News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Radio Gift certificate UPDATE: I have an idea.....

Started by Publican, June 11, 2012, 09:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Publican

I do not know if buying a "gift certificate" from the RWVA would also be considered Tax Deductible?

If sooooo, for those people who would like to donate AND get a tax deduction - here is the plan ^:)^

(Your situation in your town with your local radio guys/gals may vary slightly......)

One of my local radio Talk Show guys has young nephews. I also work with him in another venture so I know these details. Last year he spoke to me (he knows I OC) about the shooting sports for the nephews.

Yesterday I spoke to him about appleseed and he thought the kids would love it. My plan (even if not tax deductible) is to get him a certificate....anonymously....and send it to him at the radio station.
Listeners often send these 2 guys odds and ends at the station. They inevitably talk about the gifts on the air.

I WILL STRESS that they do not need to discuss it on the air so as not to get in trouble with their bosses. It will be totally their choice if they do so.

Best case scenario: They talk about it on the air, He takes the kids to an AS.......The rest is history. Then he talks about how much fun they all had after he/they went to AS

Next best scenario: They can not talk about it on the air, He takes the kids to an AS.......The rest is history. Then he talks about how much fun they all had after he/they went to AS

Next next best:He can never talk about it on the air, He takes the kids to an AS.......The rest is history.

Thoughts?
;D

EDIT - and if this idea seems decent, maybe PA should suggest it to the other states?
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Foppish Dandy

I'm no expert, but typically buying things like a certificate doesn't count as a donation as you're receiving something in return (regardless of whether or not you're giving it away).

FD
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Publican

I was hoping that would be a selling point that we could use to get folks to kill 2 birds w/ one stone....maybe free advertising along with getting more people out to an AS. I still plan on doing this (long story) and know it will be the urging he needs to take the nephews.

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Foppish Dandy

Radio personalities are definitely great people to 7th Step to and I would encourage you to go ahead in doing so. You might want to talk to some of your local shoot bosses to talk about possibly setting up a complimentary weekend for a "celebrity".

However, it doesn't work as a tax deduction if you receive anything in return. If it did, then everyone who signs up for an AS weekend would be able to deduct the fees.

FD

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Publican

Gift certificate arrived today. Typing up a personal letter to him (Ironhead) and including it with the certificate.

This letter is much different than if I were doing the same thing for a "stranger." I have known Ironhead for quite awhile so I have taken some liberties. Some of what you will read is tongue-in-cheek (most). He will not mention my name because he knows I do not want the recognition on the air. See Attached:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ironhead:

You were not forgotten when I peppered Uncle Kev with an episode or two of NCIS. I just had to try and decide what would best suit a man with your interests.

First of course, the entire DVD set of every season of "Dancing with the Stars" came to mind. But I suspected that you probably were TIVO'ing them from season 1 through current so I skipped that option. Ballroom dancing lessons came to mind but I suspect you have already taken those classes on your own.

Then IT came to me: A lifetime membership in the Democratic National Committee. Your membership card is "in the mail".

In the mean time maybe the enclosed will get your couch potato, TV watching, sedentary butt outside - take that nice lady and some kids with you to one of these events. You will find the remaining dates at the following link

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=PA&statename=Pennsylvania
Lewistown is probably the closest place for you. The other locations may be closer to the kids.

If this years dates do not work, there is always next year OR check for additional dates and locations at above link.

These are the "generic pricing" fees:

Appleseed Pricing Information

FREE - Active Military, Reserve, National Guard, and Peace Officers.

$10 - Women  - A substantial discount over the normal $70 pre-reg fee!

$5 - Youths under 21.

For males who do not fit any of the above categories:
$70 - For two full days of instruction*     $45 - Single day*

*For preregistered shooters. Although we encourage preregistration for events, walk-ons are welcome if space is available on the firing line. Walk-on price is $80/weekend, $50/single day.

Please Note: A small additional range fee may be required for all shooters at some locations. See specific location information for details and directions.         

Ironhead - all joking aside, I am sure you and yours will enjoy one of these fun filled, informative, educational weekends.
Below you will see a small fraction of information about the RWVA - Revolutionary War Veterans Association:

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/
QuoteProject Appleseed is an activity of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, dedicated to teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills.  Our volunteer instructors travel across the country teaching those who attend about the difficult choices, the heroic actions, and the sacrifices that the Founders made on behalf of modern Americans, all of whom are their "progeny."

Our heritage program vividly portrays the Battles of Lexington and Concord with the kind of care and immediacy that is absent from most formal schooling. Modern listeners are confronted with the danger, the fear, and the heartbreaking separations that arose out of the choices made on April 19th, 1775. They are also reminded of the marksmanship skills and masterful organization that ultimately helped set the colonists on the path to success. Those who attend gain a better understanding of the fundamental choices faced by our ancestors as they began to set the stage for the nation we now enjoy.

Signed:

NoName

AppleseedUSA.org - Interviews with local leaders can be arranged!

Foppish Dandy

Publican

First "Just the facts"

-They discussed it this morning for 3 minutes starting at 7:45.
-Ironhead mentioned the web addy twice.
-He was very thankful and spoke about both aspects of the Appleseed program (Unknown but well documented History as well as the Marksmanship aspect)
-He spoke about how great it would be for the kids/whole family.
-He mentioned that he would try (because of his interest) to discuss the Appleseed project more in the future.
-He did say that he would try to get a representative from the organization in for a small discussion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Impressions:
-I will keep an eye out on their facebook page to see if they post it there. My facebook moniker is "Apple Seed" so anyone who reads their page sees that if/when I post.
-He was not well versed on the program BUT the 1 time I spoke to him about it in person, I went into some details so he was not totally ignorant about the program.
-I do not know if he will get to go to one this year. He is involved in sports announcing and B4 we know it, PSU football will be knocking on our door.
-I missed the boat by not thinking of this plan sooner. I suspect that early Spring would be the best time to try this again if this pans out. That way, it give a host time to schedule around their busy schedule. Often Radio hosts do "remote" broadcasts on the weekends....and these are PAID gigs. They obviously would rather earn money on a weekend than not.
-I do believe that since we are a non-profit they may contact us (at the bottom of my emails in my sig area the following is always present:
QuoteAppleseedUSA.org - Interviews with local leaders can be arranged!
-Who shall I refer him to IF he decides to do an AS segment :sos: Might I also suggest a youngster who attended the program attend the interview? Passionate kids make for a great interview!!!

-OVERALL, I would rate this as a mediocre success. It still has time to improve IF:
We can actually get him/his family to an event
We can get someone on the air

We need to get the passion into the voice that is discussing the program. He could not offer that needed part because he still does not understand what it is all about.

IF we can get other interviews scheduled, it would be best if we could have one of the interviewers from the radio station to actually attend an event B4 the interview occurs.

Charles McKinley

Hi Publican,

Great Job!

There are several well versed Shoot Bosses in SE PA.  Talk with Chainsaw (State Coordinator) on his thoughts.  It would be good to have a media plan ready if they contact you.

If you want to be on the Natoinal Promotions team thee are several things that need done.  Send a PM to SPQR.

I'm willing to help you any way I can.

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery