News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reminder on heat stress

Started by FireAxes, June 26, 2012, 10:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FireAxes

I wanted to post up a reminder of the symptoms and first aid for heat illness.

Heat Cramps

Heat cramps are muscle spasms which usually affect the arms, legs, or stomach. Frequently they don't occur until sometime later after work, at night, or when relaxing. Heat cramps are caused by heavy sweating, especially when water is replaced by drinking, but not salt or potassium. Although heat cramps can be quite painful, they usually don't result in permanent damage. To prevent them, drink electrolyte solutions such as Gatorade during the day and try eating more fruits like bananas.

Heat Exhaustion

Heat exhaustion is more serious than heat cramps. It occurs when the body's internal air-conditioning system is overworked, but hasn't completely shut down. In heat exhaustion, the surface blood vessels and capillaries which originally enlarged to cool the blood collapse from loss of body fluids and necessary minerals. This happens when you don't drink enough fluids to replace what you're sweating away.

The symptoms of heat exhaustion include: headache, heavy sweating, intense thirst, dizziness, fatigue, loss of coordination, nausea, impaired judgment, loss of appetite, hyperventilation, tingling in hands or feet, anxiety, cool moist skin, weak and rapid pulse (120-200), and low to normal blood pressure.

Somebody suffering these symptoms should be moved to a cool location such as a shaded area or air-conditioned building. Have them lie down with their feet slightly elevated. Loosen their clothing, apply cool, wet cloths or fan them. Have them drink water or electrolyte drinks. Try to cool them down, and have them checked by medical personnel. Victims of heat exhaustion should avoid strenuous activity for at least a day, and they should continue to drink water to replace lost body fluids.

Heat Stroke

Heat stroke is a life threatening illness with a high death rate. It occurs when the body has depleted its supply of water and salt, and the victim's body temperature rises to deadly levels. A heat stroke victim may first suffer heat cramps and/or the heat exhaustion before progressing into the heat stroke stage, but this is not always the case. It should be noted that, on the job, heat stroke is sometimes mistaken for heart attack. It is therefore very important to be able to recognize the signs and symptoms of heat stroke - and to check for them anytime an employee collapses while working in a hot environment.

The early symptoms of heat stroke include a high body temperature (103 degrees F); a distinct absence of sweating (usually); hot red or flushed dry skin; rapid pulse; difficulty breathing; constricted pupils; any/all the signs or symptoms of heat exhaustion such as dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, or confusion, but more severe; bizarre behavior; and high blood pressure. Advance symptoms may be seizure or convulsions, collapse, loss of consciousness, and a body temperature of over 108° F. It is vital to lower a heat stroke victim's body temperature. Seconds count. Pour water on them, fan them, and apply cold packs (neck, groin and armpits). No time to be shy, remove or loosen as much clothing as possible. Call 911 and get an ambulance on the way as soon as possible. If they can't be moved to an air conditioned building, move them to shade or a vehicle with the air on full blast if the ambulance has a long response time.

Anyone can suffer a heat illness, but by taking a few simple precautions, they can be prevented:

Condition yourself for working in hot environments - start slowly then build up to more physical work. Allow your body to adjust over a few days. This can be hard for us, we may work inside in air conditioning all week long. Then, we are outside all weekend. We have to do the best we can to adapt.
    Drink lots of liquids. Don't wait until you're thirsty, by then, there's a good chance you're already on your way to being dehydrated. Electrolyte drinks are good for replacing both water and minerals lost through sweating. Never drink alcohol, and avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee and pop.
    Take a break if you notice you're getting a headache or you start feeling overheated. Cool off for a few minutes before going back to work.
    Wear light weight, light colored clothing when working out in the sun.
   Some medications and medical conditions may make you heat/light sensitive.

I'll add a few Appleseed related helpful ideas.
  A wash cloth, bandanna, or hand towel kept in a cooler and applied to back of the neck during breaks.
Instant cold packs can be used the same way. Throw them back in the cooler to keep them cool the rest of the day.
A simple oral rehydrate can be made with salt, sugar and water. Next time your at your favorite fast food place, grab some of those salt and sugar packs. throw some in your range bag with a bottle of water. Better than nothing when the Gatorade is long gone.
Another field expedient drink, half Coke(or Whatever, not diet) and half water.

One thing I have done many times. Immerse your forearms in cold water, you have lots of blood vessels close to surface there. This will quickly help cool you down. If your cooler is big enough, stick your arms in there!

I'm sure I've forgotten plenty, there is good info elsewhere on the board. I just wanted to throw out a quick read/reminder.

ATM

Good reminder, we have many more scorchers coming up.

Quote from: FireAxes on June 26, 2012, 10:24:55 PM
...avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee and pop.

:cool2:  ...but that's just crazy talk right there.
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

dond

Thank you FireAxes. This explains why I have leg cramps some nights after an AS. This information should be printed off and read until it has all been absorbed. And then carried with you to events.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

FireAxes

Quote from: ATM on June 26, 2012, 10:34:51 PM
Good reminder, we have many more scorchers coming up.

Quote from: FireAxes on June 26, 2012, 10:24:55 PM
...avoid caffeinated beverages like coffee and pop.

:cool2:  ...but that's just crazy talk right there.

I know, I know...

Just put a pinch of salt in that last cup.  ;)

hinermad

Bananas, oranges, melons, peaches, tomatoes, and nuts are a good source of potassium, as are yogurt and white meat. Salt is easier to come by because it's used in so many prepared foods.

If you don't have to urinate, or if it's a dark orange color when you do, you're not drinking enough water. Bottoms up!

Your feet are good radiators of heat, as is the top of your head. Uncovering them (in the shade) will help your body shed heat.

Dave

TruTenacity

FireAxes,

Do you mind if Scuzzy adds your information to the small bit of info on TIPS FAQ?  It's too good to allow this to get buried.
https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/faq.php#weather
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

FireAxes

Quote from: TruTenacity on June 26, 2012, 11:49:12 PM
FireAxes,

Do you mind if Scuzzy adds your information to the small bit of info on TIPS FAQ?  It's too good to allow this to get buried.

Please feel free to use/edit it in any manner you see fit.

scuzzy

FireAxes,

Will add to FAQ. Some good pointers. Most of these I follow already being as the temps here in central Texas an be brutally hot. We've already had several days in a row of 100+ degree temps. Weather.com is calling for 102+ today. And we don't run an AC unit at my house!

Probably ought to add a link to the how to prepare page too.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Sly223

This is a great thread at the right time I will have the FL cadre read this
Thanks again!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

TruTenacity

Quote from: scuzzy on June 27, 2012, 10:39:10 AM
FireAxes,

Will add to FAQ. Some good pointers. Most of these I follow already being as the temps here in central Texas an be brutally hot. We've already had several days in a row of 100+ degree temps. Weather.com is calling for 102+ today. And we don't run an AC unit at my house!

Probably ought to add a link to the how to prepare page too.

Thanks, scuzzy.
"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Pitmaster

When I was a match director for a large ICORE match last year. The heat index was above 105º. I filled some 5 gallon water coolers with ice water and had wash cloths available to use to cool off or wrap around necks.

Depending upon the location and availability it may be wise to put some canopies up over the shooting line.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

dart67eb

Quote from: Pitmaster on June 27, 2012, 12:46:16 PM
When I was a match director for a large ICORE match last year. The heat index was above 105º. I filled some 5 gallon water coolers with ice water and had wash cloths available to use to cool off or wrap around necks.

Depending upon the location and availability it may be wise to put some canopies up over the shooting line.

Canopies are HUGE!  Also, remember to PRE-hydrate starting a day or so before.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Sly223

All of the Fl Shoot Bosses are now equipt. with canopy's,We were taking donations.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Bryant

Great info Fireaxes, thanks for sharing. 
Also on INGO as MtnBiker6510
-----------------

FireAxes

I won't lie, this can be serious stuff. I responded to a house fire yesterday afternoon. Within 20-30 minutes I was showing most of the symptoms of heat exhaustion. It can happen to anyone. Be careful out there, start hydrating DAYS before your next shoot.

Pitmaster

We're expecting upper 90° all week with heat indexes 100°+. I'm all ready hydrating and figure half or more of that will just be treading sweat. Unfortunately I'm recovering from an abscess that was lanced and drained Saturday. I hope it heals enough to let me shoot. I'll know more after seeing the doc this afternoon. I will go but take it easy. I'm also looking forward to the fishing charter on Lake Michigan with the instructors. No matter what its going to be hot.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

POC

I've used these at AS in the past, they are nice.
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/More_Ways_to_Shop/More_Ways_to_Shop/Summer_Essentials/Bandana_Cooler/H1500

FYI: Put them in your cooler of ice water for a while, they will stay cold for a long time.  But don't LEAVE them in the cooler overnight, they will rupture!
To all Riflemen on the planet; we are here; we are waiting.

Mutti

Quote from: Pitmaster on June 27, 2012, 12:46:16 PM

I just bought some white washcloths to use at our next shoot based on your recommendation. We are projected to cool down to 95F up here - thankfully! Thanks!

mutti
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Sly223

I remember a similar thread a couple yrs ago.
I mentioned an Ice Cold Watermelon somewhere around 2-3pm.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

Barbie

If you're bringing a cooler full of ice along, toss a travel pack of baby wipes in there.  Nothing like an ice cold baby wipe to freshen ya up when you're all hot and sweaty.
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

SPQR

Love the cold wet wipes.  Its like getting a soothing massage from slim himself.  -:)  or...uh...si I've heard  ???
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Barbie

Quote from: SPQR on July 09, 2012, 10:41:33 AM
Love the cold wet wipes.  Its like getting a soothing massage from slim himself.  -:)  or...uh...si I've heard  ???

Haha, I may or may not have stole this idea from him  ::)  But as far as the soothing massages go I'll take your word for it  ;D
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.