News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

we say we love our guns but mainers need to actually learn to shoot

Started by daddyo, June 24, 2008, 03:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyo

for years i grew up with people who tell me what great shots they are but never willing(or able) to prove it.
  i am fed up with my fellow mainiacs desserting their duty to state and nation simply because you have more pressing concerns.
  get your ass in gear! massachusetts has had more success with appleseed than us. are we about to be blindsided by a bunch of flat landers who can't tell a whitetail from a jersey cow?! are we gonna just sit there while the state that banned clearcutting in maine just rushes by us in the one game that we can beat them in?
   we have the land. we have the guns! we have the independent spirit of america pumping through our veins, and i say WE CAN DO THIS, AND WE CAN DO IT BETTER THAN ANY TOURISTS COULD EVER HOPE TO DO!
  c'mon guys and girls of maine. dont just sit in the woods in november with a gun and call yourself a gunrights supporter.
  get the lead out!
republicans think im a conservative, democrats think im a liberal. truth is im neither and i despise both. but let them think what they want.

Nickle

Damn, Maine, I do believe you've just been called onto the carpet.

Hey, you CAN do it, and the Vermonters and Massachussetts folks will help you. Remember, one of those Mass guys (Martlet) is a former Mainer or New Hampshirite.

Find us a range, we'll be there.

Y'all don't want to get beat by South Carolina, now, do you?
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

daddyo

republicans think im a conservative, democrats think im a liberal. truth is im neither and i despise both. but let them think what they want.

Nickle

Quote from: daddyo on June 24, 2008, 03:29:24 PM
aw shucks :-[

Just so's ya know, that wasn't directed at you, but at them lazy bums that need to get off of the couch and get shooting.
They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

daddyo

i guess my call out wasn't loud enough.
  we mainers should be a bit more prickly

B9

Quote from: daddyo on June 25, 2008, 04:47:14 PM
i guess my call out wasn't loud enough.
  we mainers should be a bit more prickly

I took your lead and tried the snippy route. It brought one into the NY workforce.
Try again.

Ed
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

daddyo

all right i know the economy is in the toilet.
i know mainers have been hit harder than some.
but we owe it to our forefathers, nay, to our descendents to pull it together enough to come out for an appleseed.
  if you are reading this post i feel pretty confident about a few things about you.

1) you read shotgun news fairly regularly to the tune of 3.99 an issue or some $30 for a subscription.

2) you have internet access so you either have a nice pc at home and internet service, or you have the gas to get to your local library.

3) you are a mainer and you know how to get things done when they need to get done.

the first 2 are areas where you can skimp yourself for a month or so in order to save your freedom to keep and bear arms, read about keeping and bearing arms, and exercise your freedom of speech.
  but it all comes down to whats important in your life.
  for me its my family, their health and wellbeing, their happiness, and more than anything, their continued freedom.  i find fault with the idea that we must fight to presserve our rights now so our children wont have to. it is wrong. it is the whole reason that the BOR was included in the first place. to give the people the tools to preserve freedom. 
   PRESERVE freedom. not resurect it6 from the dead every couple centuries. i am fighting for my rights now as th state coordinator for appleseed so that my children will not fight an uphill battle as i am.
theirs should be a fight from the parrapets of liberty in a castle that our founders built. we have let that castle deteriorate to the point that our children will be defending a pile of rocks if we do nothing.
  we are mainers we can get things done when we need to get them done. this is something that needs to get done and i need help to do it.
  one idea is to shoot the whole AQT with a .22.  i am actually trying to figure out how we might make that the standard practice at a maine applseed.
another is to split the cost of buying a feww cases of mil surplus ammo with a buddy.
and finally, leave the SUV at home and carpool in the family minivan.
when we get closer to an actuall shoot we can maybe figure out how to coordinate people from accross the state to carpool.
but this is not something that is out of our price range. we just need to rearange for a few weeks.

leave the defense of freedom to those with more time and money to burn. and in time freedom will leave maine.

Nickle

Quoteone idea is to shoot the whole AQT with a .22

We're doing just that in Vermont, and it works.

Yup, Proctor and bennington, we do 25 meters only, as that's all we have at Proctor, and Bennington is also .22 only, to reduce noise.

Guy, daddyo is telling you something here.

Get a range in Maine that will let us hold an Appleseed, and we'll bring the Instructors and Staff to YOU.

Yup, we can import the program into Maine, and with some luck, have you running the program with Mainers soon after.

And, just so you know, that range can be somebody's cow paasture with a good backstop. All you need is a decent backstop, and at least 82 feet of shooting distance. Make sure to have 3 feet or so for every shooter, and you're there.

RWVA will even pick up the tab for the Portolet.

Learn to shoot better for $70 and $25 worth of ammo. Professional Instruction, by a fine lot of felow New Englanders, and an occasional New Yorker.

Can you actually find a BETTER deal than that?

Well, can you?

Come on, guys, help daddyo find a range, and make it happen.

I'd bet you could do it this year, if you really wanted to.

Fred

We have to realize that with only 1000+ members on this site, statistically, prob less than 20 are from or in Maine.

That's a pretty shallow pond to fish in, if I may talk like a mainer... ;D

But, as Nickle says, keep trying - that's the mantra of Appleseed.

You keep trying, because the alternative is - giving up. And that's not what Americans are about.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

dwarven1

Daddyo,

Two things:
1 - I live in MA, and I do know the difference between a whitetail and a Jersey cow. (the cow tastes good, the deer fantastic!)
2 - Fred's comment about fishing in a larger pond just struck a cord with me. We've got a fair number of Mainers on www.northeastshooters.com - maybe you could sign on there and try to start something going. Or you could start leaving free targets at your local range and the local gun shops - get some interest going!

And one more thing - Maine is a beautiful state, and as an IIT, I'd be thrilled to hop on my bike and come up there for a shoot! Hold it and we will come.  :)
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

sandanbob

My nephew and I (both Mainers) attended the Proctor, VT Appleseed in August of 2007.  Hi, Fred, Nickle, and Dwarven1.

I have spoken to a couple ranges, such as Capital City in Augusta, but haven't gotten any bites yet.  I do have a couple more to try.

sandanbob

Dwarven1- when did you finish your instructor program?

Congratulations!

Nickle

Here's your real surprise.

Maine has an IIT!!!!!

SeanO has stepped up to the plate, and is headed down the path. He did 3 Appleseeds this year, Proctor, Winchendon and Middlebury, and went to an IBC last month.

He has found a range in his area (Eastern Maine), and a good friend (and one of my troops) recently moved back to Maine, and he's hooking us up with a place in Durham.

We're planning on Durham for 4/19 next year.

sandanbob

The Old Guide

Nickle said,
"And, just so you know, that range can be somebody's cow paasture with a good backstop. All you need is a decent backstop, and at least 82 feet of shooting distance. Make sure to have 3 feet or so for every shooter, and you're there."

I have 107 acres with parking, a spring fed brook and a steep hill for a back stop. I have a 4WD Kubota with a back hoe. I figure a 25 meter range is just about a slam dunk. There is plenty of room for a few campers on site. There is no privy, but that's a small problem. I hope to have a small range going this year.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

sandanbob

Hi, The Old Guide- can you give me a rough idea where you are in Maine?

I am north of Augusta.

The Old Guide

I'm in Lee; 2 hours north of Augusta on a good day.

My old shooting jacket is too tight. I can get it on, but I can't breathe. Must have shrunk, ;-) I ordered a new one today from Fred's.

Hey, at least I can get it on. At least my son can get into it.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Maine MountainMan

You guys can count me in. I've lived here in Maine all my life, but I haven't been to a A.S. shoot yet.
I thought I'd try to make one of the N.H. shoots. I may be able to pull a few strings at the local "fish+game".
This is right up their alley. Once I prove myself, I'd love to help out!! O0

Dingus

Greetings to all Mainers, especially The Old Guide & Maine Mountain Man.

I see this is an old thread but with some recent action, so the shout-out goes out again to Mainers.  Let's Go! ^:)^

I am an IIT who will be at the Columbia AS April 17-18 assisting Shoot Boss SeanO, and I aim to be a full instructor asap and help get Appleseed in Maine really rolling.  I think the Columbia AS is near full, but stay tuned as I think this year is going to be a good one for Appleseed in Maine.

I know their are some potential riflemen in this state who are fed up with being mere cooks...sign up for a AS in Maine and say goodbye forever to KP duty...

See ya at Columbia!
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are, right now." - Dingus

The Old Guide

We got our camper out and all systems checked. We'll be there Friday afternoon and see if Sean needs any last minute help.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Ratchett

Hi guys!!!

Just a quick note to let you know there is a person from Maine who posted in the Women of Appleseed section interested in going to the shoot this weekend. Her forum name is 'expeditioner' but she gives no email. Maybe one of you kind gents could send her a PM to help get her get going in the right direction. I am linking her to the Maine site.

Thanks---happy 'seeding!

In His Grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Dingus

Thank you for the heads up Nurse R.  I will try to PM her tonight.  I hope she registered already as the event now appears full. Again thanks for the post.

Dingus

Dingus

Quote from: The Old Guide on April 12, 2010, 10:43:23 AM
We got our camper out and all systems checked. We'll be there Friday afternoon and see if Sean needs any last minute help.

Thanks Old Guide.  You and your wife's (and your camper's) presence are and will be greatly appreciated.  O0

Dingus

TOMINCT

Okay folks, October 2&3 at Columbia Falls. Skowhegan is a possible also. Don't let time and your chance slip by.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

Fred

Gosh,TOMINCT, will you give a bit of a "head's up" before you post on this thread?

All those folks in Maine, right here, in Appleseed, on this thread, gently snoring away?

I hope you haven't, with your post, thrown a bomb into the potato salad. **)

OK, Mainers, I see there's a potential DAR in connection with The Old Guide - so can we get an AS a month going - in Maine? (I hope so!)
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

crak

Leave it to Fred to sniff out the DAR...

Guide, is this true?!
Check your drama at the door.

The Old Guide

I just noticed crak's post. I made a 2 position range here at camp. It will be a 3 position range as soon as I cut a couple of trees for firewood. Anybody is welcome go come to camp for practice, but We can't really run a Seed on a 3 position range.

Back at home I hope to get a 10 position range in place. I have a 4WD Kubota with back hoe.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

Boreas

The Old Guide

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012

TOMINCT

Okay, here's another 'bomb in the potato salad' as Fred liked to put it. There is a shoot on at Columbia on April 16-17. Downeast, nice range, possible KD on Sunday. The club has hosted many AS events in the past few years.

We are working on contacts with Skowhegan and a club in Caribou. Firewall99 is working on Scarborough.

Maine is a big state. Some folks in the past have asked 'when is there going to be one near xyz?' This is a tough one.  Unless you have a range, club or a private tract of land that a shoot could be held on it will probably be  awhile before it happens. It takes time and perseverance to get a new venue going. If you have something now is the time to start.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13