News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, July 14-15, 2012

Started by Reformed Redneck, July 16, 2012, 11:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reformed Redneck

Coeur d'Alene was unusually wet, but warm, for this time of year. We had showers off and on throughout Saturday, and some rain that gave way to sunnier skies on Sunday around noon. There were a total of 29 shooters who turned out for the two days of marksmanship instruction and American heritage history.

We ended up with 2 new riflemen and one repeat. Congratulations to Tim and Thijs on their new Rifleman patches. Congratulations also to Bill on some more Rifleman scores and appreciation for his continued support and 7th stepping.

By the end of the event, everyone had made some incremental progress. Some made substantial improvement in their skills. For those who are so obviously close to the Rifleman patch, be consistent in your practice and continue to apply what you have learned. You will achieve success. For those who perhaps have further to go, apply the same kind of persistence. It will all come together for you also.

So, I'll step aside for the comments and photos that others have for this shoot. Pictures, as the saying goes, are worth a thousand words.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

TruTenacity

Fernan Rod & Gun Club hosted another great Appleseed event.

Various incremental improvement was made by all.

A few women will be coming back to the Ladyseed being held in October.

The group of Boy Scouts will return in September with many more in tow.

Grandparents enjoyed shooting with their grandson, Thijs, on Saturday and returned on Sunday to listen to more heritage.

Lexi, a young 11 year old who had never squeezed a rifle trigger, have very supportive parents.  They took turns bringing her to the event.  Giving her peppermints to shoot was the ticket.  She ended the weekend shooting a few 2 minute of angle groups!

Grandmother, Mom and Grandsons, three generations, were on the line together.

We have a new youth instructor with another Montana youth instructor in the making to donn the hat soon and yet a another aspiring rifleman and future instructor, Eric, ready to step up to provide his professional photography services for both national and regional promotional efforts as well as give our resident budding photographer some tips of the trade.

Will there be pictures of the event posted?  View the pictures below to see what evenstar had the privilege to use via BrassieLassie's generous offer ... I guarantee there will be pictures posted soon.

Lexi:
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

colycat

Pictures look good already.  Notice the off hand form of ES.  Support elbow directly under the camera, chicken wing, and a c shaped trigger finger.

Can't wait to see the results ^-^
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Roland

Another great shoot in the books at FRGC.

Wet, but hey, it can't ever be as bad as Columbia Falls, right? And it cleared off most of the time anyhow.

Attentive shooters to both our instruction and our history. This attention paid off for two new riflemen, and will serve many others well at future shoots.

Congratulations to both our new riflemen.

Tim, thanks for crossing the Atlantic (again!) to become a rifleman. Remember, the French were on our side during the American War for Independence!

Thijs, my friend, good to see you back again. And, that makes 9 (I counted) rifleman with my rifle. Is that a record? Keep shooting your funky tactical stance in standing.

Bill, our multiple repeat rifleman, I look forward to the day when you catch me in score, because that'll give me an excuse to get back on the line.

Erik P., thanks for being the second of your family to pick up an orange hat. I look forward to working with you in the future.

Pro Liberate, always a pleasure. Sorry I couldn't give you any more tips to get you to 210. You will make it though.

T.P. and Steve, thanks for answering my SOS and making the trip over. We would've been hard pressed without your much-appreciated help.\

Poison Ivy, good luck in a couple of weeks. You'll get there, I have no doubt.

To the Scouts, great job by all, even with your old rifles. Look forward to seeing you guys again.

John, good working with you on Saturday, and hope to see you back at a two-day soon.

Think that's all i have for now. Potentially more to come, but in the meantime, I finally have a chance to use the incredibly annoying new emoticon!
:pics:

Later,

Dirk/Roland

The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

American Shooter

Hey Dirk, its nice to be back at the appleseed shoot and I am glad I could uphold your guns record of having 9 people become Riflemen with it! I would also like to thank all the instructors for all the hard work and dedication of teaching this important information of our countries marksmanship background.  "Keep the rounds flying true for our freedom depends on it"

Evenstar

First, I'd like to thank FRGC for hosting yet another Appleseed, and all who came out to learn about marksmanship and their Heritage. Obviously, we couldn't do any of this without you all, so thanks!

The hundreds of pictures have been gone through, and I'm ready to show you all how this event looked through my eyes. Enjoy, and feel free to take the ones you want. By the way, Coly, with a camera like that, the steady hold factors are very important; it's not light! I was pretty spoiled with the opportunity to use it. Thanks, Gina! ^:)^

Note: I apologize if any of these come through a little grainy. I can't post the high rez. files, otherwise it would take forever to load this thread. ;)

Most of the group Saturday morning

Still Learnin'. Unfortunately, he fell sick and was only able to work the line half of Saturday.

Stapling up the first target!

One of the boy scouts

Shoot boss

Tim, visiting straight from France, and Alex, are back for more! :)

Erik

Tim

Smiles already!

The boy scouts' end of the line

Time to learn the steady hold factors for a solid prone position

Thijs (center) and his grandparents (left of frame)

Evenstar and Still Learnin' teaching Natural Point of Aim (photo credit: TruT)

Birch is back to chase that patch

"Shooters! Your preparation period begins now!"

Roland coaches Jim

Lexi during carding the sights

TruT teaches Inches, Minutes, and Clicks.

BrassieLassie explains the Six Steps (photo credit: TruT)

Father and son

Karie

Jean

Nicholai

Lexi and her mum

Listening to some history during lunch

Instruction on seated positions (photo credit: TruT)

Erik's 'frog position' **)

Randy

Husband and wife

I met Tim at an Appleseed shoot last year when he first visited from France. This year, he takes a piece of America with him as he goes home a proud Rifleman!

John, I didn't get the chance to work with you much, but thanks for coming out! Hope to see you back.

Travis

Instruction on standing

James

Father and son

Monica's first shot with an AR!

Bill

Erik, Tim, and Alex

Working on standing

Watching their grandson shoot

I had the privilege of working quite a bit with Lexi over the course of the weekend. She had never shot a rifle before. I can safely say that in the 3 years I've been with Appleseed, I've never seen so much improvement in one person throughout a weekend! Lexi went from scattered shots on paper on Saturday morning to shooting some 2 MOA groups by the end of Sunday (not to mention her spectacular Sunday evening redcoat target). Lexi, I'm looking forward to seeing you again soon! ^:)^

Little bit of a downpour

OK, there are some of my Saturday pictures. Sunday pictures coming soon, along with a link to the album.
'Pictures... or it didn't happen!' &)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity.

"All we must decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

"She is worth the wait. When she lifts her head - she smiles!" - Earl

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11
Medical Lake, WA - July 31, 2011

Evenstar

We had a couple 'boarder raiders' from Montana come help us run the shoot on Sunday (thanks so much guys!). Ivy is so close to getting that coveted Rifleman patch, and then she will join her dad and brother as an instructor!

Thijs has a solid prone

These two young guys coached each other in the ball and dummy drill

Randy and Eric doing ball and dummy. By the way, Eric, I am really looking forward to seeing a pro in action with a camera this weekend!

Nice looking groups there, Poison Ivy. :)

Listening

Another shot of the boy scouts. They were super polite and listened well. OK, well, and being called Miss Heather all weekend by them was pretty cool too. :cool2:

Steve from MT. It's always great to meet and work with other instructors in the area. You guys are welcome any time!

Convenient place for a name tag in every position save sitting. O0

Pink!

Great kneeling form

Travis shoots centerfire!

Lexi gets her dad to shoot a square. The only thing he forgot was the sling.

Eric safes his rifle

Half of the long line of safe rifles.

Listening to KD instruction

Rain on the rifles (but NOT anywhere close to Columbia Falls) ;D

T.P.'s brass stacking art.

More of Sunday's line

Alex, you are painfully close to that score. Keep it up; you'll make it. Just relax and take the time to verify your NPOA especially on the fast stages.

Birch looks relaxed! Or tired... :)

Blain (aka T.P.) Great working with you!

Bill is a repeat Rifleman!

Congratulations, Thijs! HUZZAH!

10 youth received their junior patriot patches. This was the best shot I could get under the circumstances.

Erik, congratulations and thank you for taking up the orange hat! Welcome to the Instructor Corps. O0

"Warriors are not always the fastest or strongest men. Strength and speed can be developed through training. Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or holds sacred."

Arwen, Shorty, Blondy, Star, Trouble, Smiley, Miss Jess Adair, Starry, Kitten, Blue Eyes, Even Shorter, Elfy, Butterfly Girl, Tater Jr., Princess Tater, Tater Tot, Tiny Tater, Twinkletoes, Skippy

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

Pro Libertate

Another successful Appleseed!  I had such a blast, and -judging by the perpetual smiles on the faces of others- I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

The pictures look great, Heather!  I'm really looking forward to photographing Saturday's shoot, and I'm pleased to hear the event's sold out.

I hope you know how appreciative I am of you taking me under your wing, Dirk.  Your continued help and guidance is largely to thank for my improvement.  You guys are the greatest!
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  -President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Pro Libertate

Whoops!  Correction-- I'll be at Sunday's shoot.  I'm photographing a wedding on Saturday.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.  We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream.  It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."  -President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Evenstar

Quote from: Pro Libertate on July 19, 2012, 12:54:26 AM
The pictures look great, Heather!

Thanks, Eric! It was neat to be able to work with a camera like that whilst figuring it out on the fly. We'll see you Sunday!

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11

BrassyLassie

What a fantastic shoot!  I love to see multiple generations, ladies and young'uns out on the line.  It's always a blessing to see a shooter progress from never-ever-shot-a-rifle to a darn nice group, and we had a number of those.  Way to persevere through rain and shine, AQT after AQT.

Ivy, I look forward to hearing that you soon score that patch and don the orange hat, you are SO close! ;D

Lexi, you did so well!  I love that you shared your weekend with your mom and dad, and got private shooting time with each.  I look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Timothee, my French son, I knew you had it in you!  Congratulations, hang or wear that patch proudly  ^:)^

Eric, my biological son, I'm so proud of you for taking the orange hat.  Work hard at learning all you can, you are going to be a GREAT instructor.

Alex, my other biological son, UGH!  You get the record for skimming oh so close, but no cigar!  HANG IN THERE, you will soon be a Rifleman!

Boy Scouts and Monica, so great to have you on the line.  Great listening and application of all you learned.  You all win the record for most challenging rifles.  So fun to see those bolt-actions fly  ;D Looking forward to seeing you all again, and soon!

Brother_COM

Tell you what!... THAT looked like a GREAT group of Americans! Great reports too! While some brain-dead souls are going to movie theaters and massacring Americans, Project Appleseed uses History and Marksmanship to try and rebuild the good ole' USA!!! Fred's cause is a noble cause. He constantly calls it: Saving the Ship. and these days that's EXACTLY what America needs. We'z a sinking: FAST!

Thanks for the great report and pictures.
Glen
Brother_COM

Poison Ivy

Here are my pictures - sorry it took so long.

Quote from: Roland on July 16, 2012, 07:50:46 PM

Poison Ivy, good luck in a couple of weeks. You'll get there, I have no doubt

Roland and BrassyLassie, I did get there last AQT at C. falls and got a score of 238 with the help of Persistent_1 and his rifle. Then picked up a orange hat. Thank you for all encouragement it really helped.  - Ivy
Daughter of the amazing Macgyver.
Sister of the awesome T.P.
Lover of pretty and fast cars.

"Remember, remember
The fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I know of no reason
Why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."- V

George Hacker

Quote from: Poison Ivy on July 30, 2012, 02:18:24 PM
Roland and BrassyLassie, I did get there last AQT at C. falls and got a score of 238 with the help of Persistent_1 and his rifle. Then picked up a orange hat. Thank you for all encouragement it really helped.  - Ivy
Wow, 238!  Well done, Poison Ivy, and thank you for taking an orange hat. O0 ^:)^

Project Appleseed could use a lot more junior instructors who "know what they are about."

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Evenstar

Congratulations, Ivy!!!! Super excited to have you as a part of our region's instructor corps. ^:)^

Coeur d'Alene 8/10!
Waterman 300 9/11/10
Deary 3/11!
Bickleton 100 4/9/11