News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Self Reliance Expo Arlington, TX July 27-28

Started by Prone to Knit, July 31, 2012, 04:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prone to Knit

On Thursday, some of our instructors (Peter, Meghan, Jim and Kim) were in Cowboy Stadium at the Glenn Beck expo. The Self Reliance Expo had a booth there which featured Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy (one of the major SRE vendors) and Appleseed. We stayed really busy educating people about AS and telling them to come see us at the SRE. The SRE owners, Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy were telling everyone about going to the SRE and to be sure to get to the AS pellet line. They sold a lot of tickets to their event. Through our exposure at that venue, we should see some articles and interviews.

On Friday most of us got to the Self Reliance Expo about 6 AM to set up our booth only to find out that the big bay door that everyone was bringing their product in through was in the middle of our "range." So we got tables set up and then the great Appleseed crew went out and helped other vendors get set up. Aren't Appleseed people the best people in the world?

Once all the vendors got in, our pellet line walls were quickly assembled and were ready just as the doors were opened to attendees. Besides the Colorado people mentioned above, the Texas crew, which was organized and attended by Floyd, were Kirk, Steve, Bill, David, Tim, Janice and Bridgette.

We talked with many people that want to get involved with us, through shoots or showing up at other events with our pellet line.

General Washington was in the booth next to us. He drew quite a bit of attention, which was good for us!

He came to shoot with us.

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Prone to Knit

We had a woman on the line that was shooting for the first time in 50 years. She may show up at a shoot in Castro Valley, California!

We had a young boy named Spencer that was terrified that this was unsafe. His Dad's friend asked me to talk to him. He was sobbing. Promised him he'd be safe. Promised him he'd have the biggest smile on his face when he was done because it was going to be so much fun. Jim worked with him on the line. After the first pellet, he yelled "I think I got it!" and was all smiles and excitement after that. Turning non-shooters into shooters. It's a beautiful thing.

Coach Carter and Dr. Prepper (who has become a real fan of AS and a friend) were two booths down from us.

How was Saturday? It was crazy. Most of the day we could have used more instructors. People were spilling into the aisle all day until about 6 PM. That's when people started leaving for the Glenn Beck event. For the last two hours of the expo we stayed pretty busy with shooters up till closing time.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Prone to Knit

Everyone that shoots on the pellet line takes their Redcoat target with them. The kids are so proud to show them off!

Talked with a man about AS and talked with him again after his kids shot at the pellet line. I said "General Washington is right behind you." He gave me a weird look, whipped around to find George himself. General Washington said to one of his kids "May I swear you in?" The little boy stood with the General towering over him, both with their right hands raised, as he was sworn in to uphold and defend the Constitution. It was one of those WOW moments.

AS also had stage time at the Self Reliance Expo on Friday. We had attendance of about 100 people. An opening, an abbreviated 3 strikes, some DOM/DOW stories and a benediction were done.

A big thanks again goes to the Self Reliance Expo for providing us space to tell our story and promote our mission. Another thanks goes to each and every instructor that sacrificed their time and energy to make this a huge success.

Kim

posterboy

Huzzah ! what a great out reach opportunity ! Thanks from the Buckeye state

pb

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Carlson

O0
What an incredible way to promote Appleseed! 

Prone to Knit

dragit

I believe General Washington's name is Mark Collins, and he is in the movie "Behold a Pale Horse".
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Prone to Knit

dragit, you're correct on that. I believe he said he's been in 5 different movies.

Two Wolves

What was General Washington promoting at the expo? Did he have his own booth?
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

floydf

Quote from: Two Wolves on August 01, 2012, 10:12:36 PM
What was General Washington promoting at the expo? Did he have his own booth?

The Pale Horse video.  They were right next door.  Let me tell you, Heritage is getting Hot!
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

TaosGlock

89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

oladcock

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

TruTenacity

Nice work to all involved both up front and behind the scenes.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

This was a really enjoyable and rewarding event. I want to thank the crew that worked this event, especially our recent DFW IBC classmates.

Friday:

I'll post the ones from Saturday shortly...
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Saturday July 28th...

Bravo Charlie points out the all important safety.

The blonde lady was a shooter at my last College Station, TX event.

Even event staff got some range time in.

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.