had put on my sights - took one click off and rang steel 5 times in a row in a "Rifleman's cadence" and hollered "NEXT"

After loaning the SB my rifle (first time he had ever shot an M1A  ???) and using my dope on the sights, I had him ringing steel consistently after a couple of sighters.  After he was done I asked him if he wanted one (an M1A) - the grin on his face said enough.  ;D

Consequently, two more instructors tried out my rifle and all of them were able to ring steel after a few sighters using my initial dope and tweaking it slightly for their eyes/position.

Has anyone ever told you that the skills learned at 25 meters apply to the full distance?

As far as hunting goes - there's no magazine or semi-auto restriction in Texas (praise the Lord) and I used this same rifle several years back to take a buck at ~150 yards (iron sights) so I would be able to say that I had shot something with it other than paper or steel.  After I shot the deer and was waiting for him to bleed out I spotted a coon at about the same distance on his way to the feeder to steal some corn and took him too.

Git-R-Done!  :---

Edited to add - If there's no magazine or semi-auto restriction in your State, the M1 or M1A is absolutely an effective hunting rifle (target detection and range estimation being the biggest challenge).
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

SSG Platz

Ruger Scout is an Awsome rifle, and comes in left handed, which I'd you're left handed I guess you can't beat. I do like Box mags, that's why I went with an M24a2, 10 round box mag. The only issue you will find with a scout is you can't just put any optic on it, you have to get a long eye relief optic. I know us optics makes a good one, but you're talking about money.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Uncle Davey

Go with the Garand, I'll put mine up against any AR. You have a piece of history to boot plus ammo@ .50 a round. Zero it in and tape your come ups on the stock and you got yourself a man's rifle! O0
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Xeyed

Many good suggestions on this thread.

AR in 223
Ruger Scout
Garand
M1a

Even the Mosin Nagant is good choice within it's limits.

Sticking with a common caliber like 30-06 or .308 is wise as you can bolt and semi auto rifles that use the same ammo. Standardizing/simplifying  your ammo will make you life easier.

If you are looking for a good center fire deer rifle check you local gun shops for a used Remington 700 or Savage Model 10 in either 30-06 or .308. They can be found quite reasonable and are good start. Buy lots of ammo and practice. Later on you can add a semi auto in the same caliber.

Or if you enjoy tinkering. You can buy a new Stevens 200 (.308) for $350 and by upgrading  parts build a respectable long range rifle.  Google Stevens 200 project and you will get the idea.

Remember you are buying your first center fire rifle. It probably wont be your last. Choose one, shoot it learn from it and you will have a better idea of your needs for your second rifle.

Enjoy the journey you are about to begin.

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

Uncle Davey

Yeah, go to a few AS and shoot different ones ...then shoot a M-1 and go buy one! Lol, kidding  :DH:
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

Publican

Thanks all for the advice.

Decided on a 30-06, Savage, Accu Trigger/Accu Stock, Model: 16/116 FHSS

Now I guess I just need to find some money  :sos:
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

SSG Platz

Good choice, you can go th the range and the woods with it =^)

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.