News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crittenden, K. July 14 KD shoot

Started by Mudcat, July 15, 2012, 08:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

We ended up with a decent turn out back to Curtis Gates Lloyd Wildlife Management Area. 3 prior Appleseeders joined our 3 IITs and RH for a day of learning about their rifles.

These funny concrete tables work pretty well to shoot off of.

This is the 200 yard line not quite as comfy.

For others not really comfy at all. But a real world shooting situation sneaking up to quietly take that big pig at 200. Chris did great all day.

Here is Dad4Boys shooting his M1 from the clay pigeon and shot gun wads berm.

Barry had his scope go south well actually east as he was putting rounds on everyone's target. Still don't know what happened there.
Kerry quietly shot nice sized groups all day without much input but had to leave after lunch.
Jacob was doing well all day too and he got to shoot 3 AQTs to try to get that Riflemans patch and he got so close at a 206. We will see you on down the trail Jacob, I am sure.  A little dry practice by the numbers and you will have it.

All in all a great shoot at CGLWMA thanks to the boots on the ground Barry and John. We will be seeing you again soon.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Unbridled Liberty

A quite different, but great shoot by Mudcat.  Good seeing our NKY Instructors again, Barry and Jon, as well as Slim (honorary NKY Instructor!).  Chris, great meeting you and I hope to see you again soon.  I think we need to discuss a different hat color for you.  Jacob, good to see you again.  You will be a Rifleman very soon, just dry practice and persist.  I hope you attend a regular shoot in the near future.  Kerry, good seeing you again too.  Come back soon and spend the weekend!

I kind of liked shooting off that berm.  I felt like I was melted into it.  I learned a mess of things, including:  an SKS will not melt if it gets rained on.  TS200 Tech Sights are 1 click per MOA on a 20" barrel SKS.  If you make the aperture too small it makes it hard to see a 20" D target at 300 yards in the rain, especially when it is partly behind tall dead grass.  (Slim- I went back to the standard .0625" aperture by knocking out my "after-market" brass insert with a pin punch.  Easy-peazey.)  I also correctly calculated the diameter of a 24" steel plate at 300 yards with my front sight (1 1/3 x 6 MOA).  My come-up, shooting 123 gr. Golden Tiger, is 8 MOA to go from 25 yards to 300.  Also decided that my new all-in-one rifle case/drag bag/shooting mat with backpack straps is one awesome piece of gear.  A productive day. 

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms