News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, OH May 5-6, 2012

Started by KAH, May 07, 2012, 01:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KAH

What a great weekend we had in Miamisburg - SOLD OUT SHOOT, great group of shooters (positive, teachable, interested, participating!), combined with some awesome Instructors and decent weather combined to give us one of the better shoots we've had in this Great State!

Thanks to all the Shooters who came with great attitudes.  We had several returning shooters, and a couple of returning Riflemen back to confirm their previous scores (and they DID it nicely!!).  Shooters from all walks of life (just like back on April 19th, 1775!) and all different ages (again, just like on April 19th, 1775) came together to learn Marksmanship and Heritage and build that sense of community.  We all shared a great weekend, and got to know each other and what we were about.

Second, thanks to a great group of instructors who worked together to help the shooters grow, both in their marksmanship abilities and in their sense of urgency in saving this sinking ship. 

Of course, the opportunity to shoot at the Club in Miamisburg is always special.  It's a great facility with incredibly supportive members that permit us to utilize their range and clubhouse facilities.  Huzzah to you folks!

A special shout-out to our Junior Patriots this weekend (Abby, Rachel, Alex, Isabella, Emily and Johnny).  You guys and gals were SAFE, attentive, focused and fun to have on our line!  Even if you weren't shooting (hope to have you behind a rifle next time Johnny  O0) you all paid attention and participated in the history, and that's great to see!

We had two shooters confirm their Rifleman Skills: Bill (persevering through the muddy conditions and the lumpy ground) and Kick-in-the-pants (how many times and with how many rifles and what was that score on the fourth stage ??!! :bow:)

Not to be outdone, we had two NEW Riflemen that earned patches this weekend: Howard (was it the shooting jacket, or were you just putting it all together at the end?!  ;) ) and Ken (like son, like father -  ;D ).  Congrats to all of you on your achievements.

For those that did not achieve the Rifleman score this weekend, I am truly impressed that you ALL MADE SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS toward the goal.  The Instructor team saw dramatic improvement in your shooting skills, almost immediately and it continued throughout the weekend.  Keep up the dry fire practice (safely, ammo in a separate room) and you will ready for your next Appleseed ... (perhaps, Gibsonburg on Memorial Day Weekend with a 500 Yard range for Sunday afternoon,  ^:)^ ^:)^....).  Five shooters bought Rifleman Opportunity Cards, so there's no excuse not to join us again soon  ;D

That's it for now.  I'll post some pictures later.  Please jump in and post your thoughts and pics too!

Take good care

kah
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Anwalt

Ditto.  Fantastic shoot, this was our second one.  First-class instruction, first-class review of history, first class people, both instructors and participants.  Great "energy", just plain good old-fashioned Americans.  Just like our first shoot last year, our marksmanship improved dramatically.  I was shooting in the 190's by the end of Sunday.  And those Tech Sights & GI slings make a difference.  First time around we had standard Ruger sights and leather slings, both were suboptimal.

Special thanks to Blair and Rick who really spent a lot of time with our family.  Your feedback really made a difference.  Kendrick did a great job of running it, with serious assists from all, including Dangerous D, Mean Streaker and Dryfire.  Anyone I missed:  It's me and my lousy memory for names - sorry!

Thanks again, superb event.  See you all again at Piqua in June.

Anwalt (John Hyre) & Family
"An act that is inherently evil does not become moral simply because there's a majority consensus." - Dr. Walter E. Williams

MeanStreaker

Every Appleseed weekend is special, but this one had a bit of that extra magic you only see on AS lines every now and then. I'm confident everyone will agree that the great people there, student and Instructor alike, is what made this one something to remember.   

Thanks to all for letting me spend the weekend with you.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Coyote217

Wow, what a great bunch of shooters!  Wading though the "hungry" mud to get on the shooting line was impressive. But what made it special to me was the looks in your eyes and the nods of your heads when the history was told.  I look forward to seeing you all again on the Appleseed trail and sharing and learning right along with you. 
"These are the times that try men's souls." Thomas Paine

Hannibal ante portas!

snakeman67

as one of those who purchased the ROC this weekend, I have since confirmed my spot on the line for the Gibsonburg Appleseed on memorial Day weekend, this shall be my second Mem Day with you fine folks, and I can not wait! I have attended shoots in 3 states, WI, IL and OH. and oddly enough, I believe MEANSTREAKER was at each one!
I cant begin recall the names of every person met this past Sunday, but Patriots all. I will be bringing KATHE with (or will she be bringing me!) to Gibsonburg! We should have he Rifle set up by then. And maybe Ill be able to shoot mine as, I know I can.
Thanks to all of the ITT's and Instructors who brave 90% Humidity, 6 inches of water and mud, to recount the storied tales of 1775, The "Broadside" of the "BLOODIED BUTCHERY OF THE BRITISH" was excellent, and has since been put away to be displayed (framed in glass) on the wall with the Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence residing in my shop at home.
well...Till next time HUZZAH....and focus on that front sight!
snakeman out....
"The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing"

KAH

Snakeman:

Thanks to YOU for dropping by on Sunday to shoot with us!  Thanks also for bringing some bumper stickers to pass out. Please being those with you next weekend to GBurg. And don't forget GBurg has a 500 yard range (HUZZAH!!) so you can confirm what you learn at 25m and make those hits at 500!!  Makes for a great Sunday afternoon!!

Perhaps we'll see you and Karhe there.

Take good care
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Ratchett

Fantastic Snakeman!! I may have to try to make G-burg---would be great to see Kathe again!!!

Anwalt and family---Sorry I missed you guys!! Been a long time since Zanesville last year. It is amazing the difference a couple little equipment changes can make--who woulda thunk!

Congratulations to Riflemen new and old.

Instructors, y'all know what I think of you and yes I may be prejudice but it is true!!

Hope to see you all out on the trail soon...

In his grip,
julia
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

the buckeye trapper

Ditto to all the above comments! What a great group! Glad to see some of you signed up for Gibsonburg and Piqua, can't wait to see and work those shoots with you. For everyone else see you down the trail.   

posterboy

Oh yeah ..c'mon on up to Gburg and shoot steel @ 500 with ole posterboy and crew !!  :---

pb

Kick-in-the-pants

It happened again, I had a great time at Apple Seed  :~  I really begin to notice it at work the next day when I'm stuck behind my computer...  :sos:

But I want to send out a special thanks to Coyote217 for taking a special interest in helping dad work that bolt and bring home a patch!  You guys helped to make it a special weekend with my dad that I've been looking forward to for longer than you'll ever know!

I also owe Dryfire a special thanks to letting me be one of few to ever borrow "Stupid Easy."  I don't know how much the scope or heavy barrel did for me (in comparison to my bolt gun), but on those two middle stages breathing once for ever two or three shots made an incredible difference, not having to work the bolt between each shot!  But alas, that's not my rifle and I will still strive forward with the goal of one day achieving a perfect score with MY RIFLE... at least on the fourth stage  ;)

And lastly...  :pics:

If you guys want full size versions of this, PM me with your e-mail and I'll get it over to you!

Kick-in-the-pants

Well I can't leave this out, unfortunately...

I have to start off by saying that I agreed with %99 of what I heard this past weekend... but the fact that it came up and was discussed so freely bothered me.  Trying not to sound like a jerk, it seemed like there was a lot of discussion about the general dissatisfaction with the way things are being run with our government and country.  At my two previous Apple Seed's, these topics were discussed in a much lighter tone and, whenever they were brought to a point by participants, it was pointed out that we can talk about modern politics... just not at Apple Seed. 

I suppose to sum it up, if I were not of the political spectrum than I really am, I would have left with a disposition towards AS similar to a lot of negative (liberal mindset) dispositions I've seen discussing AS on various internet forums. 

I think you guys are doing a great thing, and Lord willing one day I will take a hat (I assure you it is not for a lack of desire on my part!).  But let me urge you all to make sure you are like the colonists, striving to maintain the moral high ground, especially when talking about applying what has been taught over the weekend to the world we live in today. 

I hope I'm not being a stick in the mud, because I do feel there was a lot of truth spoken.  A lot of this was done over lunch the second day.  I realize it's hard to control conversation at lunch...

Edheler

I have been trying for the past two days to find a description for this Appleseed. I guess I will show my age by just using the adjective "Awesome." I can only hope that the shooters had as good of a time as I did. It was great meeting and working with all of you!

I struggled with nervousness early on under the observation of an incredible collection of experienced instructors but feel I recovered well after stumbling early on. I like a challenge but was worried that I had bit off more than I could chew! I hope everyone enjoyed my second strike it was the first history I had attempted at an Appleseed. Personally I think my David Lamson on Sunday was better. :) Many thanks to the other instructors who gave me excellent feedback on how to improve my history in the future.

I will be making another post in the Pennsylvania section in the next few days on reflections of doing 4 Appleseed weekends in a row starting as a newly minted IIT0. The journey has been an experience I will treasure to my dying day. Thank-you to everyone who was there, it was an honor.

snakeman67

O0
@KAH- You can bet I will bring a few dozen or more Gadsden/NRA Bumper stickers with me in Gibsonburg.

I have just finished reading "KICKINTHEPANTS" Post regarding the "Anti Government" sentiment felt by him during the lunch time Politics. I must disagree. I thought it was rather tame, and was even reminded that our targets are not "BAD GUYS" but inanimate targets, nothing more.
As Liberty Loving, Citizens & Patriots, we are ALL concerned with the direction our beloved country has/is headed. The LAST thing anybody wants is an armed conflict with our Govt, just as the Founders tried to avoid. BUT, if it really does come down to it, shouldn't we be prepared for the Battle?  As the Declaration states "Whenever any form of Government becomes destructive to these ends (Liberty and Freedom) , it is the Right of the people to abolish it, and to institute a new Govt."

I'm not sayin'...I am just sayin'

I sincerely hope to see KITP at the Gibsonburg event, if only to discuss what he felt was "wrong".

SNAKEMAN OUT.....
"The only thing necessary for Evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing"

Kick-in-the-pants

Quote from: snakeman67 on May 09, 2012, 09:18:44 AM
I sincerely hope to see KITP at the Gibsonburg event, if only to discuss what he felt was "wrong".

Well unfortunately it will have to wait for another weekend... unfortunately it's going to be a while before I'm able to attend another shoot... but I'll be back one day!  ;)

I just want to make sure you guys don't get the wrong impression here - I don't think anything was wrong, but perhaps it could have been better?  It is only said as a reminder that we should be vigilant to make sure that the thing we say at these events do not cause us to come across as anti-government in any way... regardless of how messed up I or we might think it things are going.  We can't afford to drive anybody away because we let our feelings out a little too loosely.

I will now step down from my  :sb:

LibertyGate Kate

Finally getting to the forum to say a big THANK YOU to all the Instructors and ITT's for everything you gave to us at Miamisburg. My sweet husband, Bob, who one of these days will be able to attend an Appleseed, bought me a great scope to go along with my Mother's Day/Birthday present of the new .22. (Snakeman brought it back from IL with him last weekend and set it up on my rifle---Thanks, Buddy!) Now, when I get to Gibsonburg, I will be able to shoot my own rifle! But thanks to Snakeman for letting me use his at Wooster's Ladyseed and D for letting me use her scoped .22 at Miamisburg---also the elbow pads. I've been to 3 stores now trying to find them still with no luck. BUT--I checked out the Volunteers of America Thriftstore in Upper Arlington and it was a SCORE! Well-lit, well-stocked, and I got 4 pairs of cargo pants (2 summer weight for Gibsonburg and 2 fall weight for upcoming Appleseeds in MT), a long sleeved shirt, and a sheet to make a cover for my memory foam for only $12.99!!!
I sent my mom an email link with my facebook account of my Appleseed experiences, and she wrote back expressing her interest and wondering if she's waited too long as she would like to start shooting too. She's 81 and paralyzed from her left leg down. I assured her Appleseed does everything to make shooting accessible to all Americans, including our disabled ones, and she wrote back to say that she wants Bob and I to start planning a trip down to visit her in FL based around an Appleseed! (I also have 4 friends back in MT plus our 9-yr.-old grandson and Bob planning on attending Appleseeds this summer and/or fall!)
To let you all understand how much all your passion for our nation's heritage and Appleseed, rifle marksmanship and instruction, and your personal interest in my improvement has meant to me, I will copy my facebook "Appleseed journey" thus far. I hope it brings a smile to your hearts and encouragement that what you all do is making a difference in people's lives:

