News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed record?!!

Started by tarheelsman71, July 30, 2012, 02:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheelsman71

What is the record for the youngest rifleman?  I heard 10 yrs old, but not positive?

SPQR

I have one that is 9, I have an 8 year old in my 4-H club that could do if they were able to get to a Seed before turning 9
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

yellowhousejake

SPQR was giddy like a five year old when he got his patch.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Swamp Thing

I handed out one to a 9 year old also. Not sure how many months into 9 he was though.

ST

Mudcat

9 and 10 here too, both on plain Jane LTRs of mine.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Swamp Thing

One quick caveat here. The 9 year old I mentioned shot the AQT according to Hoyle. All positions, transitions, mag changes, etc..

I'm sure the others mentioned in this thread did it the same way.

We do however, honor juniors who can shoot the rifleman's score off of sandbags or a rest. While being much easier, it's also much safer for very young ones. For example, my daughter can barely hold a Ruger 10/22 in standing position. But she did shoot a 216 off the bags when she was barely 8.

ST

jimmythegeek

I just started my 9 year old at the range yesterday, with a rifle a little too big for him.  Might pick up a CZ Scout for him, might saw a Marlin 795 stock down.  He liked it, but an hour was about his limit.  He is soooo safety conscious that it weighed on him.  He came up with Cooper's #4 (be aware of your target and what lies behind...) on his own.  He also instinctively lifted the muzzle to keep from sweeping a clerk who walked in front of him at the gun counter at a sporting goods store.  He's got a sense of the potential of these things.  Good lad. 

I won't push him to break any records.  He got a few 1.5" bullseyes at 25'.  Total round count under 30, I believe.  I'm going to keep it light, keep it fun, above all keep it safe, but he does want a patch some day!

MK1765

For the kids who shot rifleman at 9 or 10, could someone tell me what they were shooting? Did they use a youth stock and how big are the kids (size wise).  My daughter is 9, barely 50 lbs and can't balance her ruger .22 youth stock rifle in the standing position. She did her first appleseed this weekend and shot a 180 with a bi-pod. She Had so much fun and can't wait to do it again.

oladcock

Quote from: Swamp Thing on July 30, 2012, 11:53:25 PM
One quick caveat here. The 9 year old I mentioned shot the AQT according to Hoyle. All positions, transitions, mag changes, etc..

I'm sure the others mentioned in this thread did it the same way.

We do however, honor juniors who can shoot the rifleman's score off of sandbags or a rest. While being much easier, it's also much safer for very young ones. For example, my daughter can barely hold a Ruger 10/22 in standing position. But she did shoot a 216 off the bags when she was barely 8.

ST

"The 9 year old I mentioned shot the AQT according to Hoyle. All positions, transitions, mag changes, etc.."

I sure hope others are doing it this way and not cutting corners, otherwise it loses it's meaning....O.L.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Johnnyappleseed

We often times encourage our younger shooters to be "designated marksman "  shooting off a rest or sandbag provides them with a no pressure to perform and keeps the line safer .

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Trisha

I've been to one that I believe a 6 year old was shooting and another with a 7 year old.

Mutti

Quote from: MK1765 on September 11, 2012, 04:14:42 PM
For the kids who shot rifleman at 9 or 10, could someone tell me what they were shooting? Did they use a youth stock and how big are the kids (size wise).  My daughter is 9, barely 50 lbs and can't balance her ruger .22 youth stock rifle in the standing position. She did her first appleseed this weekend and shot a 180 with a bi-pod. She Had so much fun and can't wait to do it again.

KD Cat shot her first Rifleman Score at age 10 with the compact Ruger 10/22 (4.5#s). About 61# and about 4' 6" tall. Her first 2 AS'ds were Cricket single shot progressing from bag no transitions to  no bag w/transitions. Once she could break 200 with the Cricket we moved her up to the Compact.

(She chose to do lots of Dry firing to build the stability/sling familiarity - well - we all did  :)    )
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Ratchett

MK1765,

I have a ruger 10/22 set up in a Blackhawk stock, it weighs about 3.5 lbs with most of the weight in the rear verses the front. I use it for all young shooters on the line with good success. It also has the extendable stock so that rifle can grow with the child or be used by an adult if needed.

All youth I know who have received the RM patch have earned it by doing the exact same course of fire an adult follows.

Most youth attending their first Appleseed are quite happy with being a sharpshooter for the weekend and working their way toward the RM patch in steps that they can handle. As with any perishable skills, practice at home is the key!

http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-KNOXX-Axiom-Stock-Ruger/dp/B001Q88SUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347397983&sr=8-1&keywords=blackhawk+axiom+10+22
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

jmdavis

He didn't shoot a rifleman score but the youngest shooter I have seen was Garan Stanford in Eleanor, WV in August 2010. He was four years old. He also had far better gun handling skills than a twelve year old on the same line.

http://wvgazette.com/News/201009040509?page=1
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

RedNekEngr

Litlbit shot a 232 at age nine with a 10/22 compact fitted with a custom youth stock.  She followed the normal course of fire.  She started out the year shooting on sand bags with a Henry single shot and worked her way up.
"If we did all the things that we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." - Thomas Edison
"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."- Ronald Reagan

Sly223

I have had 2, 8 year olds,do well, My youngest were two five year olds my son did four courses of fire and hit the backer at least every time, we also had five year old Olivia sitting on her fathers lap.
Even if they can not do it all we should try to get them to do everything they can,"It is about the children! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

quinreitz

SPQR

In the question of age and size.  The 9 year old who got the patch is a medium to small 9, about 60 to 65 pounds at the time.  He used a regular 10/22 with a scope.  I gave one to a ten year old who shot it with a 597 which is a slightly larger rifle who was a little older but smaller in size.   
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter