Author Topic: Public relpy about gas reinbursement.  (Read 1665 times)

Offline tittiger

• Retired IIT
  • The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time...
Public relpy about gas reinbursement.
« on: June 12, 2012, 10:24:12 PM »
Believer ---  thanks for the email but I think you have mistaken me for someone else.
As far as driving around and  charging Appleseed for it - that is not the case. My van never moves except to go to an Appleseed period. I ride my motorcycle for everything else and the reason it takes me a week or 2 to bill Appleseed is that I have to wait on the Social Security check to fill the tank back up. 

As you will notice I have not billed Appleseed for anything this year as I can not spare the $200 or so to fill the tank up twice to get to an Appleseed and then fill it up again.
This is a real slap in the face considering all I have sacraficed<SP> for the program.
I only wish I could afford to get to a single Appleseed this year.

I quite understand the problems the program has and I understand this was not dirrected at me me personally.  None the less I had to  have my 2 cents worth.

Thanks, blessings, in  liberty
Joe
"It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government."
~ Thomas Paine

Offline ItsanSKS

• Master Instructor
  • Buy a rifle, then LEARN TO SHOOT IT!
Re: Public relpy about gas reinbursement.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 11:29:19 PM »
Joe-

FYI:  The PM went to every instructor, wasn't just you.

If the content of that PM does not apply to you, simply ignore it. 

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Offline tittiger

• Retired IIT
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »
We will have to disagree on this one Itsan.

If it was not meant for me perhaps it should not have been sent to me.

I sure would like to get some positive email from Appleseed rather than
the negative tearing down email that it seems that I do receive.

Perhaps my memory is selective. But that is my recollection.

In Liberty
Joe
~ Thomas Paine

Offline SPQR

• Hot Pants!
  • Inactive Instructor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:49 AM »
Nearly a thousand instructors and our money man should have gone through and clicked off one name that he probably doesn't know?  Come on man, cut this guy some slack.  This guy does a ton for this organization and sent a PM out to every instructor about a serious issue.  You want to bust him up because he did not deign to take one name off a list of nearly a thousand?  relax, it obviously isn't about you because you aren't working shoots.

Offline tittiger

• Retired IIT
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:47:10 AM »
Looks like I hit a sore spot with some - and no, this was not meant in any way to be a personal attack on Believer, just a comment on the way things are done in general. 

Personally I am just tired of negative feedback, and I would guess that I am not alone in that opinion, just the person stupid enough to post my feelings on the subject.

Anyhow accept my appologies Believer if I stepped on your toes.
All I want to say is that  I would like to see us get a little bit more positive in our dealings with instructors.

Blessings
Joe
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Ratchett

• Retired Shoot Boss
  • RAMSEUR.........8/13!!! Osage Beach ten oh nine
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »
I think this PM comes down to perspective. I received the same as every instructor. I fall into the same category as tittiger. I have a fixed income as well and when I get home from a shoot: 1.) gas stations in my sleepy little town are closed, 2) I do not make a special trip to fill up.

Now if so minded I could take exception to the PM, but I do not because I am not driving the rest of the week and charging it to AS. I did not get an additional PM explaining that I was doing anything wrong... so I am figuring Believer does not have a problem with how I am dealing with reimbursement. This is the first year I have requested $$ for gas, lodging, inst meals etc. I can make a mistake, does not mean the program does not appreciate what I am doing. Personally, I am not in the program to hear someone tell me I am doing a good job, or give me a pat with a velvet glove. I am here to try to get people to see where they are driving this country because of their ignorance, apathy, and laziness. I am here for the students that come to the shooting events, the library seeds, the conventions whatever venue to hear the story, the mission/message.

Now if you want to take a benign PM to remind folks to be good stewards with the funds available, I guess that is your prerogative. Did it need to be made public?? What purpose does that serve?? I am seriously trying to understand how the PM was negative and tearing anyone down. I hear contradiction in your posts and it is confusing. You say that it was a slap in the face, yet  you admitted you had not been to an AS this year. You say that you know it was not directed at you personally in the initial post, but in response to Itsan, you comment if it was not meant for you then should not have been sent to you. It seems there is an underlying issue verses the issue of reimbursement? Please explain so that others may understand.

Hopefully we will meet on the trail, until then God's blessings to you.

In His grip,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Offline Ratchett

• Retired Shoot Boss
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 01:03:47 AM »
Sorry tittiger, I guess you did explain while I was typing. I just hit post instead of reading the comments entered while posting.

IHG,
ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

Offline tittiger

• Retired IIT
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
No worries Ratchett.
All I can say is that I am no more rational than anyone else.
I am an emotional knee jerk being, when something hits one of my hot buttons.

I am probably more pissed about not being able to attend shoots than anything else.
Thanks for the reality check Ratchett.

~ Thomas Paine

Offline SPQR

• Hot Pants!
  • Inactive Instructor
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:44:49 AM »
I feel like my toes have been stepped on because I don't see how your post is helpful.  You say you want things to be more positive.  I can get behind that.  The tone of your other posts suggests random bellyaching, in particular because the issue doesn't seem to apply to you.  That's far from positive.  Still, you have my ears.  A member of the AB and the National Promotions Coordinator and you have my ear.  If you want something more positive you could have PMd Believer and said, "What's the problem?  How can I help?".  You obviously have internet access so, even though you haven't worked any shoots this year, you have a chance to make a difference in the other 28 days which may well be more important.

