News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

The Story of Meliscent Barrett (kid activities)

Started by Kaylee, June 08, 2012, 01:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaylee

Not Appleseed per se, but at a local school Colonial Day I told the story of Meliscent, and how she sweet-talked a British Officer into showing her how to roll cartridges for the militia - then we all made some!

For anyone who wants to follow suit to have something to keep the Smaller Crowd occupied in a LibrarySeed or the like, I got everything at Michaels. Cost was about $40 for 40 kids.

- The "powder" was black florist's sand
- The "balls" were black glass marbles
- The cartridge paper cut ahead of time from an artist's newsprint pad
- Some dowels of about the marble's diameter (1/2 inch in this case), cut to about 6" long for formers.

Everyone got a chance to do at least two, and some kids really went crazy. :)

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

Johnnyappleseed

Excelent  work Kaylee O0

Few year's from now they will all be signed up for a Appleseed ,until then they have a new knowledge that freedom is not free .
Good job  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Amber Waves

Can I use this hand out?  Cause it is awesome to see the scissors and get the account in one.  I might even go so far as make some up, someday.  I won't use the real ball and powder, but gum ball and pop rocks.

Thank you for finding this handout.

Publican

AMAZING JOB!

Any "teacher" that can do this is bound to make a difference in the lives of quite a few young people  :bow:

Actually I suspect that you have just made a difference in the lives of a few of the adults who will read this thread as well.

Nice job
"I regard giving as necessary to right the balance..." Hu Chung

"Things now every day begin to grow more and more serious" Lord Percy

"Please remember the 2nd Amendment each and every time you vote".....Cork

"I need to actively fight the external threat, so as not to become the internal threat!".....Publican

Kaylee

Thanks y'all!

And of course - anyone is welcome to use the handout. I sized it to print out full size on 8.5x11, so you should be able to just open the image and print as many copies as you need.

Gumball and poprocks - EXCELLENT idea. :)

Chainsaw

I'll be doing something for some homeschoolers this fall and this will definitely be on the agenda.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo