News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

FORUM UPGRADE - ANY PROBLEMS?

Started by scuzzy, July 19, 2012, 04:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

I upgraded the forum software last night for bug fixes and security enhancements.

I have had some reports with people having problems such as:

1. When reading posts the posts are in 'reverse order' such that the newest post is at the top of the screen and the oldest is a the bottom. This, to me and others, is annoying. If you have this problem:

Click 'Profile' then 'Look and Layout'
On the page you get make sure that 'Show most recent posts at the top.' is unchecked. Unless that is how you want to posts to be sorted.

If this occurred to you let me know. I might be able to make a mass change if a lot of people are getting this problem.

2. Posting or sending PM - The text entry area doesn't seem to work right. For instance when typing and you get to the end of the line you have to hit enter to start on the next line. This should happen automatically.

This seems to be happening with Firefox version 13. It could however be something I need to fix.

If you are having this problem I need to know:

A. What browser are you using?
B. What version of the browser are you using?
C. What operating system are you using? (Windows XP, 7, Vista, Mac, Linux, etc)

Thanks for bearing with me. I'll get the problems fixed one at a time.

Also if you are having problems please try to get in to my test system here and see if you are getting the same results. It is test so nothing posted/PMd get in to our live forum here. The same id/password is used in the test system.

http://appleseednewsbrief.org/smf/

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Edheler

The text box for replies is too wide for the space used. The corner control for resizing it is always off-screen so there is no workaround. This is true at least for Safari 5.1.7 on Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Edheler

This is not a problem for Chrome 16.0.912.63 on Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Nero

Quote2. Posting or sending PM - The text entry area doesn't seem to work right. For instance when typing and you get to the end of the line you have to hit enter to start on the next line. This should happen automatically.

That's not quite right.  As far as I can tell, the text box wraps the text normally.  It's just that it extends off the right side of the central column, and you can't
see what you are doing, so hitting enter is necessary to start a new paragraph and be able to see things again.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Quote from: Edheler on July 19, 2012, 04:33:18 PM
The text box for replies is too wide for the space used. The corner control for resizing it is always off-screen so there is no workaround. This is true at least for Safari 5.1.7 on Mac OS X 10.7.4.

Interesting.  It's working properly with Safari 5.1.7 on Mac OS 10.6.8.  But is bogus, just as you describe, with FF 13.0.1 on the same OS.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Fred

Quote from: Nero on July 19, 2012, 04:35:19 PM
Quote2. Posting or sending PM - The text entry area doesn't seem to work right. For instance when typing and you get to the end of the line you have to hit enter to start on the next line. This should happen automatically.

That's not quite right.  As far as I can tell, the text box wraps the text normally.  It's just that it extends off the right side of the central column, and you can't
see what you are doing, so hitting enter is necessary to start a new paragraph and be able to see things again.

Ditto, using the latest version of Firefox on a Dell...
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

scuzzy

If any of you guys knows how to clear your browser cache please do that, restart, and let me know if that helps. If so I'll create a little howto on clearing the cache. This one is tough. Some people are getting this and others aren't. It's working fine for me.

Edheler

That's very interesting -- clearing my cache worked. I would not have expected that.

Thanks!

Nero

I cleared the cache, and when I restarted FF auto-updated to Version 14.  One or the other of those did the trick.

scuzzy

Here is a howto for clearing your cache using Firefox. I tried to put together a howto for IE but forget that. If you're using IE please get FF since IE is a big time security risk and there was not a good way to clear your cache without also blasting away your saved id/passwords.

If there are any IE people that could do a howto please do so. I don't know IE too well so there might be a way to clear the cache without blowing everything else away.

Anyhow see attached. If you follow the guide you will also make it so you can't be tracked and traced as readily.

Andre

Thanks for the info.

Vista Home Premium/Firefox 11.0

FF 11.0 has a different toolbar/menu than the one you worked from, but clearing the cache solved the problem.

:),
Andre

scuzzy

Quote from: Andre on July 19, 2012, 08:19:57 PM
Thanks for the info.

Vista Home Premium/Firefox 11.0

FF 11.0 has a different toolbar/menu than the one you worked from, but clearing the cache solved the problem.

:) ,
Andre

Thanks for the report. I'd been pulling my hair out all afternoon till I came across this solution.

techres

I had to reset my PM settings.  Most importantly, I had the auto-keep for outgoing messages selected.  I just discovered that I had to select it again since the upgrade.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

AFTERMATH

Google Chrome v. 20.0.1132.57 m Windows Vista Home Premium

So far, I too, have the text-wrap issue - the text box doesn't resize either.  Also, the reply button looks a bit funny.  I'll update this when/if I encounter more issues.
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

scuzzy

Quote from: techres on July 19, 2012, 08:35:45 PM
I had to reset my PM settings.  Most importantly, I had the auto-keep for outgoing messages selected.  I just discovered that I had to select it again since the upgrade.