If you want to start talking solutions and make this a positive thread, I will back you all the way.  I am listening.

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 02:45:30 AM »
tittiger,

I get my positive boosts when I help with a shoot.  Is it possible to take your clipboard and orange hat on your motorcycle to get to work a shoot?  Some instructors bring a lot of gear with them, but please don't let that be a barrier to getting you back on the line instructing.

- ShadowMan :-\
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline tittiger

• Retired IIT
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 10:13:13 AM »
I feel like my toes have been stepped on because I don't see how your post is helpful.  You say you want things to be more positive.  I can get behind that.  The tone of your other posts suggests random bellyaching, in particular because the issue doesn't seem to apply to you.  That's far from positive.  Still, you have my ears.  A member of the AB and the National Promotions Coordinator and you have my ear.  If you want something more positive you could have PMd Believer and said, "What's the problem?  How can I help?".  You obviously have internet access so, even though you haven't worked any shoots this year, you have a chance to make a difference in the other 28 days which may well be more important.

If you want to start talking solutions and make this a positive thread, I will back you all the way.  I am listening.

SPQR my so called "bellyaching" posts are usually pointing out things that I perceive as broken that need attended to. If you want to call that "bellyaching" that is your prerogative.  I call it being responsible and caring about the organization. I guess I could just ignore my concerns - as that usually fixes problems.

This  particular concern was posted here because it effects each and every one of us. Thus IMHO it belongs in this forum. 

As far as the other 28 days of the month, I  do more for the cause of liberty than any single person that I know of. 

I find it ironic that your criticizing me for being negative sounds an awful lot like a personal attack.  Say what you want to about my "bellyaching" at least I have attempted not to make my posts personal attacks.
~ Thomas Paine

Offline colycat

• Master Instructor, Central Plains coordinator
  • Master Instructor
  • Willing to go down range
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »
As far as the other 28 days of the month, I  do more for the cause of liberty than any single person that I know of. 

You should meet Fred sometime :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

Offline ATM

• Inactive Instructor
  • Will sing for sammiches
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 01:22:11 PM »

...I call it being responsible and caring about the organization...

But if someone else brings up an item that is being broken or needs attended to and does it for those very same reasons, it's considered a slap in the face?

Believer, who has taken on the responsibility of caring for this organization at a much higher level of accountability than most of us, presented a couple of accountable items that everyone should understand and consider and a very few will need to change.

Let's all just give a thumbs up if we get it and keep moving forward.  O0

Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Offline oladcock

• designated Shoot Boss
  • ATCS (AW) USN Ret...
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Communication through these binary brain suckers loses a LOT of context. I have to admit when I first read the PM, I was wondering what I'd screwed paperwork wise over the last few shoots. Wasn't obvious it was one of the blanket PM's. Only deciding I wasn't guilty of the infractions did it occure to me it was generic in nature.

Bottom line is PM's if not worded very carefully can easily be taken out of context and blown out of proportion. IMO, blanket PM's or emails should NEVER be negative in nature. Even what's intended to be pep talks to those who are doing all they can do is negative. One thing I learned long ago while still in my teens being thrown into an instructor position, if the audience doesn't understand the message, it's not their fault....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  10-19-2019

Offline 2 clicks low

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
Communication through these binary brain suckers loses a LOT of context. I have to admit when I first read the PM, I was wondering what I'd screwed paperwork wise over the last few shoots. Wasn't obvious it was one of the blanket PM's.

When I got this PM I also was unaware it was a blanket and beliving that I do not spend needlessly PM'd an explination of my last gas reinbursment and CC'd my SC.

My appoligies to Believer for that PM.
 :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

2 clicks low
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

Offline GEmanuel

• Retired Shoot Boss
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
Perhaps a simple "To All Appleseed Instructors, IITs, ITs, SBs, SIs, MIs etc" would be in order.
Too much time has been spent on this already, let's all get back on the line!

Offline Believer

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
Perhaps a simple "To All Appleseed Instructors, IITs, ITs, SBs, SIs, MIs etc" would be in order.
Too much time has been spent on this already, let's all get back on the line!

I agree this is a good idea.  I assumed that only providing a link for folks to follow in the Mass PM to a general post on the Reimbursement Board would provide the "disconnect" that it was general and not personal.

Lessons learned, the next Mass PM will include a reference at the top that it is a Mass PM.
SOMSOM

An Ordinary American teaching other Ordinary Americans basic riflery skills and American Revolutionary War History in an extraordinary way.

Offline George Hacker

• Inactive Instructor
  • The instructor formerly known as "ShadowMan"
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:03 PM »
 :DH:
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Offline Ratchett

• Retired Shoot Boss
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
Maybe patriot gal can lock this thread as---nuff has been said O0

Offline LittleMo

• Retired IIT
  • NY State Promotions
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »
I agree with Ratchett and ShawdowMan,,, nuff said.
:DH:

Lets move on and stay focused and expand this great organization.
There are more students to teach and motivate.

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

Offline Patriot Gal

• Retired Shoot Boss
  • Camp Atterbury KD nine eleven
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »
Looks like we're all in and all said.  Thanks to all who made positive comments on this topic.  We do learn best from our mistakes and even perceived mistakes.

So now that we've moved into solution,  this thread is done.

Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan