News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Starkville MS May 19-20, 2012

Started by oldfudd, May 21, 2012, 03:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfudd

Before I say anything else, let me clearly state that "THE MISSISSIPPI SHOOTERS CLEARLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE ABOUT".

Last weekend's Appleseed hosted by the Starkville Gun Club experienced great facilities and wonderful early summer weather.  We had sunny warm days with a little bit of humidity, cooling breezes and no rain.  Couldn't have been much better.

Now about the shooters.  Based on Saturday morning's Red Coat target, the results were not particularly a feather in anyone's hat (to be generous).  However, things quickly changed for the 9 shooters on the line.  Based on an excellent team of Red and Orange Hats, the marksmanship instruction was quickly absorbed and put to use by all the shooters.  By the close of day we had 2 Riflemen, and AQT scores in the 170+ ranges for most of the other shooters.

Sunday, after the review of safety and marksmanship instruction points, we introduced a Ball and Dummy drill for the returning 6 shooters.  We then began the AQT grind again.  Scores began climbing over the prior day's.  At lunch we heard about Dangerous Old Men and Women, followed by a fun Google Eye target to break the stress and monotony of serious AQT shooting. 

Results of the Goodle Eye were truly outstanding.  Shooting at a 3/8 inch diameter eye glued on to a plastic toy action figure where "head" shots only counted, using 2 rounds in a 15 second time frame at 25 meters resulted in 3 of the 5 participants nailing the eye.  Awesome!  Congratulations to Elizabeth, Carol and David.

We then resumed the AQT grind.  Heat and humidity didn't slow down score growth,  and we gained another 2 Riflemen, giving us a total of 4 for the weekend.  My heartest congratulation to Charles, Daniel, David and Tim for earning the coveted patch.  By the end of the day all of the other shooters were "knocking on the door" and had achieved AQT scores in the 190s.

After we ended the regular Appleseed with the Benediction, Elizabeth, who had been peeking over the transom with AQT scores in the high 190s asked if we'd let her shoot some more AQTs to try to earn her patch.  Unfortunately, after 3 more AQTs the heat, humidity and pressure took its toll, and Elizabeth just hit the wall and we stopped without success.   I will bet anyone that at her next Appleseed, Elizabeth will top 210 in the first or second AQT.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the interest and enthusiasm with which the 3 Strikes, DOM and Benedictions were received by the shooters.   I saw a lot of serious reflection going on while the presentations were being made.

I want to thank my instructor team for all their hard work and dedication.  Thanks Hornet41, WESM, DUHON, Determined451, DeadEyeRed and TomM1Thumb.  This Appleseed wouldn't have been the success it was without you.  I also want to congratulate Haley for taking an Orange Hat.  He immediately jumped in and became a contributing member of this instructor team.

I've been assured by Determined451, who also accepted the honorary title of "Shoot Photographer" that pictures will be posted to this thread in the near future.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

hornet41

This was the second Appleseed for Starkville. I am honored to have been at both and witnessed the great Americans in the Starkville area who came with a teachable attitude and absorbed both the history and marksmanship instruction like sponges!!!! Real troopers here!!
I have to mention Carol, who created groan's from the men when she rested her elbows on the ground in the sitting position!! Her progress over the weekend was nothing short of amazing! There is a patch in her future. Tim finally overcame proper trigger finger placement and went on to get his patch. Elizabeth exhibited grit and persistence that amazed all. She is about to knock the door off it's hinges!!
Daniel(who earned his patch) and son Tray could not return Sunday. Hope to see them again at the next shoot. Charles was a machine on his rifle and consistently shot 4 MOA groups and he earned the coveted patch. David made great progress and was rewarded Sunday with his patch. All the shooters are to be congratulated for sticking it out in the heat and basically making the instructors jobs easy!!
Of course I would be remiss to not mention our intrepid shoot Boss, oldfudd! He kept the whip cracking and the time monkey at bay! He even taught hard headed me a few new things!!!
The instructor group was excellent in providing needed instruction based on individual shooter needs. It was a pleasure to work with each of them. Kudos to determined451 for working with the Starkville gun Club to host Appleseed. I am sure more shoots will be scheduled based on the great success of the first two shoots.
hornet41, AKA 'Mo

Cully42

I can't wait to get my patch this June in Biloxi! Thanks for the awesome weekend, instructors! Appleseed wouldn't exist without you!  ;D

LawDog

Cully42 - that's the spirit!  I will see you there!

wesm

For instructors, sometimes certain Appleseed events are just more fun than others.  Starkville was a real pleasure for me to help instruct on.  We had attentive and very teachable shooters, who learned very quickly and their performance reflected as much.  As far as I could tell, they were just as attentive and seemed to enjoy the history as well.  (It couldn't have hurt that the clubhouse was air conditioned!).

