News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed - Calverton (Range Damaged?)

Started by LongIslandFirearms, February 22, 2012, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongIslandFirearms

Good day folks,

I received word from a member of my community that there may be damage within the "Appleseed" area at the Calverton range from a recent unsupervised event that occurred the weekend prior. 

In light of the situation (knowing how important both Appleseed and local shooting is) if there is anything you need from Long Island Firearms, please DO NOT hesitate to contact me directly.

I am NOT trying to self spam, but there is a thread within our community as well. Stop by if you have any data/info to pass along.  This news distrubs me to say the least.

Once again, thank you all for your continued efforts to ensure Appleseed STAYS on the Island.

LIF

Josey Wales

..Any specific news on this????????????....    Anyone???????????/
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

VietVet

The target line at Calverton was constructed and paid for by the  RWVA Instructors that regularly staff Calverton. Last Sunday the range owner allowed a group of uninsured, untrained in range safety and mostly unsupervised to use the area we have our events at. Until this Appleseed was the primary user of this particular area. This group from the info I have damaged this site. This now puts us in the position of having to completely reconstruct the Target line prior to our event this Saturday morning.

We will however get it done and our Event will go on as scheduled. I will take this up with the Range owner and see if further issues like this can be avoided.
Again I haven't seen the area myself but this is the info I've received.

I would like to thank Long Island Firearms for the offer to cover the expense for the repairs. LIF has always worked very close with the RWVA to insure the success of our events.

Our Mission will NOT be slowed by this incident.
We will carry on!
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

brogantdb

I read on the Long Island appleseed site that all further events at calverton were cancelled. Is this due to the damage? is this a permanent situation? I hope not!!
"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"~J.R.R. Tolkien

VietVet

Quote from: brogantdb on July 23, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
I read on the Long Island appleseed site that all further events at calverton were cancelled. Is this due to the damage? is this a permanent situation? I hope not!!

All Events at Calverton have been cancelled indefinitely.
The Regular Range Area remains in operation. No damage to it.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

brogantdb

I understand that they have been cancelled. What I want to know was it due to damage and when / if events will begin again? We need appleseed now more than ever and if there is anything we can do to get this up and running again, LET'S DO IT!!
"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend"~J.R.R. Tolkien

brogantdb

CharlieHotel

Not due to damage. We need a new range on Long Island. If you have any influence please help.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Another D.O.M.

Quote from: brogantdb on July 26, 2012, 06:11:50 PMWe need appleseed now more than ever and if there is anything we can do to get this up and running again, LET'S DO IT!!

Appleseed is not about ranges and shooting.  Appleseed is about waking up our neighbors to the fact that America is in a bad way and the only way to fix it is for everyone to lend a hand by becoming aware and involved in the proper management of our nation.  That's the way the Founders envisioned it and that's the only way we can hope to reverse the downward spiral - by ordinary folks taking responsibility for the future of their country and their posterity.  You don't need a range to do this, all you need is a voice and the will to use it.  One minute letters don't require a range; attending local counsel meetings don't require a range; paying attention to what's going on around you and acting when action is necessary don't require a range; and voting - in every election, on every issue and every candidate - don't require a range.
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Josey Wales

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

brogantdb

Quote from: Another D.O.M. on August 01, 2012, 06:04:15 PM
Quote from: brogantdb on July 26, 2012, 06:11:50 PMWe need appleseed now more than ever and if there is anything we can do to get this up and running again, LET'S DO IT!!

Appleseed is not about ranges and shooting.  Appleseed is about waking up our neighbors to the fact that America is in a bad way and the only way to fix it is for everyone to lend a hand by becoming aware and involved in the proper management of our nation.  That's the way the Founders envisioned it and that's the only way we can hope to reverse the downward spiral - by ordinary folks taking responsibility for the future of their country and their posterity.  You don't need a range to do this, all you need is a voice and the will to use it.  One minute letters don't require a range; attending local counsel meetings don't require a range; paying attention to what's going on around you and acting when action is necessary don't require a range; and voting - in every election, on every issue and every candidate - don't require a range.
MJA

I agree that we don't need a range to educate people and if you noticed in my statement / plea I never mentioned shooting. This is what I noticed at the various Appleseed events I have participated in. The shooting aspect draws a group of people to one location. It sets up a scenario where said group, a captive audience if you will, will learn more of a civics lesson in the 2 days then they did most of their life to that date. It also promotes discussions on current events and the state of our nation. An Appleseed event inspires people to take pride in their history and country. They start to remember what it was to be an American. If one takes pride in something be it a car or country, it is more likely that it will be taken care of rather than letting it fall into disrepair. It teaches people that a difficult task can be achieved. And that with a hard work and patience a goal can be met, even under difficult conditions. It teaches personal responsibility. Owning and handling a firearm teaches that one IS responsible for ones actions and that things do have consequences. Everything that happens at an Appleseed event is carried over into everyday life. A sense of accomplishment, perseverance, personal responsibility, and pride in ones history, country and to understand what it is to be Anamerican. This is what folks walk away with when they attend an Appleseed event. Everything you said is important; it does however require a solid foundation to build upon. Do we need a range? No, nevertheless an Appleseed event reaches more people and is a far better way to build such a foundation rather then attempting to, as a single individual with out sounding "Scary" or "Radical", engage people in a discussion of what's wrong with this country. 

So that's why we need Appleseed now more then ever.

sgtrock

Appleseed is not about ranges and shooting

Well if it weren't for the shooting that happens at these events a lot of people would not get the message, I would have not sat down and listen to history,, didn't much care for it at school neither because it was extremely boring and with that mindset/stigma/bias, I would have past it by,, I have been trying to save this country way before Appleseed came into my life, with other avenues of approach, such as the NRA, NYSRPA, SCOPE, GOA, and a few others,,

I have voted in every election since I've been able to vote, I have always tried to get people involved as much as I could,,, Now with Appleseed I have a much bigger area to spread the message with like minded people,,,

So if Rifles and shooting were not involved,,,, this organization would not be here and We'd be at some history social in the basement of a building somewhere, (outta sight, outta mind) This program is out there in full view of everybody.

It's about baiting them in with riflery and springing the trap that's loaded with the history of the start of our country. If you really look close at this program, it is brilliant and we need people who can shoot and teach it just as well. Not everyone will be attracted to the rifle and not everyone will be attracted to the history, If either of them brings them to our shoots we have an opportunity and the obligation to do the best we can in both riflery and history presentations.

Make an impact on them the first time around, you won't always get a second chance, with a lot of people in this country you won"t get a first neither.

sgtrock