News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

First Aid on the Line

Started by Barbie, July 07, 2012, 06:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbie

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! These super high temperatures have been on all our minds, but with such a mild winter, the bees are out in full force this summer (at least where I live).  And also, due to some recent run ins with the lil' buggers myself, thought I'd post this info on here for any instructors who may (let's hope not) run into an unfortunate situation of a shooter getting stung (who's allergic):

Insect Sting Allergy Treatment
Call 911 if the person has:
Trouble breathing
Feelings of faintness or dizziness
Hives
A swollen tongue
A history of severe allergy reaction to insect stings

If the person does not have severe allergy symptoms:
1. Remove the Stinger
Scrape the area with a fingernail or use tweezers to remove it.
Don't pinch the stinger -- that can inject more venom.

2. Control Swelling
Ice the area.
If you were stung on your arm or leg, elevate it.
Remove any tight-fitting jewelry from the area of the sting. As it swells, rings or bracelets might become hard to get off.

3. Treat Symptoms
For pain, take an over-the-counter painkiller like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Do not give aspirin to anyone under age 18.
For itchiness, take an antihistamine. You can also apply a mixture of baking soda and water or calamine lotion.

4. Follow-Up
It might take 2-5 days for the area to heal. Keep it clean to prevent infection.

If the person does have severe allergy symptoms (anaphylaxis):
1. Call 911
Seek emergency care if the person has these symptoms or a history of severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), even if there are no symptoms:

Difficulty breathing or wheezing
Tightness in the throat or a feeling that the airways are closing
Hoarseness or trouble speaking
Nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
Fast heartbeat or pulse
Skin that itches, tingles, swells, or turns red
Anxiety or dizziness
Loss of consciousness

2. Inject Epinephrine Immediately
If the person has an anaphylaxis action plan from a doctor for injecting epinephrine and other emergency measures, follow it. Otherwise, if the person carries an epinephrine shot or one is available:

Inject epinephrine if the person is unable to.
If the person has a history of anaphylaxis, don't wait for signs of a severe reaction to inject epinephrine.
Read and follow patient instructions carefully.
Inject epinephrine into outer muscle of the thigh. Avoid injecting into a vein or buttock muscles.
Do not inject medicine into hands or feet, which can cause tissue damage. If this happens, notify emergency room staff.
The person may need more than one injection if there's no improvement after the first. For an adult, inject again after 10 to 20 minutes. For a child, inject again after 5 to 30 minutes.

3. Do CPR if the Person Stops Breathing
For a child, start CPR for children
For an adult, start adult CPR.

4. Follow Up
Make sure that someone stays with the person for 24 hours after anaphylaxis in case of another attack.
Report the reaction to the person's doctor.

http://firstaid.webmd.com/allergy-insect-sting-treatment
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

mj52

If you need to call 911

If possible send  several people out to meet the ambulance.

By meet I mean simply direct them where to go. No talking JUST POINTING. If they have a question let them  (EMTs) ask it.

The reason I say several is because there may be turns involved since a range can sometimes be large and there may be several ranges on the same property.

So some one at main gate, a second at next turn, a third waiting for emts at location to bring to victim. Let the EMTs lead, if they have a question they will ask it.

You get the idea.

BeSwift

I carry EpiPens in my first aid kit. Rotate yearly or at sign of discoloration. Important to have..
BeSwift
"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well"
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness =  Reality - Expectations

AuntieBellum

Thanks for the info, Barbie.  It's always good to be as prepared as possible.

I will caution everyone, though, that most Shoot Bosses do not carry EpiPens (at least none that I work with frequently).  I wouldn't know what to do with one if I had it.  As a shooter, it's best that you bring what you need.  If you know you're allergic to bees and plan on spending a weekend outside in the summer, it's best you bring an EpiPen with you.  If you have asthma, bring your inhaler.  Etc.  I'm prepared to handle small issues - brass burns, cuts and scrapes, etc - but if you have a specific medical need, bring your meds with you.  We hope you won't need it, but ranges are often off the beaten path and it may take a little longer than you're used to to get to emergency care.   O0
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

yellowhousejake

The purchase of an EpiPen requires a Doctor's Prescription, at least in the state of Indiana. I would strongly caution against any Appleseed instructor dispensing controlled medications. If the student requires an EpiPen to be administered, it is highly likely that they have a pen available, and you are already aware of it.

If you want to be prepared beyond the common band aid, please contact RedNeckMedic and get signed up for one of his classes. The cost is trivial to Appleseed staff and the knowledge gained from a working EMT and licensed trainer is invaluable.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Elbows.  I always warn about the elbows, especially on the black padded midway mats. 

But even with that, this last shoot had a bunch of attendee pictures of elbows getting hurt:

http://ingunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/221068-aar_morgantown_in_appleseed_6_23_24_12_epic_pics_vids.html

Next time I think I will just tell people to flip the mats over.  Oh, and the worst injuries are often with the most hardcore shooters - they just "force of will" their way through it (an into a mess).
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

dond

I always bring half a dozen pairs of elbow pads to loan out, and caution the shooters about this. However, only rarely does anyone borrow the pads.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

slim

Is there a tentative schedule for another First Aid class? I missed out on the last one and I'd really like to be at the next one.

2 clicks low

Quote from: slim on July 09, 2012, 01:08:23 AM
Is there a tentative schedule for another First Aid class? I missed out on the last one and I'd really like to be at the next one.

ME TOO.
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

SPQR

I will look into it, talk to YHJ, and see what we can put together.  It would probably be late October.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Miller

If RedNeckMedic makes with the knowledge again please let me know.
Davenport to Indy is no farther than I've driven to work shoots.
Give me a chance to eat at Yats again too!
Fearful but resolute.

Barbie

Quote from: Miller on July 17, 2012, 09:53:09 PM
If RedNeckMedic makes with the knowledge again please let me know.
Davenport to Indy is no farther than I've driven to work shoots.
Give me a chance to eat at Yats again too!

I love Yats!  I see a pre-first aid training lunch at Yats in the future  ::)
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Miller

Quote from: Barbie on July 18, 2012, 09:46:33 PM

I love Yats!  I see a pre-first aid training lunch at Yats in the future  ::)

I've gotten to eat there once, years ago, when I was in town for a buddy's bachelor party at the F1 race.

That place has been stuck in my brain ever since.
Fearful but resolute.