Congrats to Carol, Elizabeth and David for hitting Ol' Googly Eye the dog-kicker, and to our Riflemen Charles, Daniel, David, and Tim.  Carol showed TREMENDOUS improvement, even after cycling through 3 or 4 loaner rifles, and she and Lance will soon be quite the Rifleman/woman pair.  Trey and Scott both showed much improvement throughout Saturday but couldn't return for Sunday.  Charles and Elizabeth consistently shot great groups all weekend.  And Elizabeth and Tim who shot AR15s the whole weekend, showed perseverance and grit.  Out of 9 total shooters, 4 received their patch and the other 5 weren't far off at all.   I would expect all of the others to get it the next time.

Thank you oldfudd for another excellent Appleseed! It is always a pleasure to work with you.  Determined451 is to be commended for making inroads with the Appleseed program in Starkville, and also for his generosity with his camper. Mo, you have come a long way with that red hat since my first Como. DUHON, it was a pleasure meeting you again. You and Mo both really did the history segments justice!   TomM1Thumb and DeadEyeRed, thanks for coming over and pitching in.  Ya'll will make great red hats!  Hope to see everyone again soon on the Appleseed trail...

Wes
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

EEdave86

Hey guys, had fun this weekend.  I learned a ton.  I plan on going to the next one.  I think ill shoot suppressed all day on the next one.  It was also fun just hanging out and talking with you guys.  Hoping to pick up a garand toward July. 

Im more of a pistol shooter, but you guys got me interested in going to the rifle range now.  Im hoping to bring some buddies from work to the next appleseed. 

DUHON

:pics:

"Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about,"   
- Lieutenant-General Hugh Percy, 2nd Duke of Northumberland

What a fitting quote for all of the fine shooters at Starkville. I hope that everyone was able to gain some appreciation of the sacrifices that those brave men, women, and children gave for the cause of liberty. It's in our hands now. Spread the word and 7th step. I'll leave you with another quote.

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
― John Adams

DUHON

wesm

Quote from: DUHON on May 23, 2012, 04:29:16 PM
:pics:

It is my understanding that our official photographer is traveling this week to see his grandson graduating from Basic. Hopefully he will return safely soon, and post some shots of the weekend.
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

cinci92

Sorry for posting so late, but still wanted to extend a big thank you to all the instructors for an outstanding event.  We especially appreciate the patience and helpfullness from everyone.  We hope to see everyone again.  If not in Starkville, perhaps at another event.

Lance and Carol.

Determined451

Guys, Please accept my appoligies for the late pictures.. After returning from Graduation, I lost my camera!!!!

Anyway,  I want to express my appreciation to everyone that helped. 

Enclosed are the pictures
The Second Ammendment--America's Original Homeland Security

Determined451

More Pics

Determined451

And the last ones.  The picture of myself and my Grandson sums up what Appleseed is all about for me George was a city kid with no real firearms training, except limited hunting experience.  He went to An Appleseed in Como with me, and thanks to Dart, Mo, and some others, he got a first hand basic knowlege of which end of the rifle to put where.  Ragged at best, but learned a lot.  In his first letter to me, he told me that if it had not been for that first Appleseed, he would probably not have passed BRT.  He is looking forward to more A/S, and so am I..

This was a special event for me .. A son that went Orange, and getting to work with 2 of the first 4 Red hats in our first IBC was something for me to treasure.

Well Done
D-451
MS-SC

TomM1Thumb

As one of Three Orange Hats this was a Safe Fun Shoot, and being from a Different State, I found Appleseeders are just one Big Family!

Check out the Seated Position! Elbows on the mat!

The Pictures are a little late,
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine