News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ossian IN, July 7-8 2012

Started by yellowhousejake, July 09, 2012, 09:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Hot? Maybe. Niecie thought Saturday morning was the worst of it and checking with recorded weather it looks like the heat index hit 111 before noon Saturday, so yea she is right again.

But we had water, we had ice, we had wash cloths, we had Hoosiers. We pushed through it and finished the day with all POI complete and we even got a AQT in for the taste of it before we shut the doors around 4pm. No sense being stupid as it was only getting hotter. Saturday left us with some wonderful five square targets and obvious shifting on stage four. We knew Sunday was gonna be a good day.

We made good use of the no shooting until noon on Sunday rule by having the line ready, rifles, mats, and targets prepared. We did a full review of the POI, including six steps and steady hold factors, even going through the KD lesson all before lunch. When lunch was done we hit the line and started with rounds down range on a five square, getting right to the AQTs as soon as everyone was ready. A nice slow pace, plenty of breaks, a few good humor breaks thanks to Julia, and before we stopped for KD we had two new riflemen.

Now I would be foolish not to mention that we also had plenty of good targets prior to the vaunted 210 scores. Derek getting a 209 with a borrowed rifle, and Mr. Reynolds with a borrowed rifle as well hitting at the door with I believe better than 170. Not bad for a work related run and a first responder run Saturday night. I wonder how well he shoots with a full night's sleep? I can't remember Jason's score with a stock Henry but it was envious. Had his eyes held out in the heat I think he would have seen 170s as well. Julia showed everyone that a pink cricket with a GI sling is just cool, and with a bit of practice it will throw rounds down range pretty smartly.

Which leaves us with Courtlin and Richard. Instructors had said before after other events that when either one made Rifleman they were going to blow right past 210 and they certainly did. Courtlin knocked out a 226 and Richard a 220! If you saw Richard's prone position you would know why he shot well and it would not have been a surprise I had him model Sunday morning. Courtlin showed she is unflappable, the "Ice Princess Courtlin". She may be all smiles and good humor on the equipment line, but when her prep period begins, this girl is all business.

Which leaves us where? Oh yea, some great KD time knocking steel around at 100 yards. I was proud as could be when in front of visitors Courtlin and Richard had their come ups for 100 yards. Uhh, instructors did ya hear that? The students had their come ups written down and proved it by hitting steel right out of the gate after sight adjustments. Now and then I start to think Fred is right and this stuff really works.

A great weekend, good history we could have used but I'll not make excuses (it was the heat) as everyone there had heard my history before (it was the heat). We all know why we were really there, to hear the message, to know that there are others out there like us who know what it will take to save a country. Participation, it's really that simple.

I look forward to seeing everyone back out on the line again, and I hope it is a Ossian line, with about 40 other Americans!

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Bryant

What a great weekend!  I had a great time and can't say my thanks enough to YHJ, Niecie, Fire Axes, and Sentinel who with their guidance made this a wonderful learning experience. 
The heat, oh the heat.  I must've drank a tanker truck of gatorade.  But the heat doesn't matter once you get in the bubble (as I sit here with a burn on the backs of my legs).  So relieved I finally broke 210!  I'm committed to breaking my score at my next seed, too (& bringing my own M1 :)
It was great to meet all the other shooters as well and I hope to see the rest of you on the OCC line some other time.

Okay, I've rambled on long enough...

Three cheers for Courtlin!  Way to go!    O0

Now where's Niecie with those pics  :pop:
Also on INGO as MtnBiker6510
-----------------

Niecie

Holy heat! Saturday was incredible! But what a fantastic group of Americans!

Many, many thanks to the awesome folks at OCC. Rose and Joyce never disappoint with their great meals and wonderful hospitality. Jack, Darrell, and Dave make sure each shoot runs smooth and problem free. Thank you all!  :bow:

All the shooters persevered amazingly well. Thank you all for hydrating and looking out for each other, too. Great job everyone! Congratulations to our newest Riflemen! I am SO happy I could be there to see them get their patches.

Also, special congratulations to B-I-L (Derek) and Jason. Fantastic progress throughout the weekend!

And the best of all, Julia and Courtlin were such troopers! In spite of the heat, bee sting, and other irritants, they held up so well and were such a joy to have on the line. Great job ladies!

Thank you all for such a great weekend!
I will get pics posted tomorrow- I need sleep....

Niecie

Niecie

Here are the pics. Enjoy!

First target of the day.

Making adjustments.

Much better.

FireAxes was the instructor of the day  O0

Learning from the instructors...

Learning from Dad.

Did we mention it was HOT!

Bobbin' for refreshment  ;)

Taking in the History.

Making new Friends.

Learning the positions

while trying to keep cool!

What an amazing group of Americans!! :bow: :bow:

Stay tuned... more to come.

Niecie

Day two - MUCH better weather and some aches and pains, too  >:D

Mountain Biker's prone position is so good, he was asked to model for everyone Sunday morning  O0

Courtlin's seated was fantastic as well - she modeled, too.  O0

Pink really compliments the green, right?

Julia getting competitive during the AQT...

Proud Dad  :)

Mountain Biker scores Rifleman! Congratulations  O0 O0

Courtlin scores Rifleman.  O0 O0 Another proud Dad! Way to go Courtlin!

Awesome young ladies getting their youth patches!

Getting ready for KD

Ringing the steel the rest of the afternoon...

Thank you all for being with us this weekend!

FireAxes

What a weekend! We had a fantastic group of shooters. They brought that teachable attitude and it showed.

It was hot, no doubt about it. Everyone did well adjusting to heat. Niecie passed out wet towels to help cope with the heat, some put them on their heads or necks. A few put damp ones over their rifles. Those rifles and mats get warm don't they?

Yellowhousejake covered most of the highlights. I'll add a few things. We had two gentlemen shooting rifles with factory sights. To say they did extremely well would be a huge understatement. It was a treat to watch how well Jason handled his lever gun.

Julia deserves her own paragraph. After the heat and a bee sting on Saturday, I wouldn't have blamed her for staying home. I'm so glad she came back. To see the difference in how well she worked the bolt of her rifle from Saturday to Sunday was amazing.  That pink stocked Cricket with a GI sling was just too cool. I may have looped up with it when you weren't looking.  :cool2:

I really hope I'm at the next Appleseed that Darrell and Derek come to. It's going to be fun watching them rack up Rifleman scores.

Richard and Courtlin show that persistence pays off.

I know this was number 7 for Courtlin, she never gave up. She's been  a few points off so many times. Just kept trying harder each time, that makes me prouder than her score.

You  were a great group.  I can't wait to get back to Ossian again.