News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Brooklyn, MI July21-22, 2012

Started by ITB, July 20, 2012, 05:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITB

placeholder so I have a URL for my handout
"I will either set my country free, or shed my last drop of blood to make her so." -  Dr. Joseph Warren

" ITB glides through the highways of the Midwest like a Velvet Fog, unfettered by mortal speed limits, leaving only the knowledge of American Heritage and Marksmanship (and a faint whiff of ghost pepper sauce) in his wake." - Oz

CF KD requal - Muenster, TX  11/25/23

wingwrench

Bless you, Thank you to all those who made the weekend work! You helped a 55 year old with an even older pump action rifle learn the skills necessary to shoot a fairly respectable score on an A.Q.T Special thanks to Mac for the broken arrow speed loader for tube feed. Gibson, thank you for working with the granddaughter. Thanks to all for time invested with the son-in-law; you are investing in that thin blue line thing. Again, Bless you, Thank you!! Be Well.

Grindstone

It was a really fun shoot. I enjoyed working will all you guys and gals to see an improvement in your shooting abilities, and to give you a chance to hear the story about the events that started the revolutionary war.

But I  know you all really checked back here to see the pictures...
(Sorry about the poor quality, the battery died on my main camera when I went to take the first picture on Saturday.)

John Singer

To all of you, thank you so much for a fantastic weekend.  My son, son-in-law, nephew, and I learned more about proper rifle shooting in one weekend than we could have possibly learned in a lifetime on our own.

mac66

Can't remember when I last saw such step by step improvements across the board with a bunch of shooters. There were some
close scores, and flashes of brilliance. Wanna know what NPOA is?  Ask Rachel to show you her one hole three shot
group in the the black on stage 4. Wanna see a beautiful, classic pump/slide action 22 expertly wielded by a rifleman in the making, wingwrench/Dave was your guy. Ryan was knocking on the door several times as was John. 

In addition to the above mentioned it was a pleasure to share the line and the weekend with Matt, Gary, Alex, Alanya, Gavin, Kate, Jacob, and Kar.l

Special thanks to Brooklyn Sportsman's Club for their great hospitality. It was our first event at their facility.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

John Singer

mac66, as I was cleaning the rifles last night, I noticed that Alex's borrowed Ruger 10-22 still had the barrel band with the sling swivel attached.  This is the one that you lent him and has your name on it.  I apologize for not catching this sooner.  I would like to return it to you and get the original back so that I can return this rifle to its owner.  Please contact me so that we can facilitate this. 

John Singer
singerjohnw@jccmi.edu

Graywolf

First off, thank you to the Brooklyn Sportsman's Club for hosting this AS.  They went way out of their way to make us feel welcome and at home.

I can't say enough about the teachable attitudes we had in these shooters.  Even those with experience welcomed tips and instruction.   John and Ryan were knocking at the door but just couldn't quite make it.  They will be there soon, I am certain.
Gavin's Mosin Nagant was a joy and he handled it very well.  Kate, Jacob, Gary, Karl, Dave, & Rachael hung in through the heat and the persistence paid off in tighter groups and much better scores.
As far as equipment goes, I don't think I've ever seen such a diverse number of rifles.  It was a real joy to see the variety on the line. 

To all the shooters: Well done!  You've started the journey.  Hope to see you again soon.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

"There ain't no easy horses.  Learn to ride."  S.K.B.

TruePatriot1111

Hello All, its Rachel. Had a lot of fun and learned a ton! Looking forward to the next! :)

wingwrench

One week later... Last Sunday on the way home, my right elbow was quite tender. A look in the rear view (I was riding) mirror showed a hole rubbed in the skin about the size of a quarter with the skin all piled up to one side. How could this have happened??

This evening I got out the bolt action for a little session. My elbow was agreeable with this by now. The time spent last weekend has taken me from quart oil containers -to- the screw on cap from the top for a plinking target. (Havoline jugs have nice size caps!!) A little tweak on the 'scope dialed it in, now that I better understand how to do it properly. Tomorrow it goes in it's little case and back to the iron sights. It was a memorable weekend spent with a bunch of really good folks. The ROC card ensures that I will be back. Shoot safe, shoot often, smile a lot!!

Dave

mac66

Looking forward to coming back to Brooklyn in the near future.

Rachel, get your own rifle together and you will be showing us how it is done.

Dave, glad you are practicing. Are you going to be our first Rifleman from Brooklyn?
I hope so.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

John Singer

Can I still purchase a Rifleman Opportunity Card?  I would like to purchase one each for myself and my son-in-law.  I had no cash left on Sunday of the shoot and I see that Gateway Sportsman Club will be hosting a shoot.

John Singer

wingwrench

The book mentioned at the shoot covering Revolutionary War history; was that "Paul Revere's Ride" offered by Appleseed Store, or is it yet another book? Thanks for clarification!

SteelThunder

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

wingwrench

I take it that "Paul Revere's Ride" is indeed the really good source book for Revolutionary War information, yes??

Pitmaster

Yes, great research and resources.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

colycat

Almost the best part of PR's ride is in the appendix.  Lots of great stuff in there.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

wingwrench

Bless you, Thank you for the heads up! The son-in-law & grand daughter both seem to be interested in history. I might just have to get a copy for them, too... After summer taxes get paid.......

wingwrench

Am curious: as anyone (else) gone on and shot Rifleman from the Brooklyn event yet?? 

Grindstone

wingwrench, I don't know if anyone else from the Brooklyn event has gone on to shoot rifleman. After I did a few of these, it got hard to keep track of where and when I met certain people. We did have a large number of "repeat offenders" come to different events and shoot rifleman over the last year. I noticed there's not a Brooklyn event on the schedule yet for this year. Do you know if the club was willing to host another 'seed?

Why not come hang out on the Michigan Board of this forum?
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=197.0

wingwrench

Grindstone!! So good to hear from you again! I need to track down someone at that club & find out about their intentions. Will spend time in the forum as able; darned inflation is killing us, so work time grows in a futile attempt to get less far behind; (can't seem to keep up, forget get ahead.....). Check out the Bellevue event AAR for March. Look for familiar faces......