"I just finished my 5th lifetime day of shooting a rifle. The first time was 2 summers ago with Kristy, Keith, and his 2 children, but that hardly counts as I did not know what I was doing, was afraid to load my own shots with bullets, and had to balance on a rock to steady my aim. 2 weekends ago I attended one of Project Appleseed's "Ladyseed" events - a women-only marksmanship and heritage/history weekend. Despite 30 degree temps and snow on Sat., all 9 women ranging in age from 10 to 59 stuck it out for both days of instruction being outside for 9 hours each day. It was amazing! Before going, rifles intimidated me! I came home feeling totally comfortable with a rifle. I'm not a great shot by any means, but now I know how to get there! Appleseed succeeds in doing that for everyone who attends! We learned use of GI websling and proper techniques for prone, sitting, kneeling, and standing. We shot a "Redcoats" target, the AQT (Army Qualifying Target), and also a sighting-in target that teaches MOA (minutes of angle) where you learn to convert your groupings from inches to minutes to clicks on the sight (works equally for iron sights and scopes).
This is the same type of rifle marksmenship instruction that was standard for our military. The instructors also taught several hours of the "real" history of our American Revolution each day during lunch and breaks, emphasizing the choices and sacrifices our forefathers made to secure our liberty. If history was boring for you in school, I promise you won't snooze through this. You'll come away awed at what our forefathers did for us. This past Friday night, I went out and bought myself (with Bob's blessing--combined Mother's Day and birthday present) a Ruger LTR 10-22. This weekend, I went to Miamisburg OH to attend my second Appleseed. The weather this weekend was equally horrendous, but on the other end of the scale with mid-80-degree temps, 100% humidity (very hard on a Montana girl), standing water, and mud everywhere. I can honestly say, even with the horses and all the muddy high school rodeos we've attended, I have never been THAT MUDDY in my ENTIRE LIFE! There were 19 participants, a wife with her husband and 2 young daughters, 2 other young girls with their dad who was an instructor, myself, and 12 great guys. Everyone was friendly and helpful, and a lot of camaraderie was experienced throughout the weekend. After an Appleseed, you leave feeling you've made a bunch of new friends. There were 8 instructors for the 19 of us; great ratio, eh? All were guys except one--Donna, who had been one of the instructors at the Ladyseed. She compassionately lent me her rifle all weekend cuz my poor close vision couldn't focus on the iron sights on my new rifle, and her scoped .22 really made the difference. My first weekend's best (when I used tech. sights) on the AQT was an 80, but by this Sat. afternoon (just my 4th day of shooting) I improved my score by 30 points to a 110. When we shot our Redcoats targets, I got 2 out of 3 each of the 100-yd, 200-yd, and 300-yd silouettes, but I cleared my 3 400-yd silouettes, and my single shot 500-yd headshot both days. In fact, on Sat., I shot a perfect bulleyes dead-center! Appleseed WORKS!
In MT there are 3 reasonably close Appleseeds coming up, Great Falls: July 14-15, Boulder MT: Sept. 15-16, and 3 Forks: Sept. 29-30. When we get home, I'm 99% sure I will attend at least 1 in MT. Let me know if you want to attend, too! Even if you are an experienced marksman, I'll bet you will learn something new, plus you'll get to actually test your own marksmanship on the AQT and earn the right to a "Rifleman" patch.
Ladies only pay a small registration fee, usually $10, and kids under 18 shoot free! Even for men, it's only $70 for 2 solid days of shooting. You will shoot at least 350 rounds at a Ladyseed, and close to 500 rounds at a regular Appleseed. I have actually joined the Revolutionary War Veterans Asso. and can shoot for free for the rest of the year. Take your kids, too. You won't believe how much they will learn.
Here's the website: www.appleseedusa.org
Be sure to click http://www.appleseedusa.org/search-states.php?filter=MT&statename=Montana
for MT events, or click your own state for upcoming events in your area.
Also check out http://www.appleseedusa.org/why_come.html and http://www.appleseedusa.org/as_prepare.html These links will take you to other helpful pages. Before I left, I had read and printed out at least 25 pages of great info. As you can probably tell, I am really impressed with this organization and its goals. I was impressed with them before I arrived from what I read online. They have lived up to all my expectations and more! All the instructors are passionate, dedicated volunteers, and all have passed the military's "Rifleman" qualification.
Hope this helps "push you over the line" and check this out. Fox News said of Project Appleseed: "This will be the next BIG thing that nobody saw coming." It could very well save this nation from losing our heritage and freedom to apathy and ignorance. Please check it out!"   

LibertyGate Kate

To Meanstreaker---------->Hope to see you at Gibsonburg cuz I'm bringing a little surprise I think you'll like...