News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to the California Board - Check-in

Started by bob 210, June 23, 2008, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglescouter

Appleseed events are 2 full days, the Redding ranges have limited hours that would not permit us to teach the full program, or are on public land which does not give us full control of a designated safe shooting area.

joe

Quote from: bryanrheem on December 11, 2019, 02:47:14 AM
Hi Joe!

Great to meet you!  Definitely want to get involved with Appleseed, especially if it's as close as RedBluff!!  Why not have one in Redding?

Looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks,
Bryan

Quote from: eaglescouter on December 11, 2019, 12:38:41 AM
Hi Bryan, and welcome to Appleseed.

I'm also in Redding.

The 2020 event schedule is not yet published but will be online in January.

We operate Appleseeds at Sacramento, Red Bluff and Hat Creek.

I look forward to seeing you on the line.

joe
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

bryanrheem

Quote from: eaglescouter on December 11, 2019, 10:38:10 AM
Appleseed events are 2 full days, the Redding ranges have limited hours that would not permit us to teach the full program, or are on public land which does not give us full control of a designated safe shooting area.

joe

Joe, makes sense.  Are you a member of the Redding Gun Club?  They seem to have enough bays that might allow us to rent one for a couple of days. 

Regardless, Red Bluff is close enough to not worry about it! 

Thanks,
Bryan

eaglescouter

I have been a member of that club, but I am not currently a member.

Their hours of operation for Rifles are:
Sat: 9:00AM to Dusk
Sun: 3:30PM to Dusk

Appleseed events in Northern California are two full days of 8:30 to 4:30 in Sacramento, and 8:30 to 5pm elsewhere.   The Redding Gun Club is a fine facility, but the 3:30 PM start time for Sunday is not really feasible for our program.

Fortunately we have other venues within one hour that work better for our schedule and program.

joe

Quote from: bryanrheem on December 15, 2019, 02:53:40 AM
Quote from: eaglescouter on December 11, 2019, 10:38:10 AM

joe

Joe, makes sense.  Are you a member of the Redding Gun Club?  They seem to have enough bays that might allow us to rent one for a couple of days. 

Regardless, Red Bluff is close enough to not worry about it! 

Thanks,
Bryan

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Covalent

Hello Everyone, I signed up for a training class this weekend in Southern California, I look forward to meeting other members.

CNC Apps Guy

We Attended the event in Piru 11/20-11/22. It was a great event.

kelevez

Hello y'all, im an Applecore from TN relocating to SoCal.  I am looking forward to helping y'all and attending some shoots in the area.  If you know of any good ranges near Oceanside where I can go and practice, do let me know.  Thanks.

Henry_Knox_4

Hey yall - I was at the Piru events in December and January. I've really enjoyed both events, Bob is a great shoot boss & teacher! I'll probably be back out in February.

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards where I can buy one of the appleseed shooting jackets? I understand someone here on the forums makes them

Henry

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Henry_Knox_4 on January 28, 2021, 03:39:07 PM
Hey yall - I was at the Piru events in December and January. I've really enjoyed both events, Bob is a great shoot boss & teacher! I'll probably be back out in February.

I was wondering if anyone could point me towards where I can buy one of the appleseed shooting jackets? I understand someone here on the forums makes them

Henry

Hi Henry,

There at least two that I know of. Mary is one. Her company is called "Not So Standard Issue".
You can send her an email at: notsostandardissue@gmail.com
Her Facebook page is: https://www.facebook.com/Not-So-Standard-Issue-1655407668039491

The other is Green Star Products, made by one of our own Appleseed families:
https://www.greenstarproducts.net/store/c1/greenstarproducts

I'm not sure if either of their websites are up to date, so I'd recommend contacting them directly.

Good luck!
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Leonidas_300th

Hey all, it's been awhile my apologies. I am wondering if the rainbow events are still going on this year that are listed on the schedule?
"I love the People of Boston. I once thought, that City would be the Christian Sparta. But Alas! Will men never be free! They will be free no longer than while they remain virtuous. Sidney tells us, there are times when People are not worth saving. Meaning, when they have lost their Virtue. I pray God, this may never be truly said of my beloved Town." Samuel Adams

eaglescouter

Quote from: Leonidas_300th on February 16, 2021, 07:38:04 PM
Hey all, it's been awhile my apologies. I am wondering if the rainbow events are still going on this year that are listed on the schedule?

There are currently 3 tickets remaining for the February event at Rainbow.
When you sign up with your friends you can take it to SOLD OUT !!!

If an event is cancelled we remove it from the events part of the website, so you are good to go, drag your friends in so we can mark this one as FULL !

--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Carlos

Hi Everyone,

I just attended the Piru event (my first Appleseed) last weekend Feb 20/21. Just wanted to give a shout out to Bob, Adam, and Kool-aid for all being awesome people. Also, I want to thank Henry for letting me know about the event and Appleseed! Definitely looking forward to future events and I'm currently reaching out to other :snipersmi friends to join me! Hopefully I'll be at the April event.

My work schedule only allows me to shoot on the weekends but I usually shoot at Oak Tree and less frequently at Angeles.

kmkahuna

Hello everyone, I am the "shiny new" Shoot Boss for the Rainbow Range area and we are at 17 shooters!  With the new safety berms at Rainbow we're limited to 18 now, so we're ready to go! Looking forward to a beautiful weekend at Rainbow Gun Range in SOCAL.

Quote from: eaglescouter on February 16, 2021, 07:41:33 PM
Quote from: Leonidas_300th on February 16, 2021, 07:38:04 PM

There are currently 3 tickets remaining for the February event at Rainbow.
When you sign up with your friends you can take it to SOLD OUT !!!

If an event is cancelled we remove it from the events part of the website, so you are good to go, drag your friends in so we can mark this one as FULL !
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
Samuel Adams, September 1722 -- October, 1803

Calisnaps

Hi Everyone,

Joined Appleseed in December and am looking to attend an event or two, probably at Piru this year.  Recently (4 years) took up shooting again after a 30+ year hiatus. 

Do the events usually sell out?

Do many People Camp at the Piru event or would a hotel be a better idea?

From the info, it looks like there have been past issues with the S&W 15-22 but they are allowed again now? (Mine was manufactured after the recall period and I still got a gauge from S&W and double-checked it).

Grateful for any info you can share.

LGS650

Quote from: Calisnaps on January 16, 2022, 12:41:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

Joined Appleseed in December and am looking to attend an event or two, probably at Piru this year.  Recently (4 years) took up shooting again after a 30+ year hiatus. 

Do the events usually sell out?

Do many People Camp at the Piru event or would a hotel be a better idea?

From the info, it looks like there have been past issues with the S&W 15-22 but they are allowed again now? (Mine was manufactured after the recall period and I still got a gauge from S&W and double-checked it).

I did an event back in November. My buddy and I drove from the Napa area in Norcal since we missed out on the Sacramento event. I think there is a good showing of people who sign up for the event. There were supposedly 13 people signed up on the November event. There were only 5 of us that were there on the first day. There was a big accident on the I-5 so i'm assuming people got caught in the traffic jam. There were 4 more people who showed up on the second day. It seemed like they were only going for the "Distinguished" patch so they didnt participate on the other portions of the event. Just my assumption.

We got a hotel over by the 6 flags area. It was well worth it. We got our money's worth because of the hot tub. There were shooting positions that were not comfortable to be in  extended periods of time. That got our shoulders, neck and legs sore.  They are effective as far as accuracy goes but uncomfortable. Alot of food spots by our hotel too. I dont think that there were anybody who camped out so I cant answer that question.

Try your best to follow their suggestions as far as what items to bring and what to wear. You will be shooting at the 25m mark. It seems short and easy right? I assure you that it will challenge everything that you think you know about shooting. I followed every single item that they suggested to bring. I must say that I did end up using everything it listed. I highly suggest bringing an extra small towel of tshirt to cover the action of your rifle. It gets really windy and it'll blow dirt and sand in your rifle.

Bob and Adam are pretty awesome. They are very knowledgeable and accommodating. Participate as much as you can with the discussions. We had alot of fun. The history lesson and storytelling during the lunch break is pretty awesome. It will truly grab your attention and feel that you were part of history. Absorb the lessons. Ask questions if you are not sure. Ask for feedback.

My buddy and I got our rifleman patch that day. Actually, my buddy was struggling all day. He always came up short of the scores needed to get the patch. I was afraid because it would have been a long drive back up to Norcal if he didnt get his patch and I did. Imagine the grumpiness for 7 hours of driving. He completely changed his mindset and didn't think about the patch. He just shot his rifle. Applied what he learned and follow instructions. On the last round of the day, he qualified! He was so distracted about not failing that its actually making him fail. Just enjoy the event. The folks and the instructors are awesome. Follow their instructions and you'll be fine.

The best thing I got out of the event was networking with other people. You'll meet different types of folks from different backgrounds.

Captain

Yep, the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 are now allowed at Appleseed. This is how it has been posted on our forum

"In Project Appleseed, student safety is paramount.  We recognize and appreciate the effort that Smith & Wesson has made with their M&P 15-22 safety alert.  The M&P 15-22 rifles will again be allowed for use at Project Appleseed clinics, effective August 1st, 2021.  We urge every 15-22 owner to read and comply with the instructions contained in the following links before attending a Project Appleseed rifle clinic:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/default/files/MP1522_Alert_030619.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO0gJRmc_c

Quote from: Calisnaps on January 16, 2022, 12:41:49 AM
. . .

There's things that gnaw on a man worse than dyin'. - Open Range

Kevin_K

Signed my father and I up for the April 22-23 Traditional event in Rainbow, CA.

I'm a Navy Vet and active Reservist. Shot Sharpshooter the last time I qualified with an M4 in 2012, but Expert eluded me. Qualified as a VBSS boarding Officer in 2013, so I've done the CQB aspect too. I'm looking forward to furthering my skills and learning what I missed. I plan on bringing a custom built dedicated upper AR22 (Block 3 URGI configuration) with iron sights as that would be what I would use to qualify again these days if I had to again.

He's going to use a custom built 10/22 with a scope.

We still have some gear gathering and ammo testing to do, so a few months gives us some time to prepare and get organized.

Thanks to all the instructors for putting these together and hosting these. Your logistics info is on point and easy to follow!

Hopefully I can get to a pistol clinic one of these days too, qualified, but could use some help getting better.