The upgrade reset a number of setting. No easy way around it. However at least the source code is absolutely clean. I know it's a pain in the wazoo but my next project depends upon a number of the profile settings. I did do away with extra Themes in order to make things easier. Less crud to contend with. That and only 20 out of 10,000 people were using custom themes. Yeah, it's been fun.

mal

Quote from: scuzzy on July 19, 2012, 04:27:52 PM
2. Posting or sending PM - The text entry area doesn't seem to work right. For instance when typing and you get to the end of the line you have to hit enter to start on the next line. This should happen automatically.

This seems to be happening with Firefox version 13. It could however be something I need to fix.
If you are having this problem I need to know:

Had this issue on Firefox v14.0.1 on a W7 system.  Clearing cash resolved it.
~Malcontent

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."
~ John Adams

Evenstar

Scuzzy, for what it's worth, I've had no problems with the upgrade on SeaMonkey. The only thing I had to do was reset my PM's to put the newest on the first page. I didn't have the problem with the PM text box.

Thanks for all you do!
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Unbridled Liberty

Using Chrome and having issues with PM's.  When I send a message I get a green "message sent" response, but they don't show up in my sent folder.  Also, the text wrap does not work in the message window. 

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

George Hacker

Quote from: Unbridled Liberty on July 19, 2012, 09:00:21 PM
Using Chrome and having issues with PM's.  When I send a message I get a green "message sent" response, but they don't show up in my sent folder.  Also, the text wrap does not work in the message window. 

UL
Clear your cache to solve the wrap issue.

Go to your preferences and recheck the "copy yourself" button for PMs.  Preferences were lost when the upgrade happened.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

techres

I am loving the PM preference to see new messages on top rather than scrolling down to see them.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

colycat

Quote from: techres on July 19, 2012, 10:08:57 PM
I am loving the PM preference to see new messages on top rather than scrolling down to see them.

That is crazy because it is a setting that you do.  I have always had the latest on top, but this morn, they were at the bottom $$-0
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Castle Mountain

Unable to post any graphic period. I am using SAFARI 5.1.7 on my Mac

No promotion of the radio blog program for Saturday morning since the graphic cannot be uploaded for each state. Oh well. :-[

CM

Quote from: colycat on July 19, 2012, 10:28:39 PM

That is crazy because it is a setting that you do.  I have always had the latest on top, but this morn, they were at the bottom $$-0
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Instructor Scheduling

Grrrr...Argggg....the 'reply' and 'quote' buttons are switched!  &)

I'm sure I'll get used to it, eventually. But tonight it took me FOREVER to finish the instructor schedule because I kept hitting the wrong button. :wb:

IS / Miki

Castle Mountain

Now we get     .....Your attachment has failed security checks and cannot be uploaded. Please consult the forum administrator.

This is humbug!!!! :DH:
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

TruTenacity

I can't log in with Chrome, but I can with Firefox. 
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

scuzzy

Quote from: TruTenacity on July 20, 2012, 02:52:21 AM
I can't log in with Chrome, but I can with Firefox.

Just downloaded chrome. Using it to post this.

Seems most of the problems, not all but most, have been related to browsers aggressively 'caching' stuff. Try to click on 'Settings' which is the wrench looking deal on the top right. Then click History then 'Clear all browsing data.' Hope that will help. If not are there any error messages? What occurs precisely when you try and log in?

GoldFish

Quote from: colycat on July 19, 2012, 10:28:39 PM

Ditto, Coly, I've had my new ones at the top all along, and this morning it was like, "Who screwed with my messages? !@#)  Oh, just scuzzy?  OK, we're good. :)"

Having no problems so far with FireFox/Windows 7.  Thanks Scuzzy!

"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

Mudcat

The reply box does not wrap around and the same PM deal as Colycat.  Otherwise seems ok, Firefox newest version.
Would still love to see Tapatalk enabled though. Most of my browsing is done on my phone and it is so much easier to navigate. I have to force myself to visit here with my phone. :wb:
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

eaglescouter

I'm having the PM's listed out of order.

I selected the sort triangle to put the new ones at the top, but get unexpected results.

Either my oldest messages are on page one
Or my newest messages are on page one with the newest at the bottom instead of at the top...
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

scuzzy

Quote from: eaglescouter on July 20, 2012, 11:21:05 AM
I'm having the PM's listed out of order.

I selected the sort triangle to put the new ones at the top, but get unexpected results.

Either my oldest messages are on page one
Or my newest messages are on page one with the newest at the bottom instead of at the top...

Looking at that right now. There is a system wide setting I could change but right now I'm wondering if that will cause more grief than it solves. You can go to your profile settings and do this:

1. When reading posts the posts are in 'reverse order' such that the newest post is at the top of the screen and the oldest is a the bottom. This, to me and others, is annoying. If you have this problem:

Click 'Profile' then 'Look and Layout'
On the page you get make sure that 'Show most recent posts at the top.' is unchecked. Unless that is how you want to posts to be sorted. The also evidently applies to PMs. Not sure why some people are getting this and others aren't I didn't have a problem with the default settings. Kind of a mystery to me right now.